Widgets Magazine
Page 190 of 217 FirstFirst ... 90140185186187188189190191192193194195 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Blog Entries

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It’s actually too cloudy to be a reliable source of energy here.
    Not really true. And there is a difference in using solar for part of the energy equation and using it for a commercial farm. Commercial farms take costly infrastructure to connect it to the grid and that is an impediment. Putting it on top of a building to help with peak load requirements is efficient and smart. OGE is in competition and not going to promote it. They don’t want to buy back any generation.

2. Default Re: Convention Center

I just got my first close look at the convention center and omni hotel. Very impressive.

Blog Entries

Glad you're back, Doug. I mean, maybe you never left, but I don't seem to see your posts often these days.

4. Default Re: Convention Center

Thanks. I've been largely absent. Good to be back.

5. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...ge=solar_where

There’s some data from the government. We have good to just ok solar not great.
    You're right as far as concentrating solar is concerned. Cloudy days even partly cloudy make concentrating a no-go; which is why most of the country is not too suited for it.

However, Photovoltaic solar is great and any score 5+ is worthwhile. We're talking about photovoltaic panels here for the CC, even if there isn't a bonanza of power produced there should be enough for the cc to at least offset some of its electricity costs. That is very useful for those days when the cc isn't in use or even when it is solar could increase profitability of the cc (or perhaps lower fees making OKC even more attractive destination).

I just observed it to be a lost opportunity that with government emphasis and since this IS a government project - seems to be a no-brainer of technology implementation. That as opposed to a 4+ acre metal roof that picture shows; I'd rather have the solar PV up there or if not then a green roof.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    You're right as far as concentrating solar is concerned. Cloudy days even partly cloudy make concentrating a no-go; which is why most of the country is not too suited for it.

However, Photovoltaic solar is great and any score 5+ is worthwhile. We're talking about photovoltaic panels here for the CC, even if there isn't a bonanza of power produced there should be enough for the cc to at least offset some of its electricity costs. That is very useful for those days when the cc isn't in use or even when it is solar could increase profitability of the cc (or perhaps lower fees making OKC even more attractive destination).

I just observed it to be a lost opportunity that with government emphasis and since this IS a government project - seems to be a no-brainer of technology implementation. That as opposed to a 4+ acre metal roof that picture shows; I'd rather have the solar PV up there or if not then a green roof.
    OKC sits in what is generally referred to as zone 2. Much of the deep southwest, except for coastal areas, are Zone 1. There are plenty of concentrated solar in other weaker areas. OKC just doesn’t have any, and I don’t think there are any in OK period. Btw, Tulsa is in the lower Tier 3.

7. Default Re: Convention Center

A huge amount of misunderstanding in the thread. My company is building massive solar projects (3,500 acres; 400-500MW) in MI, IL, IN, even Canada at substantial profit, and without the need for tax credits. We would be delighted to locate a few in OK, too. But Oklahoma's problem is not solar irradiance, it's the Southwest Power Pool's rules.

Now, back to the convention center.

From Sunday:

That hotel behind the convention center, on the corner, sure looks dwarfed by everything...

^

Fairfield Inn.

It's like a battle zone down there and they are clearly in no hurry to finish and get open, and it looks like they could have done that a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Fairfield Inn.

It's like a battle zone down there and they are clearly in no hurry to finish and get open, and it looks like they could have done that a while ago.
    Saw an article in the Oklahoman stating they are waiting to open until access is easier to get. With all the construction, they are waiting a bit.

Off topic I know; but I just wanted to mention some solar out west.

South of the powerplant by Overholser:

North side:

https://goo.gl/maps/6hKQtWtdZVcTt6Di9

So I see there is a garage that connects garage/omni to convention center? I can see why the plans for the second bridge was dropped, its a little bit more of a walk but guest could use the garage skybridge.

I'm already ready for that Fairfield Inn to be demolished and scraped. That was such a lousy hotel to settle on for that spot. And it's only going to look worse once the apartments and garage are built.

That's so funny...I first thought that Fairfield was in the middle of nowhere and now it is in the middle of everywhere lol

So much potential in the large vacant lot/old CC planned site between the Myriad BG and Scissortail Park. It's actually an eye-sore right now, but I hope that whoever owns it (Midtown Renaissance?) develops something special there.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    So much potential in the large vacant lot/old CC planned site between the Myriad BG and Scissortail Park. It's actually an eye-sore right now, but I hope that whoever owns it (Midtown Renaissance?) develops something special there.
    I just saw the Thunder renewed their parking contract for season ticket holders.

They make very good money from arena parking so they can sit on that property for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    I'm already ready for that Fairfield Inn to be demolished and scraped. That was such a lousy hotel to settle on for that spot. And it's only going to look worse once the apartments and garage are built.
    It was an inspired first step for building up the additional hotel room stock we'll need in the general area of the convention center, with room on the block for another hotel at some point in the future. The city is fortunate they were forward thinking and took the plunge of building in what was the middle nowhere when they started.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It was an inspired first step for building up the additional hotel room stock we'll need in the general area of the convention center, with room on the block for another hotel at some point in the future. The city is fortunate they were forward thinking and took the plunge of building in what was the middle nowhere when they started.
    The hotel operators knew the convention center and park were going in when they built this underwhelming hotel. Let's not re-write history and pretend they propelled development in the area in some way.

This wasn't the original spot and this hotel was in the works before they announced a location for the c.c.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    This wasn't the original spot and this hotel was in the works before they announced a location for the c.c.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this location was a convention center possibility when they announced and before they actually started construction, no? They could have just not built if the convention center went elsewhere, no? I don't remember the exact timeline. Either way, the park was always slated for this location, correct? Putting in a small, cookie cutter hotel in this area where so much public infrastructure about to be pumped in just wasn't much of a gamble.

Since this will be open next year, are there any exciting conventions or events that are scheduled to happen that would not have occurred had this not been built?

Dankrutka- you're right and wrong. This hotel was in the works for quite a while. The c.c. wasn't close to being a done deal for that area. Remember they had to swap land just to make everything fit. After the second proposal came out everybody loved it. After they started building the Omni up, everyone started to hate it.

Thread Information