Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 217 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Isn't that total spread across two phases though, only one of which is funded by MAPS 3?
    When the original CC bid was posted on 05/14/09, it stated one million square feet, and that it was between $200-$300 million as cost, and it was in the early planning stages, with no hotel operator listed. Then, just recently it was updated on 06/13/12, but on the hotel page of Build Central, and state that Hilton Hotel, Inc would be the operator, and it would be upscale, but the square footage stayed the same.

I think the original bid posted was for the CC and CC hotel which resulted in the one million square feet, and now I think they found an operator which was just updated on the bid.

Can you see who is advertising the bid and who updated it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Guys, they're referring to the new convention center. Look at the category heading: Conventions/Arenas, Green Buildings, Hotels/Motels/Resorts
    i don't think so

Here's the info.

Most interesting is listing Marcus as the hotel developer:

Ok, I am like totally confused now...so is Otto and Weeman still going to build hotel, even through the CC is not going to be over there? Or is it that whoever is updating this bid page did not know what they are doing. Because you and I both know that the new CC hotel will not be next to the Skirvin...I think this was just the Skirvin Partners CC Hotel addition that never came to fruition, and someone just updated a new blurb...

I don't think this information is very good so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I looked at some other OKC area projects and it seems people are just posting updates they get from the newspapers. No real inside information.

425 rooms is too few for a convention hotel, tbh. The past president of the CVB once told me we need to be looking at least around 600-800 to be competitive within Tier 2 cities.

Looks like we might have an architect for the new CC very soon, I like tvsDesign, and even through Populous, Inc is the consultant, I hope they made a proposal to be the lead architect:

http://www.naisullivangroup.com/OKNe...terproject.pdf

I wonder if the City has analyzed adding a retail component to the new CC fronting Reno Ave. They should do a mixed-use CC, hotel, office, and retail....

10. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here's the info.

Most interesting is listing Marcus as the hotel developer:

Pete, that site is really carrying some bad info.... the information they have was from my reporting, and garbled up at that. The Skirvin folks publicly pitched their idea for a hotel, it got shot down, and that was that. At no time since the passage of MAPS 3 has the city ever indicated they won't be building a convention center. Ugh....

That proposal was for the Skirvin addition.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I wonder if the City has analyzed adding a retail component to the new CC fronting Reno Ave. They should do a mixed-use CC, hotel, office, and retail....
    This.

I recall reading somewhere early on that the C.C was gong to be mixed use with Food Court, Retail etc. Now if it was all internal or interacting with the street...

More then likely, the CC Hotel will be connected to the CC, which will provide some mixed use amenities, bar, restaurants, etc...But I was wondering if retail, and office have been discussed. It would be cool to have a CC with offices on top, and retail/restaurants interacting with the street, that is open to the public.

Nm - wrong thread.

Did you guys forget they only have $250 million and a large chunk of that is land cost?
    That's why you make deals with private developers to develop with the CC. Like how the new $20M parking garage owned by the City will possibly secure a private developer to build residences on top.

I guess I didnt delete fast enough. This whole thing is going to hit a brick wall anyhow. MAPS 3 is only funding phase 1 of a 3 phase convention center complex. No word yet on where the funding for the other two phases will come from.

Sorry, but I can't fine the CC thread?

The City's share of a convention hotel is estimated at $50 million. Since construction will need to start in the next 2 or 3 years where is this money coming from? The P180 tif, maps 3 funds, downtown business fund, magical land?

MAPS3 Contingency Funds, and in the 2007 Oklahoma City Bond Issue, under Proposition 11 states funds can be used for Economic Development Incentive Program. So don't be surprised if they pull funds from both of these programs for the $50 million needed for the CC hotel...

The City's share of a convention hotel is estimated at $50 million. Since construction will need to start in the next 2 or 3 years where is this money coming from? The P180 tif, maps 3 funds, downtown business fund, magical land?
    Maybe someone will create a new CC-HOTEL-TIF, loan the city the money, and let the city pay it back with interest? Nah.

general funds ... to be paid back .. by hotel revenue

Before I say anything else negative about the convention center project, it is worth noting (as a basis in fact) that most all cities get paid back over time the incentives they give to a CC hotel, so it's only a slightly bad deal. Worth it to get the thing built, I'd say.

That said, I will go berserk if I see a "food court" in this convention center. Grrrr...see how many more suburban-styled amenities we can roll into this self-contained convention palace built by taxpayers.

I agree, Spartan. A catering kitchen, yes, but a food court, no. We should be encouraging the convention visitors to sample other local places for meals. They won't have to go that far.

We're locating this thing at Bricktown's beck and call.

Thread Information