Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wheeze the Juice (formerly Native Roots)

1. Default Re: Native Roots

I'm hardly the poster child for organic food consumption, but have discovered a few things by accident shopping at Native Roots:

1. Organic milk tastes better and stays good for weeks. I mostly only use it for coffee and can usually not kill a half-gallon of supermarket milk before its date, but organic milk is usually good for nearly a month. I've also read up a bit on the overmilking, hormones and antibiotics in most factory milk and don't like AT ALL what I've read. *shudder* Sorry, I'm weird about milk.
    2. Likewise, bananas taste better and last longer. I can rarely make it through a bunch of supermarket bananas, but those from NR stay fresh much longer.
    3. The beef i get there has fantastic flavor. Especially love the filets from Wichita Buffalo Co.
    4. The selection of local/Oklahoma goods is excellent, and I really enjoy trying/using Oklahoma products.

Default Re: Native Roots

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    In my opinion the risk is so minimal it's just not worth the extra expense. As I said, I won't fault those want that but it's just not something that interests me in the least. I could also live on an isolated island in the Pacific to avoid many potential pollution problems too, but I'm not going to.
    Yeah, I agree. It's cool for some stuff, but it's not at all practical to use for regular groceries. And to say the time and money saved by not traveling to 18th and Classen is a tradeoff is a bit of a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    I'll argue against this point until the cows come home. Native Roots was our primary grocery store while we lived in Deep Deuce. It worked perfect for that. Everything tastes great. Fantastic service. I can't imagine living in Deep Deuce and shopping elsewhere.
    I use it for maybe half of my grocery shopping. I'd like to do more there, but I can't get some of the things I like there. Still, if most of the neighbor hood used them for half of their groceries, they'd be killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    I'll argue against this point until the cows come home. Native Roots was our primary grocery store while we lived in Deep Deuce. It worked perfect for that. Everything tastes great. Fantastic service. I can't imagine living in Deep Deuce and shopping elsewhere.
    But you didn't have a car. Their selection is not large enough for most households not to complement their groceriy needs at another more encompassing store. Now if you have to walk miles or catch the bus, essentially adding a huge hassle to your efforts, I can see why you would make due with what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    Their selection is not large enough for most households not to complement their groceriy needs at another more encompassing store.
    I agree. I'm pretty sure the Carless in OKC people use TimeCar to go to Sprouts for groceries. If Native Roots was sufficient, I doubt they would do that. I've had a tough time convincing my girlfriend,who lives in midtown, to buy anything here. Selection is too small and she can get similar items for significantly cheaper, in her opinion. If all organic everything is what you like, great. Perfect store for you. But it doesn't work for a large percentage of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point about antibiotics in meat is not about personal risk. It's about collective risk. Sweden dramatically dropped the incidence of MRSA infections in their country by refusing to allow feed animals to be given antibiotics and by educating their populace about antibiotic overuse for viral infections like colds and sore throats. Read "The Killers Within" if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I agree. I'm pretty sure the Carless in OKC people use TimeCar to go to Sprouts for groceries. If Native Roots was sufficient, I doubt they would do that. I've had a tough time convincing my girlfriend,who lives in midtown, to buy anything here. Selection is too small and she can get similar items for significantly cheaper, in her opinion. If all organic everything is what you like, great. Perfect store for you. But it doesn't work for a large percentage of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True, if you're driving to NR, you might as well drive to a full service store which has everything under the sun - but to dismiss NR as inadequate is probably not giving them a chance. I'll also admit that my default place to go is Whole Foods, not NR (especially if I'm craving some pizza) - but it's pretty impressive just how much NR carries and usually has in stock when you want it. I'm definitely going to try to switch as much grocery shopping I can to NR. The extra cost is more than made up for by not having to drive.

One of the best things I like about Native Roots is their customer service. They told us to make a list of anything we typically buy that they don't stock and they'll try their best to get it for us. Never had an offer like that from another grocer. One time I went looking for ground chipotle powder I needed for a recipe. Doug told me he didn't have any but he would be happy to grind a couple for me, which he did. I try to make Native Roots my first grocery stop so I can buy what they have that I need before going anywhere else. I don't do all my grocery shopping there but it's great to get what I can so close to home.

I shop there 3 or 4 times a week.
    Lomah milk is the best milk on the planet (unless you are lucky enough to get raw) Pricey but definitely worth it. We are milk snobs. lol
    Their salads are delish! The Mediterranean and Walnut are my picks. The quinoa is awesome and their Hummus's are out of this world.
    I like eating locally grown, organic products and will pay extra for the privileged.
    Their custom salts are really cool too.

The customer service is also the very best of any grocer I've ever encountered.

Their milk stays fresh longer than milk from the supermarket. And they carry the kind of bread I like. I'm delighted to have them there.

OKC is so lucky to have them.

And for anyone who hasn't gotten to know Matt & Sara you really should make it a point to do so. Incredibly nice, sharp and motivated young couple.

I know for a fact that they are not only being recruited by almost every district in town, they have also been approached by several other cities (Chicago, KC, etc.). But for now, they plan to concentrate on just this one store.

Last weekend we prepared this recipe, Slow-Cooker Pork Tacos Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network, among others. In the olden days prior to Native Roots, we would have needed to drive to WF and buy large wasteful quantities of herbs, peppers, and spices. Now we walked a block and got ALL of them from native roots, in the exact quantity necessary. Not since we lived in Dallas could we walk in and ask for one cinnamon stick, four Ancho chiles, 4 Pasilla chiles, etc., rather than dig through the cabinet to find they had expired last year.

One of the many delights of urban living!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OKC is so lucky to have them.

And for anyone who hasn't gotten to know Matt & Sara you really should make it a point to do so. Incredibly nice, sharp and motivated young couple.

I know for a fact that they are not only being recruited by almost every district in town, they have also been approached by several other cities (Chicago, KC, etc.). But for now, they plan to concentrate on just this one store.
    No kiddin - after Edge fills up, would they consider opening in midtown? Would be a home run for sure! Plus could capture the Saints lunch crowd too with sandwiches and ready-made foods from their deli which are oh-so-delicious. Echo the comments about their hummus above - I am freaking addicted to their chipotle and jalapeno hummuses. Can't imagine you can get anything even close to that elsewhere in OKC, and certainly not within walking distance. Several months ago I mentioned that I'm also addicted to Beanitos (go perfect with their hummus), and wa-la - a few weeks later they are well stocked with Beanitos - not only that but at a cheaper price than whole foods. DD is an amazing neighborhood now, but just wouldn't have been the same without NR.

I miss Native Roots in Norman, and hope they eventually open up a second store where they originally began. Closer to OU in or by Campus Corner would be preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    No kiddin - after Edge fills up, would they consider opening in midtown? Would be a home run for sure! Plus could capture the Saints lunch crowd too with sandwiches and ready-made foods from their deli which are oh-so-delicious. Echo the comments about their hummus above - I am freaking addicted to their chipotle and jalapeno hummuses. Can't imagine you can get anything even close to that elsewhere in OKC, and certainly not within walking distance. Several months ago I mentioned that I'm also addicted to Beanitos (go perfect with their hummus), and wa-la - a few weeks later they are well stocked with Beanitos - not only that but at a cheaper price than whole foods. DD is an amazing neighborhood now, but just wouldn't have been the same without NR.
    Definitely too soon to open a store a mile and a half from their only store. Norman would be a natural add, back to their start.

A bit off topic, organic milk or any milk lasts longer if it is ultrahigh temp pasturized. It kills the milk sugars. I've tasted some of the organic milk that is UHT pasturized. Not as good as Kalonia organic low temp pasturized milk. It does not last as long but about the same as reg milk. It is not homiginized so it has cream on top and does taste sweet. Another difference is that they don't use all "factory cows" (Holsteins) The milk is sourced from Amish and Menionite farmers, who have a variety of cows. (Brown Swiss, Milking Shorthorn, Jersey, Gernsey) In mind its much better tasting. I've tasted another brand of non homiginized milk that was from Holstein cows and it was not as good. Just my two cents. And no I don't get paid by Kalonia. They do have a $2 off coupon on their website.

I will agree with a lot of others that it is expensive to do all of your grocery shopping here, but I have started to do some of mine here and I really enjoy it. The yogurt they sell here is off the charts, the best I have ever had, and you can also buy the same sourdough bread that the deli uses. I try to make it for lunch once a week for their deli sandwiches, which are excellent. I really want to see this place succeed and will continue to shop here frequently, much better experience than fighting Wal Mart and their unruly crowds.

Apparently they've completely redone themselves, and are being supplied/run by Uptown now and are more of a "real" grocery store. Read about it on Lackmeyer's chat today.

Yes, this has been the case for a month or two now and when I called them for some reason they wanted to keep it a secret.

This place is much more like a convenience store now. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, this has been the case for a month or two now and when I called them for some reason they wanted to keep it a secret.
    Is it a case of not wanting to appear like “selling out” by utilizing a larger chain to support their offerings?

They went with a local chain, it’s not like there are Walmart trucks delivering things there.

Now I kinda think they should just call themselves "Uptown Grocers" so people will think of them more of a grocery store rather than a specialty shop. I think they'd get more business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Now I kinda think they should just call themselves "Uptown Grocers" so people will think of them more of a grocery store rather than a specialty shop. I think they'd get more business.
    I was about to post this.

If they want people who may not have liked the original concept to give them another try, it would be smart for them to rebrand.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I was about to post this.

If they want people who may not have liked the original concept to give them another try, it would be smart for them to rebrand.
    Yes, especially since people are still talking about how they don't serve the needs of customers, don't have things in stock that they should in a standard grocery store, etc., even though they've changed drastically now. They need to get rid of that negative image and not just by word of it trickling out on chats and message boards (although both have sizeable audiences). Not sure if they're actually owned/run by the Uptown Grocery/Buy4Less folks, though, or just supplied by them, so not sure if it's possible to rebrand.

25. Default Re: Native Roots

I'm really happy about this change. Now we can actually afford to buy basic things like milk without needing to get in the car. They have a lot of convenience store items now, so I'm sure we'll be frequenting much more than before.

Thread Information