Widgets Magazine
Page 193 of 217 FirstFirst ... 93143188189190191192193194195196197198 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Are they starting on the apartments and parking garage then?

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Are they starting on the apartments and parking garage then?
    The construction trailer is for the parking garage which is just starting up.

Will be a while before they start on the mixed-use project.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Convention Center

We were a competitive city, back in the 50s & 60s with the 6,000 seat Municipal Auditorium (City's convention venue) that attracted events, we had the hotel support like the 600 room Biltmore, Skirvin, Skirvin Twin, Black, Colcord, Tivoli & the Holiday Inns to bid for conventions. OKC had 'game' back then. We went stagnant from the 70s with the Myriad opening bc of the lack of hotel support with a DT in intensive care.

Large gatherings are a totally different scenario in today's cyber & high tech world; however we do have some alternative hotels to support our 605 room Omni, again like Hot Rod, I wish it were in the 700-1,000 room range. Don't want to bring up the 1,001 room Dallas Omni, because the Big D is in another tier than OKC. Dallas continued to grow into a dynamic city.

The Bennett Event Center at SFP serves much like a trade shows & gathering center with respect to the Meridian Hotel corridor for guest support.

It's difficult to make a read on lost opportunities; there's a lot of information we (posters) don't have on large gatherings. A quality venue combination (CC & hotel) will be needed if you are to bid on conventions, events & trade shows that will attract thousands.

OKC will have 'walking distance' from the hotel to the cc as a good selling point, along with parking (if needed), restaurants & entertainment in nearby Bricktown. Topped off with a sleek streetcar system in the core.

Blog Entries

Looks dark and depressing from one side. I hope the LEDs don’t disappoint. If the height already doesn’t help this building stand out then the lighting needs to

7. Default Re: Convention Center

it is interesting tat the hotel is not that much taller than the CC. I must say the cc is very impressive.

I just wish they made better use of that awful roof. Imagine if they had rooms up there and/or a solar farm. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

8. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    What I hear you saying is pass a permanent 1 cent dedicated capital improvement tax where there is continuous collections and the public vote on the projects.

Great idea on the permanent 1 cent sales tax dedicated for capital improvements; similar to the Zoo's 1/8 cent; also what about safety (police, fire); they will want their own dedicated source of funds that is included IIFC in the budget...

How would you decide projects to be listed on the ballot: How many, who makes the cut?

Also: 1) Piecemeal: Individual stand alone or 2) Bundled: As one Capital Improvement funded item.

Hot Rod, we need a separate thread for this discussion, there are too many variables involved with this on the Convention Center thread.
    yep, that's my thought Larry.

Be my guest to start a new thread on MAPS evolution. MAPS EVO lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    yep, that's my thought Larry.

Be my guest to start a new thread on MAPS evolution. MAPS EVO lol.
    You're so creative, my friend. Reminds me of the days of the old Downtown Library, we were ready to take on the world.

Remember that creative slogan, GO-CART long before OKC adopted EMBARK. Greater Oklahoma City Area Rapid Transit.

10. Default Re: Convention Center

yes, those were the days. It was only a handfull of us OKC internet posters then and now look!! Very much thanks goes to Pete, other expats, and the vast network of subscribers for enabling OKCTalk!

wow, I'm so enamored even with how people now defend and take pride in OKC; it used to just be the 5 or so of us. lol.

As we used to say, Continue the Renaissance!

That Co-OP site just begging for a big time downtown stadium. Not talking about a minor league stadium but major league. Too bad OKC doesn't have a major league team. That would be a great site for an NFL type stadium with some work.

Press release:

MAPS 3 Oklahoma City Convention Center brand unveiled
    10/07/2019

Officials unveiled the MAPS 3 Oklahoma City Convention Center’s new brand on Monday, revealing colorful and energetic logo for a new community landmark.

“Everyone has seen the rise of the MAPS 3 Oklahoma City Convention Center on the east side of Scissortail Park, and its completion will be another MAPS game-changer for our City,” said Mayor David Holt. “Today’s logo unveiling is another milestone on that path.”

The logo uses shades of red, orange, blue, green and yellow in a design that evokes the building’s sleek architecture.

“I love watching this city evolve and grow, and I’m beyond honored that my team had the opportunity to be a part of this,” said Sonni Adams, Creative Director for Freestyle Creative, which designed the brand.

More about the convention center

The MAPS 3 Oklahoma City Convention Center’s total project budget is $288 million, including land acquisition and other related expenses. The construction contract is $168.2 million, $20 million under budget.

The state-of-the art building is east of Scissortail Park along Robinson Boulevard. It’s served by MAPS 3’s OKC Streetcar.

The convention center’s modern design features sweeping downtown views, and materials designed for energy efficiency and resiliency against the weather.

The convention center will be 500,000 square feet. A 200,000-square-foot exhibit hall will dominate the ground floor, featuring three operable walls to divide it in up to four flexible spaces. About 45,000 square feet of meeting spaces are on all levels of the building, and many also have operable walls to make the spaces flexible. The rooms can be configured to provide up to 27 individual meeting spaces.

A 30,000-square-foot ballroom is the main space on the fourth level, complemented by 10,000 square feet of pre-function space and a 4,000-square-foot balcony.

Informal meeting spaces, a kitchen, a potential café space, an expansive loading dock and administrative offices are also planned for the convention center.

The gleaming, angular façade has towering glass walls to make maximum use of natural light and takes its design cues from Oklahoma City’s sky, landscape and architectural character.

Landscaping outside the convention center will use native plants and trees well-suited to the local climate, with a focus on sustainability, comfort and beauty. A central plaza and other inviting spaces will help the convention center’s exterior come alive with activity.

Wayfinding stations inside and outside the convention center will be interactive.

The convention center will have multiple public art pieces, including “Virtual Sky” in the glass atriums facing Scissortail Park.

The City is also building a new parking garage to support the convention center and Omni Oklahoma City Hotel next door. Both are also under construction and scheduled to open in late 2020 or early 2021.

The City has a marketing contract with Visit OKC for securing events to be booked at the convention center, and a contract with ASM Global (formerly SMG) for facility management.

Visit OKC and ASM Global fulfill similar roles now for the Cox Convention Center, which will no longer be marketed and operated at the City’s main convention center when the MAPS 3 facility opens.

Pretty cool logo

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Pretty cool logo
    Agreed.

Knocked it out of the park with the logo

This may have been covered but if not we need an area staffed during conventions. This could be volunteer folks and all costs paid for local businesses. A tourism and local area help desk/counter.

I imagine a lot of conventioners would love to find brochures and local info while attending. Maps, times, events, travel methods and many other items. Some may only be here for convention but this booth/counter would be a way to get info into hands of folks who might just consider coming back some day. And handing out info would be a way to help plus a volunteer to answer questions. For interested folks could also take their email info to send event updates. If even 5% show interest or come back thats a huge amount of people. I would imagine there will be a kiosk with brochures but a live person always helps. I would bet could find plenty of volunteers to man booth. 30 people doing 1 day a month or 15 doing 2. Local business could sponsor and pay for costs. Could provide vouchers to pay for volunteers travel to/from and lunch. Just a thought but during breaks a lot will stay in building and mill around so thats the target. Catch em prior to start, breaks, lunch and afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Knocked it out of the park with the logo
    +1

That's a pretty great logo. I like how it matches up so well with the general theme of the Park's logo design.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That's a pretty great logo. I like how it matches up so well with the general theme of the Park's logo design.

+1

Not to mention sky dance bridge. Cc logo has sharp crisp lines and angles just like the bridge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    This may have been covered but if not we need an area staffed during conventions. This could be volunteer folks and all costs paid for local businesses. A tourism and local area help desk/counter.

I imagine a lot of conventioners would love to find brochures and local info while attending. Maps, times, events, travel methods and many other items. Some may only be here for convention but this booth/counter would be a way to get info into hands of folks who might just consider coming back some day. And handing out info would be a way to help plus a volunteer to answer questions. For interested folks could also take their email info to send event updates. If even 5% show interest or come back thats a huge amount of people. I would imagine there will be a kiosk with brochures but a live person always helps. I would bet could find plenty of volunteers to man booth. 30 people doing 1 day a month or 15 doing 2. Local business could sponsor and pay for costs. Could provide vouchers to pay for volunteers travel to/from and lunch. Just a thought but during breaks a lot will stay in building and mill around so thats the target. Catch em prior to start, breaks, lunch and afterwards.
    Just FYI there's a staffed CVB booth in the Cox CC, so I'd imagine this will continue in the new one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Logo inspiration:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paperfingergame.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	15650

(I like the logo, this was just the first thing I thought of when I saw it)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Just FYI there's a staffed CVB booth in the Cox CC, so I'd imagine this will continue in the new one.
    Great to hear

Thread Information