Widgets Magazine
Page 187 of 217 FirstFirst ... 87137182183184185186187188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,675 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

Blog Entries

Default Re: Convention Center

Just want to remind onlookers in the area to be careful, there are many active construction vehicles, closed streets & barriers in the area, stay safe.

Blog Entries

I was at vast last night and looking at both Cox and the new convention center side by side, Cox is surprisingly more massive in terms of total land area occupied (presently). I know this is a bit of a viewing perspective issue, but I don't think entirely. I also get that it's the arena that adds that girth to the Cox. Pun intended.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gSppdxcyqpaEwAXj8

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I was at vast last night and looking at both Cox and the new convention center side by side, Cox is surprisingly more massive in terms of total land area occupied (presently). I know this is a bit of a viewing perspective issue, but I don't think entirely. I also get that it's the arena that adds that girth to the Cox. Pun intended.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gSppdxcyqpaEwAXj8
    Probably because of the arena in Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Probably because of the arena in Cox.
    That, and also there is a little bit more steel work to be done to the east. Plus, the picture was taken closer to the Cox Convention Center so its going to look a lot more bigger than it is.

This is going to be great for OKC. I have no data but it seems very few cities built convention centers the past 10-15 years. If true we will have one of the most modern conventions for some time. Not saying the best but modern. I expect this to resonate in the industry and with park next door plus SC as well, combined with new OMNI - we should get rave reviews is my guess. Also don’t discount all the NBA teams and entourages traveling here for games. This one square block will be one of the great investment from MAPS 3.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    This is going to be great for OKC. I have no data but it seems very few cities built convention centers the past 10-15 years. If true we will have one of the most modern conventions for some time. Not saying the best but modern. I expect this to resonate in the industry and with park next door plus SC as well, combined with new OMNI - we should get rave reviews is my guess. Also don’t discount all the NBA teams and entourages traveling here for games. This one square block will be one of the great investment from MAPS 3.
    Just have to hope that somehow it spurs big-time private investment beside the park. OKC has very few wealthy investors and developers, and those who are always seek massive public funding. But yes, this has the potential to be a game-changer for OKC. Especially if OKC and Omni could work out a future expansion of their hotel (since I feel there will be more demand than anticipated).

This is going to be great for OKC. I have no data but it seems very few cities built convention centers the past 10-15 years. If true we will have one of the most modern conventions for some time.
    There are a lot of new openings and renovations in the pipeline across the US.

Convention Centers Across Major U.S. Cities Expand and Renovate

The sense that convention business is booming has opened the spigot for the flow of investment into these public-works projects. The 10 largest opening from 2018 to 2023 will cost more than $7 billion in total, not including all the ancillary development such as new hotels.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Convention Center

Thanks for the link BDP.

Glad OKC decided to construct a new convention center instead of a redo of the Cox. The Memphis convention center looks nice with its renovation.

We'll have a competitive convention center complex: with the Omni & garage, area hotels will provide conventioneers with options; the streetcar & Scissortail Park will be equally impressive to guests. Hope the fruits of MAPS 3 will make a favorable impression.

ENR Texas & Louisiana--Investing to Create A Destination City: https://www.enr.com/articles/46672-i...stination-city

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    There are a lot of new openings and renovations in the pipeline across the US.

Convention Centers Across Major U.S. Cities Expand and Renovate
    Thanks for link. Most of those are renovations. I also think we are in a prime spot. We won’t compete with coastal cities but offer a new convention in a basically new downtown. We are located perfectly to draw national conventions where travel is coming from all over US. And within a mile of convention offer all amenities. Conventions can be cheaper here than other cities and I think will resonate with attendees.

Even costs to travel from airport to convention will be cheaper. I think its going to do fine and will draw a lot of midwest companies as well.

Thanks for link. Most of those are renovations. I also think we are in a prime spot. We won’t compete with coastal cities but offer a new convention in a basically new downtown. We are located perfectly to draw national conventions where travel is coming from all over US. And within a mile of convention offer all amenities. Conventions can be cheaper here than other cities and I think will resonate with attendees.

Even costs to travel from airport to convention will be cheaper. I think its going to do fine and will draw a lot of midwest companies as well.
    Would be nice to have a rail link from airport to downtown. That would be a biggie IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Would be nice to have a rail link from airport to downtown. That would be a biggie IMO.
    Woulda been cool to have built Street Car going thru building at basement level with glass type see thru so visitors can see it. But not in a way that noise distracts convention meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post

Its hard to compete with shuttle vans for the cost.

13. Default Re: Convention Center

bragging a bit

https://www.pcma.org/how-one-city-is...ention-center/

When Oklahoma City opens the doors to a new convention center in 2020, the city’s tourism officials will be free from a typical worry: debt.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

While that article appears to be over 2 years old the information is still appropriate. I just looked back at the first page of this thread and it was from 2011!! Amazing to me that it will take about 17% of my lifetime to do everything it takes to open a new convention center.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    While that article appears to be over 2 years old the information is still appropriate. I just looked back at the first page of this thread and it was from 2011!! Amazing to me that it will take about 17% of my lifetime to do everything it takes to open a new convention center.
    The plan for a convention center goes back even further than that. When Core to Shore was first envisioned in 2007 it called for a convention center on the east side of the park. OU Architecture students did the initial conceptual renderings for a convention center and hotel on this exact site in 2007-08.

Wink Re: Convention Center

Isn't that something. I suspected that was the case but could not confirm it. We literally figured out how to send a man to the moon in less time.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Convention Center

This pic on the previous page shows how massive this structure truly will be upon completion; simply awesome.

The convention center wouldn't have passed on its own merits; once it's in operation, the value of this venue to the city and state will be magnified.

OKC's will have game, and some chips to put down on 9.

Blog Entries

Great cc exterior design in the various sections appear to form its own character; instead of the typical square building format. Should make a lasting impression on guests.

19. Default Re: Convention Center

but isn't myriad still bigger? Amazing since it takes 4 square blocks (vs this with just 2).

Nonetheless, it is a big facility that will only have 600 rooms to work with. Were they thinking people would double occupancy?? lol.

I hope they fast track to build the add'l 100K sq ft and more full-service highrise hotels step up once they see the success of this and potential of OKC if said rooms existed.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

This pic on the previous page shows how massive this structure truly will be upon completion; simply awesome.

The convention center wouldn't have passed on its own merits; once it's in operation, the value of this venue to the city and state will be magnified.

OKC's will have game, and some chips to put down on 9.
    I got a glimpse of the scale of the convention center after getting to OKC this evening. Totally agree with this sentiment. The Omni on the other hand seems small to me at this point.

The hotel will actually be bigger. Omni = 570,562 sf. OKCCC = 503,453 sf.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I got a glimpse of the scale of the convention center after getting to OKC this evening. Totally agree with this sentiment. The Omni on the other hand seems small to me at this point.
    Glad you're here. Hope you are enjoying your stay. I don't know how long it has been since your return.

Please give us your candid take on OKC, please feel free to not hold back or mince words.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Glad you're here. Hope you are enjoying your stay. I don't know how long it has been since your return.

Please give us your candid take on OKC, please feel free to not hold back or mince words.
    Will do. Taking a break at the hotel after tooling around all morning. will spend the rest of the afternoon/evening looking around, before heading th Lawton tonight or tomorrow morning. Will submit my observations probably tomorrow.

OKC observations

0. Positive changes are evident throughout the city. Highway construction lane widening has improved travel (HWY 74, I 235, Kilpatrick, Dallas junction)
    0. Entire Convention Center block will be a game changer in terms of perception and business development.
    0. Observed streetcar movement, new system appears to have helped times. Ridership appears to be sparse (maybe on weekdays)
    0. Scissor tail park another game changer.
    0. Big improvement in dining options city wide.
    0. New restaurant/bar space across from Scissor tail will also be a great for that area
    0. Street/Hwy lighting outages is unacceptable for a major City.
    0. Why are kids allowed to ride those scooters throughout DT impeding traffic.
    0. DT is improving by leaps and bounds however IMO the new dining options along with brick town might be unsustainable without more rooftops and workers. Still way to many buildings with low occupancy

And don’t forget: the streetcar, which you completely despise, will be a major selling point for conventions and will distribute visitors to all of our downtown districts, helping local businesses and adding convenient local transportation for convention goers.

Thread Information