Widgets Magazine
Page 195 of 217 FirstFirst ... 95145190191192193194195196197198199200 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

the long long held rumor is that contintenial will buit a new HQ on part of the COX center

2. Default Re: Convention Center

Well that certainly won't happen while oil continues to suffer.

Seems like Bancfirst was close to building a new tower, but decided to renovate and upgrade the current tower, which I think will do wonders for the skyline. But the Ford site is ripe for development, and I wouldn't mind a 10-15 story mixed used development that had a hotel component to help with hotel booking overflow. You have to remember also remember that the CC hotel will get a lot of business, from the Thunder during playoff time.

I don't think BancFirst was close to building new.

The building they bought was in bankruptcy and they saw an opportunity to get a good deal; even with extensive renovations, it's a fraction of the cost of new construction. And of course, they only need about 1/3 of the space (or less) for their own use.

I can't imagine what would be developed on the Cox site for some time to come. Office and hotel are way overbuilt and the city wants to reserve that property for the long-term expansion of the CBD.

My guess is that the Cox Center will stay in operation for the foreseeable future and the Ford site will eventually be developed into a mixed-use project with a hotel or two and maybe some office space. But I don't think they will be in any rush for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think BancFirst was close to building new.

The building they bought was in bankruptcy and they saw an opportunity to get a good deal; even with extensive renovations, it's a fraction of the cost of new construction. And of course, they only need about 1/3 of the space (or less) for their own use.

I can't imagine what would be developed on the Cox site for some time to come. Office and hotel are way overbuilt and the city wants to reserve that property for the long-term expansion of the CBD.

My guess is that the Cox Center will stay in operation for the foreseeable future and the Ford site will eventually be developed into a mixed-use project with a hotel or two and maybe some office space. But I don't think they will be in any rush for a while.
    contential has lots of cash and really has a solo decision maker

they could very well decide to build a new HQ building on the cox site

Blog Entries

You would think that OG&E could partner with Continental; together they have the resources to construct a 40 story tower on the old Stage Center site.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    contential has lots of cash and really has a solo decision maker

they could very well decide to build a new HQ building on the cox site
    If they needed more space, they could have bought the former Cotter Tower themselves or at least rent space there. They bought half of the Santa Fe garage, after all.

Harold Hamm bought the present HQ at a highly discounted rate from Devon and he is notoriously frugal. I seriously doubt he would build new construction, especially with so much surplus space downtown. What would they do with their existing building?

A much more logical move and a way better investment would be to buy SandRidge Tower which is virtually empty. Or even BOK Park Plaza.

Let's not forget that Continental is a part owner in the Santa Fe parking garage across the street from their current offices. I think they will stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazio85 View Post
    Let's not forget that Continental is a part owner in the Santa Fe parking garage across the street from their current offices. I think they will stay put.
    They just made this purchase last year and have also obligated the city to build a huge new parking structure on the land just east of the tracks on Main owned by Don Karchmer, complete with a tunnel or skybridge connection.

If they needed more space, they could have bought the former Cotter Tower themselves or at least rent space there. They bought half of the Santa Fe garage, after all.

Harold Hamm bought the present HQ at a highly discounted rate from Devon and he is notoriously frugal. I seriously doubt he would build new construction, especially with so much surplus space downtown. What would they do with their existing building?

A much more logical move and a way better investment would be to buy SandRidge Tower which is virtually empty. Or even BOK Park Plaza.
    i don't disagree with you at all

just saying all it would take is Harold to change his mind and the rumor that they have been interested in the northwest section of the Cox has been out there a long long time

I'd say it's an uneducated rumor because it doesn't make much sense.

I'd say it's an uneducated rumor because it doesn't make much sense.
    There's no way they're building a new HQ. They'll wait for the inevitable SD merger, bankruptcy, etc. And move into that building. Good chance SD merges with CHAP or sells to, and its a big LOL, BCE-Mach 1.

OKC can definitely make use of the current convention center for time to come.

What the city really needs to do is wait out until the RTA is in good shape. Then, they need to use the Cox Site, with front door access to the intermodal hub with access to Edmond and Norman, to lure one or two significant corporate relocations by agreeing to RFP the site for a developer capable of building a HQ tower (or 2) along with several major amenities (see the Cox thread for the Berlin SONY center concept I've long advocated we need to borrow from on this site).

What they need to focus on now is targeting 10 companies they think they could recruit to relocate in the next 15 years, and get them to open up a smaller office in OKC over the next 2-4 years and then in 6-12 years see who we have developed a great relationship with and get the negotiations started.

Hopefully this has actually been going on in the background for the last 5 years, but if not, now is as good a time as any.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    OKC can definitely make use of the current convention center for time to come.

What the city really needs to do is wait out until the RTA is in good shape. Then, they need to use the Cox Site, with front door access to the intermodal hub with access to Edmond and Norman, to lure one or two significant corporate relocations by agreeing to RFP the site for a developer capable of building a HQ tower (or 2) along with several major amenities (see the Cox thread for the Berlin SONY center concept I've long advocated we need to borrow from on this site).

What they need to focus on now is targeting 10 companies they think they could recruit to relocate in the next 15 years, and get them to open up a smaller office in OKC over the next 2-4 years and then in 6-12 years see who we have developed a great relationship with and get the negotiations started.

Hopefully this has actually been going on in the background for the last 5 years, but if not, now is as good a time as any.
    The city also needs to coordinate with the state government. At some point, the state office buildings next to the capitol are going to need to be replaced. If the redevelopment of the Cox Center site happens to coincide with a time in which the state is flush with cash (maybe, maybe not), they might be talked into moving some of those agencies downtown into a shiny new office tower.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    The city also needs to coordinate with the state government. At some point, the state office buildings next to the capitol are going to need to be replaced. If the redevelopment of the Cox Center site happens to coincide with a time in which the state is flush with cash (maybe, maybe not), they might be talked into moving some of those agencies downtown into a shiny new office tower.
    I usually don't do definitives, but there's no way this would ever happen, the many government offices located right next to the Capitol are there for a reason, and they're not going to move folks miles away to downtown, especially into a shiny new office tower with most likely shiny new high lease costs.

We just need to convince Cox Cable to relocate HQs from Atlanta to the Cox Convention site and give them incentives. No name change required.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I usually don't do definitives, but there's no way this would ever happen, the many government offices located right next to the Capitol are there for a reason, and they're not going to move folks miles away to downtown, especially into a shiny new office tower with most likely shiny new high lease costs.
    I know it's very unlikely, but they're gonna have to replace those buildings at some point. As I understand it, those things were having huge maintenance issues even 20 years ago.

The Cox Center redevelopment would take a massive coordinated effort between lots of different parties. We don't know what the political climate is going to be 10-15 years from now, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the city might be able to make the numbers work, particularly if the city owns the parking garage and cuts the state a good deal.

We need to convince TFCU to move to any unoccupied 14 story building in CBD.

There are over 3,500 credit unions. Vystar based in Jax has assets of $8b and recently took over a 28 story building in downtown Jax as HQ. They rank 17th of all CU’s.

TFCU ranks 51st with over $4b. At some point maybe they take a decent sized building.

NFCU is #1 with over $100b. I am a member of all 3.

HangryHippo Guest

A TFCU HQ downtown would be awesome. Of course, I thought the same about MidFirst and we see how that turned out, lol.

I love hoya's idea of moving the state agencies into a new building. I know, it's government and all, but those agencies desperately need new spaces. Austin is looking at doing just this and there was an article about it in the Statesman awhile back.

OKC building the capitol in a pasture out in the middle of nowhere instead of downtown is probably the single biggest blunder in the history of the city. Such a great asset absolutely wasted (along with all of the auxiliary state agency buildings and employees that go with it)

Blog Entries

Also love hoya's idea.

State Capitol restorations are going on; Oklahoma has a number of buildings on capital grounds that will need to be renovated or replaced.

The Will Rogers & Sequoyah; then the Hodge & Connors are building built as early as the 60s with the latter two added. Not sure if any major renovations have been done on any of these structures--four with 6-7 levels each, approaching 55+ years.

You could replace those building with one 30 story tower or two 15 story towers. Whether you build them on current capital ground or downtown would need to be determined.

Forgive us for drifting off target.

Funding: Bonds or could any of the $600 million in the state's rainy day fund be used to fund any state capital building new construction or renovations...

I likewise don't think the moving of government buildings to the Cox site would ever happen. But if it were to happen, it would just be trading one problem for another, as you would then have empty vacant land all around the capital, which also isn't a good look and would not help that part of town at all.

^ Agree 100%. The state could not even properly maintain the Capital building or Governors mansion. To think you would get approval for this kind of expenditure is folly.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I likewise don't think the moving of government buildings to the Cox site would ever happen. But if it were to happen, it would just be trading one problem for another, as you would then have empty vacant land all around the capital, which also isn't a good look and would not help that part of town at all.
    You make a very great point. Plus the city would never maintain the building with same standards as rest of core. Heck, just to decide what color lights to use on outside would take years.

But I gotta admit, the current capitol building would make for one hella brewery! And ample parking too lol.

Thread Information