Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In-N-Out

Default Re: In-N-Out

Man I do miss In-N-Out.

Didn't there used to be a White Castle in Moore, on the service road just north of 12th street?

3. Default Re: In-N-Out

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Tried it twice, once in 1976 in Memphis and once in 2003 in Illinois...no need to eat there again.
    I understand completely. Anyone I know that has eaten White Castle has either loved it or hated it. I've never really known anyone that was in between those two extremes.

4. Default Re: In-N-Out

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Didn't there used to be a White Castle in Moore, on the service road just north of 12th street?
    I don't think there was ever one in Moore unless it was there before 1980.

There was a burger place where Pickle's is, and if I remember right it may have even been called Pickle's then too, that served sliders back around 1986-87.

I remember going in there as a highschooler because they were selling $0.25 burgers. I hadn't seen $0.25 buirgers since I was a young child in the 70's and my parents would get a bag of burgers at McDonald's for $0.25 each. So imagine how disappointed we were when these little square burgers came out. We felt ripped off... LOL

What I find odd about White Castle is that it originated in Wichita but is no longer found in Kansas. I think the closest one to here is in Missouri.

It's been awhile since I've been down that way but there was a Fajita place in the building the last time I noticed. This woulda been some time around 1983 or so. Coincidentally, SWMBO mentioned something about it a few nights ago and I vaguely remembered it.

6. Default Re: In-N-Out

Las Fajitas has been there since the early to mid 80's. I don't remember what year exactly it opened.

My mom was the accountant for Las Fajitas back then and she confirmed that you are correct. That is where the slider burger place was before it became Las Fajitas and not where I thought it was at 27th.

White Castle was located in the spot where Las Fajitas is now.

8. Default Re: In-N-Out

I sure don't remember it being a White Castle..... I did drink a lot from 85-87 but I thought it had another name.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Must be something really wrong with my brain because I would rather eat a McDonalds fry than 5 Guys.
    McD's fries are very good -- when fresh out of the fryer.

10. Default Re: In-N-Out

I found this Time Line for White Castle and it never mentions anything about opening any locations in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    McD's fries are very good -- when fresh out of the fryer.
    McDonald's fries are very good when they're hot out of the fryer. They're the worst fries though when they're cold or just warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    McDonald's fries are very good when they're hot out of the fryer. They're the worst fries though when they're cold or just warm.
    I am a white castle fan and there has never been one in Ok.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I think McDonald's has magic heat lamps over the fries. Whether fresh from the fryer or fresh from under the heat lamp, McDonald's fries have an edibility lifespan of five minutes max. For that five minute span--and that is pushing it--they aren't bad at all. Eat them first before you touch anything else on your order. If you spend too much time sampling whatever else it was you ordered instead of plowing through the fries, they will have turned to . . . whatever alien, non-organic, mass they were carved or extruded from in the first place. Perhaps they come from another department in the lab that created the McRib.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I am a white castle fan and there has never been one in Ok.....
    Four people have confirmed there was at the location mentioned but think whatever you want. It didn't last long but there was definitely one there.

During each and every one of our visits "UpNord"--in the vicinity of the twin cities--we drove by many a White Castle Burger place. I was really wanting to sample The Legend. My wife, who grew up there, never indicated that stopping to try one out would be a good idea. I didn't want to argue . . . and I wasn't really hungry. =)

I was working out in California (Central Valley) out of Sacramento, the others that I was working out there with (locals) kept telling me about this new burger place in Modesto they loved. We turn the corner and it was a Sonic....I busted out laughing. I told them they were as common in OKC as Subway stores and my sister had worked at one when she was in high school (the old 23rd & Council location) so they weren't anything real special to me.

Tried it twice, once in 1976 in Memphis and once in 2003 in Illinois...no need to eat there again.
    It looks like the old Krispy Kreme on 240 will be some kind of burger joint I wonder if In/Out ill have a location there.

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    It looks like the old Krispy Kreme on 240 will be some kind of burger joint I wonder if In/Out ill have a location there.
    Maybe the Sonic pope who just quit was ahead of the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I found this Time Line for White Castle and it never mentions anything about opening any locations in Oklahoma.
    Was it maybe a Krystal which is a southern White Castle clone? I seem to remember some in Texas many, many years ago.

The best burgers ever were at TwinBurger, out on Arapaho Ave, on the way to the Motorena Drive-In.
    Their fries were nothing to sneeze at and they introduced the concept of the "banana shake" to an entire community yearning to expand their horizons.

20. Default Re: In-N-Out

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    I'm guessing this is going to be another Garage since Hal Smith owns that building.

21. Default Re: In-N-Out

Was it maybe a Krystal which is a southern White Castle clone? I seem to remember some in Texas many, many years ago.
    I'm sure it wasn't a Krystal's.... It may very well have been called White Castle but it wasn't a White Castle which could be the reason it didn't last very long.

I remember the time I ate there the burgers tasted like the hamburgers served in school cafeterias and it was nothing like the White Castles I have had anywhere else.

You are correct. Krystal was founded in Chattanoga and recently relocated their corporate headquarters to Atlanta. There were several Krystal Burgers in the DFW area, however, they seemed to have all closed down.There may be a few left, but the ones I know of have all closed. I was never a fan of either White Castle or Krystal.

MadMonk Guest

Had my first experience with In-N-Out back in '03. Good stuff, but nothing I couldn't live without. I was in Irving a couple weeks ago and they have one there now so I tried it again for lunch one day. On the recommendation of a coworker who grew up in southern Cali, I tried the double-double, animal style. It was a very good, tasty burger with what seemed like high quality ingredients but, again nothing I couldn't live without. It definitly has a distinct flavor so I could see how someone might crave it if that's what you grew up with.

As for fries, they were okay, but I like the fries at Tucker's better (as well as the burger - can't beat a good onion burger IMHO).

The place in Moore was not a White Castle. It was a White Castle clone with a different name. I think it was locally owned. White Castle started in Wichita, yet there are no White Castles in Wichita now. Most White Castles are East of the Mississippi River even though they have some in Denver. They are popular in St. Louis also. I think the burgers are ok, but nothing spectacular.

I like In-N-Out Burger too. I would rather eat a local burger like Nic's or an El Reno style onion burger though. I am not going to wait for an hour for an In-N-Out burger. Another California chain I like is Fatburger. Magic Johnson invested in the chain a few years ago and they opened some new locations outside of the west coast. There was one in the Jax Brewery Building in the French Quarter in New Orleans that closed after Hurricane Katrina.

Bigray in Ok

If you want the old-style McDonald's fries, and they're the best to me, you have to ask for the fries unsalted. One taste will bring back memories. They let you salt them yourself with little packets back in the day and most of the people I knew never did.

Thread Information