Widgets Magazine
Page 60 of 217 FirstFirst ... 105556575859606162636465110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Reading the Ben Felder article earlier in the thread, I was about to quote and comment that the Gazette basically gave Shadid even more ink to rant and rave without even mentioning the glaring absence of any real information regarding Shadid's petition.

What a waste of everyone's time. This man has ZERO credibility. Pretty thrilled that the petition threat was simply a gaseous farce just like everything else Shadid has campaigned against in this city.

Does anyone actually dred this outcome? If I were a true believer and a ward 2 voter, I probably would be steamed right now, and wondering who my next leader will be. But for the rest of OKC and the surrounding metro .. this too shall pass and soon be forgotten.

The question remains: How much is the convention center and adjacent hotel going to cost taxpayers? Will it help or hurt other downtown hoteliers?

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    The question remains: How much is the convention center and adjacent hotel going to cost taxpayers? Will it help or hurt other downtown hoteliers?
    Nobody knows any figures at this point, no matter what Dred has said. Now the Skirvin could be used as an example, maybe. I know the Skirvin has made several loan 'repayments' back to the city.

The question remains: How much is the convention center and adjacent hotel going to cost taxpayers?
    The initial phase, as promised, will cost 250 million. When it is all said and done, all phases complete, I wouldn't doubt seeing it go past 600 million nor would I care. I completely understood it would be built in phases and a new hotel would likely be necessary and I wasn't even able to vote at that time.

Will it help or hurt other downtown hoteliers?
    The convention center will obviously help other hotels as well as spurring new development. It also neccassary as with every other convention center in other cities,

krisb,

the cost of phase one of the cc is known, as it was included in M3. While there may yet be an issue of staying in budget, that is speculative at present.

the cost of phase two, if it is handled as phase one was handled, will be presented to voters to decide at some date in the future.

the cost of a hotel subsidy, or even if there will in fact be a subsidy, is a presently unknown question. The only hard answer available is 0.00 for now, as no one has even approved a subsidy in principle, let alone for a specific amount.

I saw a story about the controversy of this project on News9 this morning and with it they included a conceptual rendering for the hotel that I've never seen anywhere. Did anyone else see the story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I saw a story about the controversy of this project on News9 this morning and with it they included a conceptual rendering for the hotel that I've never seen anywhere. Did anyone else see the story?

.. was this an older story or today?

Default Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    .. was this an older story or today?
    The story was on TV this morning from 6-7am.

They're doing a special on it this week so they will be showing a picture of it again at 10 o'clock.

Maybe it was a preview. Story coming on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    "Could bring business" in the headline. Wow, amateurs.

lol

News 9 is so far behind -- they probably think the convention center was just announced today.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    News 9 is so far behind -- they probably think the convention center was just announced today.
    Probably just a slow day at the office, very few shootings yesterday.

The news story had video renderings of plans I had never seen, so maybe they were really really old. Some dude did say enough planners have skipped OKC that had they been here the city could have earned over a billion dollars in sales tax revenues.

For the love of Pete.

Could have earned....
    Could bring business...

That also means:
    Could not have earned....
    Could not bring business...

Also, excuse me while I LMAO at the billion dollars in sales tax comment. At 4 cents of each dollar going to the city in sales tax that would take spending (from non-city residents mind you) of $2,500,000,000,000. In case you have trouble with the '0's - that is $2.5 trillion dollars. If a convention center could generate that kind of spending the local private business community would have built 10 of them a long time ago - but there is a reason why private convention centers are only located at Disney World and Las Vegas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    For the love of Pete.

Could have earned....
    Could bring business...

That also means:
    Could not have earned....
    Could not bring business...

Also, excuse me while I LMAO at the billion dollars in sales tax comment. At 4 cents of each dollar going to the city in sales tax that would take spending (from non-city residents mind you) of $2,500,000,000,000. In case you have trouble with the '0's - that is $2.5 trillion dollars. If a convention center could generate that kind of spending the local private business community would have built 10 of them a long time ago - but there is a reason why private convention centers are only located at Disney World and Las Vegas.
    Before you go off on the normal "I hate business rant", the article didn't say we lost a billion tax dollars. We know you hate conventions and the idea of the city aiding and abetting business. What the article actually said was that we missed out on the opportunity for a billion dollars worth of economic impact since 2007. But, I'm sure you'll tee off on that and how that is a lie and this is just a big business conspiracy to dupe the citizens of OKC. LOL

Thanks for telling me what I think Rover as I am incapable of articulating my own thoughts and expressing them to others.

I actually got the billion in sale tax revenue from post #1517 and not from the article - which as it turns out was probably a misinterpretation from the article itself. However, if $1 billion in spending was missed out on why don't the businesses who would have benefited from this revenue get together and build their own convention center? Why are they waiting around for the public to do it, because by doing so they are missing out on a lot of money.

Just so everyone is clear (I'm looking right at you Rover) - I am not opposed to the convention center. I think we need a new one, but not because of some made up pie in the sky dollar amounts, that frankly, are insulting. We need a new one because public buildings should inspire and make the local citizens proud of their city. The Cox Center does neither of those.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by just the facts View Post
    Made up pie in the sky dollar amounts, that frankly, are insulting.
    boom

To deny that the city has lost competitive position to host events which they would otherwise be in the running for is ludicrous. Over a 6 or 7 year time frame the convention bureau apparently logged lots of event requests for which they were not able to compete because of lack of facilities, among other things. I can't personally attest to the economic impact being one billion, two billion, or two million. But, it is believable that it is a quite large size of economic impact. The value of the convention center goes beyond it being a pleasing and pride inducing building. Build a monument if you want a public edifice. Build a serviceable and sizable appropriate convention center that enables the city to compete for events which would be appropriate for us to host. I believe that is quite a bit more than what we now do.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City lost its competitiveness to attract convention dollars because we took a decade and a half to get the Myriad Convention Center built. Meanwhile, cities like Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Kansas City, Tulsa, Memphis and Wichita were miles ahead of our city.

The 6,500-seat Municipal Auditorium lost its appeal and was later downsized and renovated into a 3,200-seat Civic Center Music Hall.

We have to have 'skin' in the game to get back in the game.

The Myriad (Cox Convention Center) is now fifty years old. We allowed fifty years to go by without aggressively upgrading to stay competitive. The Myriad was a nice facility when it was finally completed; our convention industry died on life support because we didn't have the hotels to support the convention facility we had just built.

The few hotels we did have (Sheraton, Skirvin, Skirvin Twin, Tivoli Inn, Downtown Holliday Inn, Hotel Black) succumbed to obsolescence.

We had one functioning hotel downtown (Sheraton Century Center). You can't expand your convention industry as a one hotel town.

2014-2020:

We have a catalyst of new hotels downtown to springboard us once the new convention center gets built. This is why an anchor mega hotel adjacent to the new convention center is going to be needed to get us back in the game. We will be in a much better position to support conventions if we have the capacity to accommodate the conventioneers.

Let's get it done...

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Oklahoma City lost its competitiveness to attract convention dollars because we took a decade and a half to get the Myriad Convention Center built. Meanwhile, cities like Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Kansas City, Tulsa, Memphis and Wichita were miles ahead of our city.

The 6,500-seat Municipal Auditorium lost its appeal and was later downsized and renovated into a 3,200-seat Civic Center Music Hall.

We have to have 'skin' in the game to get back in the game.

The Myriad (Cox Convention Center) is now fifty years old. We allowed fifty years to go by without aggressively upgrading to stay competitive. The Myriad was a nice facility when it was finally completed; our convention industry died on life support because we didn't have the hotels to support the convention facility we had just built.

The few hotels we did have (Sheraton, Skirvin, Skirvin Twin, Tivoli Inn, Downtown Holliday Inn, Hotel Black) succumbed to obsolescence.

We had one functioning hotel downtown (Sheraton Century Center). You can't expand your convention industry as a one hotel town.

2014-2020:

We have a catalyst of new hotels downtown to springboard us once the new convention center gets built. This is why an anchor mega hotel adjacent to the new convention center is going to be needed to get us back in the game. We will be in a much better position to support conventions if we have the capacity to accommodate the conventioneers.

Let's get it done...

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.
    Agreed. Lets get it done and do it to be competitive not just to cities like Wichita, but lets be a real competitor to DFW.

Thread Information