Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wheeze the Juice (formerly Native Roots)

1. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

I asked my wife (who works at OU) if she'd been to the Native Roots shop in Norman. She had. I don't know how thoroughly she looked everything over, but she did say that prices struck her as being unreasonably high. She didn't remark about the quality of the offerings, e.g., produce, meats. Still, I remain optimistic about this development.

Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

i went to both native roots and forward foods about three weeks ago and noticed that some of the same items were $2-$3 cheaper at native roots. just sayin' -M

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I asked my wife (who works at OU) if she'd been to the Native Roots shop in Norman. She had. I don't know how thoroughly she looked everything over, but she did say that prices struck her as being unreasonably high. She didn't remark about the quality of the offerings, e.g., produce, meats. Still, I remain optimistic about this development.
    People will usually pay a little extra for convenience and quality. I suspect it will be very popular with people within walking distance. I suppose drive-up customers will reuire items not readily available elsewhere.

4. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i went to both native roots and forward foods about three weeks ago and noticed that some of the same items were $2-$3 cheaper at native roots. just sayin' -M
    Good to hear.

NATIVE ROOTS MARKET TO OPEN IN DEEP DEUCE
    Native Roots, a Norman market, is expanding to downtown OKC. The location itself, the future Level Urban Apartments, is still under construction. The corner spot at NE 2 and Walnut was reserved for such a grocery by developer Richard McKown from the moment the project was announced last year.

Native Roots feels like an old-fashioned neighborhood grocery — the sort still found in New York City and Chicago. The store also will include a small deli section not included in the Norman store. Read the full NewsOK article.

6. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

So what's the consensus - is Deep Deuce better off with a Native Roots or would Forward Foods have been better?

I think they both would have been successful. I personally like Forward Foods better, but that is just because I love cheese. FF has a huge cheese selection, but Native Roots has a better produce selection.

8. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

Mmm...cheese...

9. Default Re: Native Roots to Deep Deuce!

Now I can't stop thinking about cheese. Thanks, OKCTalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    So what's the consensus - is Deep Deuce better off with a Native Roots or would Forward Foods have been better?
    Well I don't think this is a done deal, because Native Roots came out of nowhere. Forward Foods and Crescent Market were being too slow and hesitant to make the jump downtown, and Native Roots just seized the opportunity while the time was right. These other grocers might shy off now, but now I think it depends how much these stores get cannibalized by Whole Foods. I think Crescent Market is much more likely to move now because of who they pay rent to, but eventually, I think one will move and the other will stay. It will be interesting to watch.

Just like Jeff, I too heard that FF was really close to sealing the deal. I'm curious why they backed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well I don't think this is a done deal, because Native Roots came out of nowhere. Forward Foods and Crescent Market were being too slow and hesitant to make the jump downtown, and Native Roots just seized the opportunity while the time was right. These other grocers might shy off now, but now I think it depends how much these stores get cannibalized by Whole Foods. I think Crescent Market is much more likely to move now because of who they pay rent to, but eventually, I think one will move and the other will stay. It will be interesting to watch.

Just like Jeff, I too heard that FF was really close to sealing the deal. I'm curious why they backed off.
    What is it that you think is not a done deal? As for cannibalization by Whole Foods, I don't think that is a big concern for someone wanting to tap into the downtown market. I think those living in the downtown area are much more likely to shop there when possible than drive several miles to Whole Foods unless there is something that just isn't available. Whole Foods is not a destination for those looking for the basic weekly shopping.

Default Re: Native Roots

I swear there was another thread about native roots - can't find it so I thought I'd revive this one. I hope they're doing well. Went several times for lunch this week and they seemed to be a lot busier than before. Lots of activity at lunchtime - even had to wait a bit so they could make my sandwich! I love this place and can't wait for them to expand their options (read: coffee!). Pretty awesome that they sell their homemade Indian food so quickly. With Mosaic, Maywood, and aloft (finally) opening, they should continue to do better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    I swear there was another thread about native roots - can't find it so I thought I'd revive this one. I hope they're doing well. Went several times for lunch this week and they seemed to be a lot busier than before. Lots of activity at lunchtime - even had to wait a bit so they could make my sandwich! I love this place and can't wait for them to expand their options (read: coffee!). Pretty awesome that they sell their homemade Indian food so quickly. With Mosaic, Maywood, and aloft (finally) opening, they should continue to do better and better.
    Glad to hear business is picking up for them. I hope they can continue to weather this initial period of lagging sales due to the neighborhood not being fully built out.

Yes, things are only going to go up -- and probably way up -- from here.

The delays at Aloft and all that disruptive construction was like their own private Project 180.

But the amount of people living and staying in the immediate neighborhood is getting ready to go up dramatically, plus they'll benefit from the added traffic from Urban Johnnie, OKSea and the bars and restaurants at Aloft.

I've started to really like Native Roots. I just sucks that it's not very practical for regular use. It's just too expensive and I'm not super into organic food.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I've started to really like Native Roots. I just sucks that it's not very practical for regular use. It's just too expensive and I'm not super into organic food.
    I've found their prices competitive on most things. Some stuff (like talenti gelato) is actually cheaper than at whole foods. Plus think about how much time and money you save by not driving...

We like to go there for staples and local items. I was in there about a week ago and was told they are getting ready to get bread deliveries 3 times a week from Prairie Thunder bakery.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Some stuff (like talenti gelato) is actually cheaper than at whole foods. Plus think about how much time and money you save by not driving...
    That may be true but it's not an everyday item for most people (me, since I've never bought any).

They're great for produce and their dry goods. I REALLY wish they had more standard offerings for staples like trash bags and aluminum foil. Theirs is some sort of environmentally friendly variety that in the end, sucks. Everything else is great and I go there as much as I can

And even though organic is expensive, you're not only protecting your health, but you're helping stop the pressure on farmers to use pesticides and herbicides, to give their animals steroids and antibiotics. If people refuse to buy regular fruits and vegetables and meats, the market will figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    And even though organic is expensive, you're not only protecting your health, but you're helping stop the pressure on farmers to use pesticides and herbicides, to give their animals steroids and antibiotics. If people refuse to buy regular fruits and vegetables and meats, the market will figure that out.
    Betts, my opinion is that if people want to spend more money for organic foods, it's fine with me but it is mostly a feel good exercise. Most recent studies I have seen agree with this.

Is Organic Really Better? - Scientific American

But is it really better for you and the planet?

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: yes, at least as far as pesticide residues and energy use goes. Quote: "Organic agriculture already uses less fossil fuel based on inputs and has a better carbon footprint than standard agricultural practices," the FAO said in a 2007 report (link is to a PDF.)
    But it doesn't seem that organic food is any more nutritious.

No, no more nutritious, I agree. But I know that antibiotics in meat cause problems with bacterial resistance and herbicides and pesticides in some quantity are not good for you. Some of them may be killing the bees, which could be a big problem. So why exposé yourself if you don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    No, no more nutritious, I agree. But I know that antibiotics in meat cause problems with bacterial resistance and herbicides and pesticides in some quantity are not good for you. Some of them may be killing the bees, which could be a big problem. So why exposé yourself if you don't have to?
    In my opinion the risk is so minimal it's just not worth the extra expense. As I said, I won't fault those want that but it's just not something that interests me in the least. I could also live on an isolated island in the Pacific to avoid many potential pollution problems too, but I'm not going to.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    In my opinion the risk is so minimal it's just not worth the extra expense. As I said, I won't fault those want that but it's just not something that interests me in the least. I could also live on an isolated island in the Pacific to avoid many potential pollution problems too, but I'm not going to.
    Well a lot of folks in OKC would be really, really happy to have a selection like what Native Roots offers within walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Well a lot of folks in OKC would be really, really happy to have a selection like what Native Roots offers within walking distance.
    I agree but that has nothing to do with my points.

Thread Information