Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 217 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

It would surprise me if the cc was designed to send folk out the doors for their food. A food court or some other form of multiple choice grub access just seems more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    It would surprise me if the cc was designed to send folk out the doors for their food. A food court or some other form of multiple choice grub access just seems more likely.
    Well, a food court would finalize the trinity of terribleness for this project: terrible location, terrible amenities, and terribly funded. A food court would waste some of the most valuable land in the state of Oklahoma by deterring, maybe even discouraging, any private development.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Well, a food court would finalize the trinity of terribleness for this project: terrible location, terrible amenities, and terribly funded. A food court would waste some of the most valuable land in the state of Oklahoma by deterring, maybe even discouragin, any private development.
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Now if we could only get the cc elevated, people would never walk out the door.

They had talked about it being completely self contained early on so folks wouldn't have to leave if they didn't want to, but certainly could go to Bricktown or where ever they chose. What I was talking about earlier wasn't the C.C. folks having to exit to get to the retail etc if it interacted with the street, but that access to food/retail would be from both sides so folks on the street wouldn't have to go into the C.C. either.

I was thinking the Thunder shop is set up this way??? Can folks go in there without having to enter the Arena first (and be a ticket holder for an event). Or some of the hotels that have access to a restaurant for their guests from within the hotel, but folks on the street can get in too, without having to go into the hotel lobby???

Yes, there is a ThunderShop entrance on the west side of the building, but I don't think it is accessible from the outside on game days.

Blog Entries

Well, a food court would finalize the trinity of terribleness for this project: terrible location, terrible amenities, and terribly funded. A food court would waste some of the most valuable land in the state of Oklahoma by deterring, maybe even discouraging, any private development.
    Virtually every convention center I have ever been to has a food court or a variation of that. Attendees rarely take the time to have full sit down, served lunches, and don't stay over to go to dinner at the convention center. Then the cc would be in direct competition with all the restaurants in the area, also. The full service restaurants are usually at the convention center hotels or close by in the commercial areas. I may be wrong, but I don't know of a true "mixed use" convention center anywhere. Seems like maybe Calgary is the closest to that description as it is right downtown. Spartan, you spent time in Calgary....is the convention center mixed use or just located amidst mixed use properties downtown?

I'm pretty convinced that's actually the goal with this convention center.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Virtually every convention center I have ever been to has a food court or a variation of that. Attendees rarely take the time to have full sit down, served lunches, and don't stay over to go to dinner at the convention center. Then the cc would be in direct competition with all the restaurants in the area, also. The full service restaurants are usually at the convention center hotels or close by in the commercial areas. I may be wrong, but I don't know of a true "mixed use" convention center anywhere. Seems like maybe Calgary is the closest to that description as it is right downtown. Spartan, you spent time in Calgary....is the convention center mixed use or just located amidst mixed use properties downtown?
    The last convention center I was in is in Fort Lauderdale. It has a small "cyber cafe" and a couple of outlets for coffee and snacks but no food court.

9. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

This was 9 years ago, but when I was in Houston (back before AstroWorld died), I was here:

http://www.reliantpark.com/reliant-park-facilities

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post

I was thinking the Thunder shop is set up this way??? Can folks go in there without having to enter the Arena first (and be a ticket holder for an event). Or some of the hotels that have access to a restaurant for their guests from within the hotel, but folks on the street can get in too, without having to go into the hotel lobby???
    Yes, you can access the Thunder shop from the west side of the arena, and it is open daily M-F (and maybe Saturday) from about 10 to 5 p.m.

11. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Perhaps the CC and hotel will NOT be built at the boulevard?

If Hilton is involved and the bid brings up Skirvin, then perhaps that location is in play (which may explain the city's reluctance to implement the quiet zone)? Or, would there now be more serious incling of the city to use the original proposed location (side of the park)?

Personally, I like side of the park and Skirvin as #1 and #2 options; maybe the city is seeing the light given the boulevard and its impact/role.

All I know is 425 rooms is ridiculous, we need to shoot big here:600-1000 please. Also, Convention Center hotels aren't typically upscale are they? I have never heard of a 5-star Convention Center hotel or any luxury name tied to a convention hotel. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

12. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    All I know is 425 rooms is ridiculous, we need to shoot big here:600-1000 please. Also, Convention Center hotels aren't typically upscale are they? I have never heard of a 5-star Convention Center hotel or any luxury name tied to a convention hotel. ....
    Most convention center hotels are 4 star.

Some hotels attached to convention centers:
    -San Diego Marriott Marquis
    -Omni Dallas Hotel
    -Chicago Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
    -Omni Georgia World Congress Center
    -Hilton Americas Houston
    -The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh
    -The Westin Boston Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    Most convention center hotels are 4 star.

Some hotels attached to convention centers:
    -San Diego Marriott Marquis
    -Omni Dallas Hotel
    -Chicago Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
    -Omni Georgia World Congress Center
    -Hilton Americas Houston
    -The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh
    -The Westin Boston Convention Center
    That's exactly correct. A convention center hotel caters to the masses, not just high level executives who require luxury accommodations and facilities.

14. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

that was my point, thanks guys
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Perhaps the CC and hotel will NOT be built at the boulevard?

I agree the cc hotel ought not be a smallish offering. As to any notion the powers what be might change their mind about plopping the cc between MBG and the new park .... I'd put that in the snowball survives hell percentile range.

Would the Hilton want to open another hotel downtown which directly competed with their already existing Skirvin-Hilton? I'd really hate to see that as I'm afraid they'd make the Skirvin less of a priority.

ETA: should have looked at current page before replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Would the Hilton want to open another hotel downtown which directly competed with their already existing Skirvin-Hilton? I'd really hate to see that as I'm afraid they'd make the Skirvin less of a priority.

ETA: should have looked at current page before replying.
    hilton doesn't own the skirvin marcus hotels does

Right, it is just Hilton branded. Hilton brands include: Luxury (Waldorf-Astoria & Conrad); Full Service (Hilton, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites); Focused Service (Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton, Homewood Suites, Home2)
    http://hiltonworldwide.com/portfolio/

Not sure what Hilton's philosophy on it is but the Marriott brand has many many many branded hotels in the metro area

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Right, it is just Hilton branded. Hilton brands include: Luxury (Waldorf-Astoria & Conrad); Full Service (Hilton, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites); Focused Service (Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton, Homewood Suites, Home2)
    http://hiltonworldwide.com/portfolio/

Not sure what Hilton's philosophy on it is but the Marriott brand has many many many branded hotels in the metro area
    Hilton also has many many branded hotels in the metro area. (There are 18 Hilton branded hotels, including 2 downtown; 21 Marriott branded hotels, including 3 downtown.)

But that tells us nothing about whether either of them would be okay with having two of their flagship flag properties in downtown OKC. Perhaps just as important, it tells us nothing about the rights of the Skirvin. They may very well have an exclusive on the Hilton flag for downtown OKC.

At the end of the day, so long as the Skirvin is flagged as a Hilton Hotel, it is unlikely that the convention center hotel will be a Hilton Hotel. It could possibly be a Doubletree, but I don't think they are generally in the business of convention center hotels, per se.

I would like to see a new brand enter the OKC market via the CC Hotel. Like a Omni, W, Ritz-Carlton, or JW Marriot. But I think our best hope would be an Omni.

What if you had two brands (serving two different price-points) in the same facility? Kind of like the Bricktown hotel going up right now... except instead of joined next door, stack the lower-end hotel on top of the higher-end hotel. That way you can get a range of price-points and also get to the sheer volume of hotel rooms needed to book the CC solid with major conventions, and you also make a legitimate skyscraper economically feasible.

Like say, W for the first 20 floors, then Aloft or some other Starwood for another 15-20 floors..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What if you had two brands (serving two different price-points) in the same facility? Kind of like the Bricktown hotel going up right now... except instead of joined next door, stack the lower-end hotel on top of the higher-end hotel. That way you can get a range of price-points and also get to the sheer volume of hotel rooms needed to book the CC solid with major conventions, and you also make a legitimate skyscraper economically feasible.

Like say, W for the first 20 floors, then Aloft or some other Starwood for another 15-20 floors..
    Um W is way nicer and pricier than Aloft, why would you give Aloft the premium space? Neither are convention brands either, as much as I'd love a W here.

I think Omni would be a good fit if a "new" brand is going to be on the CC Hotel. I mention the Ft Worth Omni as a good example of a combination hotel and residential building. It is across the street from the FTWCC and is a very nice facility. Omni seems to be near or attached to a fairly high number of convention centers and is a high level of service.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I think Omni would be a good fit if a "new" brand is going to be on the CC Hotel. I mention the Ft Worth Omni as a good example of a combination hotel and residential building. It is across the street from the FTWCC and is a very nice facility. Omni seems to be near or attached to a fairly high number of convention centers and is a high level of service.
    I mentioned that earlier in this thread, so I'm right there with you ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I agree, I think Omni is the way to go, this sort of thing is their niche.

Thread Information