Widgets Magazine
Page 204 of 217 FirstFirst ... 104154199200201202203204205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Pavers and landscaping going in. Robinson is torn to hell and won't reopen until December.

Beauty is pain. December is just around the corner though.

Blog Entries

Planned conventions are already being pushed back. CNU 2021 was supposed to be in OKC in May, showing off the OKC new hotness, but it's been advised that 2021 will likely be virtual as 2020 was. Attempting 2022 for OKC if so.

Heard from an inside source that the building is supposed to be complete at the beginning of Oct. Any contractor not complete by then will be paying ***big time*** in liquidated damages, like 10's of thousands per day. It will be so cool to have this gem finally open to the public.
    Last edited by Ian Drake; 09-13-2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Drake View Post
    Heard from an inside source that the building is supposed to be complete at the beginning of Oct. Any contractor not complete by then will be paying ***big time*** in liquidated damages, like 10's of thousands per day. It will be so cool to have this gem finally open to the public.
    Yes, 'substantial completion'.

They still will have a couple of months to fix the little things after the city does their walk-through.

Completion means completion. If I build a restaurant and the contractor tells me I will be open by Thanksgiving, they will be done by thanksgiving. I will not be walking around with them looking at "little things" on thanksgiving. I will be walking around looking at those "little things" at least two weeks before then. Once turnover date hits, I am assessing him/her for liquidated damages, based on a full restaurant during all open hours and all staff pay even during closed hours for all days after the agreed turnover date. Substantial is quite open to interpretation. Completion is not. just my 2 cents.

Plus, if it's not done by the agreed upon date, the city stands to make money, which can go into a surplus fund. That is a bonus for the city. Not so much for the contractors. Hope they are done by Oct! Don't want to be the one that isn't lol!

David Todd, MAPS Program Manager, said the project continues to go well and remains under budget. Contractors have to reach “substantial completion” by Oct. 7 before handing over keys to city officials.

“We will do our walkthrough after Oct. 7. We will look for things that need corrected, fixed, or changed. We will develop a punch list for the contractor to make the modifications. They have 60 days to fix things before we consider it final. Then it will be city-owned and operated.”
    http://okcretail.com/news/2020/09/09...-under-budget/

"Virtual Sky" is set to start installation and should be in by the first week of November and then digital programming will follow.

Should look amazing from the park.

i saw the convention center for the first time at night last week while heading northbound on walker... it already looks great lit up at night even before that art installation.

That utility construction south of the convention surface lot and all along Robinson is something to behold.

It looks like a sewer line big enough to stand up in.

All this should come together in the next few months: Robison will be finished in December, complete with roundabout; convention center and light installation should be done about that same time; then right after the first of the year, the Omni should open along with its several restaurants (although not sure Bob's Steakhouse is still on schedule).

Years of work and planning will all wrap up and open in the very near future. Will be cool to see.

Robinson being redone at the same time the CC is still under construction is one of the better moves from the city that I can remember.

I wish the CC roof was covered in solar panels.

Construction update:

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Robinson being redone at the same time the CC is still under construction is one of the better moves from the city that I can remember.

I wish the CC roof was covered in solar panels.
    I was just thinking it seems like a no brainer to place solar panels on the empty flat rooftop.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I was just thinking it seems like a no brainer to place solar panels on the empty flat rooftop.
    Not when most the powerful people in OKC are affiliated with oil and gas.

Blog Entries

It can be added at any time. Not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It can be added at any time. Not that hard.
    True. There is extra expense. I bet they will eventually add it down the road.

Blog Entries

True. There is extra expense. I bet they will eventually add it down the road.
    If it is a net producer, the city might be able to get an esco (energy savings co.) to install equipment for a share of the savings.

Hi Pete, the lot south of the surface parking lot, does it connect to the park? I remember seeing a tunnel going through the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Hi Pete, the lot south of the surface parking lot, does it connect to the park? I remember seeing a tunnel going through the bridge.
    No, that tunnel was under the railroad tracks to east.

https://goo.gl/maps/SuThZeLHhwvX36kW7

There is a tunnel under Robinson as seen from Skydance Bridge.

^

Oh, right.

But that is well south of the surface lot being constructed.

Thread Information