Widgets Magazine
Page 151 of 217 FirstFirst ... 51101146147148149150151152153154155156201 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Yah more parking!

Keeping in mind that we are going to lose a ton of parking when the COX CC down, it's not the end of the world. There also needs to be parking to serve a few up and coming areas. We just need to not go overboard, and we need to not overserve specific areas (for instance, west downtown doesn't need 1000 spaces)

Blog Entries

He added that more detailed design drawings are expected in the fall.

Architects pointed to other major conventions centers around the country and world as a guide to what will ultimately be on Robinson Avenue between SW 4 and SW 7.

Architects say so far, the $287 million project is under budget.
    OKC City Council Passes Convention Center Conceptual Design: http://www.news9.com/story/31882375/...ceptual-design

4. Default Re: Convention Center

one of those images that the CC is benchmarking is the magnificent Vancouver Convention Centre.

I know OKC can't build theirs jutting into the Pacific Ocean like Vancouver has, but I cincerely hope that OKC strongly considers building a green roof and the use of large glass floor to ceiling windows as takeaways to adopt from Vancouver. Both would be firsts in OKC and would likely make the cc a candidate for LEED level recognition AND allow the cc to be more sustainable (like water recovery/use and perhaps gardening) like Vancouver CC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

It would be cool to have some vegetation on the roof. With the size of this facility and all to break up a giant roof. Just think of how pleasant a view from anything a few stories up is looking down at the Cox CC'a roof is...

Convention center on track, parking to be considered

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record May 3, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – The new downtown convention center will be a balanced model of hospitality and functionality with plenty of natural lighting and easy traffic access, Populous GSB Inc. representatives said Tuesday.

The conceptual design plan unanimously approved by the City Council is a unique opportunity to shape how visitors remember Oklahoma City, company principal Todd Voth said.

“We’re very excited about the opportunity to create a facility that distinguishes you in the marketplace and also delivers what you really want for the community,” Voth said.

The project at 500 S. Robinson Ave. is still under its $288 million budget, architect Adam Paulitsch told City Council members. However, that assessment was questioned by Councilman Ed Shadid, who focused on parking at the center. If a building designed to hold thousands of people – it’s larger than the Chesapeake Energy Arena – will require additional parking space later, then it’s not a fully realized plan, Shadid said.

Populous’ responsibility as the architecture firm is to provide a design in accordance with City Hall’s contract, Paulitsch said. The report presented Tuesday was developed to confirm that the selected site can accommodate the MAPS 3 project, identify any insurmountable limitations and determine the ideal site configuration including incorporation of a potential hotel. The plan also identifies the potential for eventual expansions and provides floor plans.

“Although parking is not in our scope of work, we have been tasked with citing specific locations where vehicles can fit on the site,” he said. “As it stands right now, we think we can fit approximately 750 vehicles in surface parking lots directly to the south and east, and we’re now in the middle of a parking study … about how we can incorporate parking within the footprint of the convention center.”

In April, the MAPS 3 subcommittee requested more studies on meeting room locations and sun protections on the west side of the building. Subcommittee member Larry Nichols, executive chairman of Devon Energy, expressed concern about the traffic flow around the building.

Paulitsch said Populous has conducted case studies to provide some guidance on the Oklahoma City project and help shape it into a showcase of modern convention center design. Those sites include the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas, noted for its unique design elements; the Vancouver Convention Center in Canada for its scale; and the Anaheim Convention Center in California for its adaptability.

“We see the industry going more toward a hospitality-focused design,” Paulitsch said.

The building’s front door will be about 800 feet from the nearest streetcar stop and 90 feet to a planned convention center hotel.

I've got all the images from the last presentation that I will post later, but here is a taste (almost all the surface parking would eventually be taken by future expansion of the center):

I can't wait to see some actual design images. Overall this should have a great presence with the park nearby and definitely help push development southward. Lots of options and opportunities can be sprouted from a proper implementation of the convention center.

In these renderings the future expansion is to the south. They could opt to build a long (or multiple) garage(s) along shields? 3-4 stories. Eventually could have mixed use first level. Could have a parking level below grade? Why do we let parking dictate.

In the last presentation on this project, they said they are looking at many parking options, including below grade.

Parking is not pat of the convention center budget but I suspect they are planning to use TIF funds for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    In these renderings the future expansion is to the south. They could opt to build a long (or multiple) garage(s) along shields? 3-4 stories. Eventually could have mixed use first level. Could have a parking level below grade? Why do we let parking dictate.
    I'm not understanding your concern?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'm not understanding your concern?
    I think they need to do a garage. I was commenting regarding the opinion of Ed Shadid, and the need for parking, especially if the convention center was to expand.

Pete, do you know if the future hotel will have parking as well?

I don't really think there's much doubt that a garage will go in eventually. Is it necessary to have that planned right at this moment? Probably not. The thing won't be finished until the end of the decade anyway.

To me, the writing is on the wall that the SE block of Broadway/OKCBlvd will be a substantial garage.

Pete, do you know if the future hotel will have parking as well?
    In the preliminary proposals, most hotels showed some parking incorporated but also stated that they would need access to nearby parking to be provided by the city.

An by the Oklahoman with a very interesting video presentation showing the thought process into the design.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5502919

17. Default Re: Convention Center

I took photos of this building a few years back because I knew this would eventually happen. Can't find the thread for it anymore.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/550...a38bcdc9937799

https://flickr.com/photos/59136137@N...57634784488953

Blog Entries

It will be of interest to see all the construction in the downtown core once they break ground on the convention center complex with the conference hotel.

Just maybe, OG&E will be ready break ground on something around 2020 since their temporary solution to OG&E Springs is to build a park. The demand for 1st class downtown office space should be ready to see a new spike around 2018.

International Harvestor building is being torn down </3 ((

I would like to collect a few bricks from this building. I got some from the Film Exchange building.

Blog Entries

Parking has to dictate; furthermore if it doesn't, parking concerns near the convention center will factor into its success. If you want to kill a convention center; make it difficult to park for the conventioneers who use the car rental services--they will get the bad word out.

We will build a convention center; so let's construct something that will attract several smaller 150-250 room hotels with parking nearby in addition to the larger anchor 600-plus conference hotel.

We have many tourist options:

Riversports Rapids
    Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum
    Oklahoma City Zoo
    Science Museum Oklahoma
    Oklahoma City Museum of Art
    National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
    Centennial Land Run Monument
    Bricktown Entertainment & Canal District
    Myriad Botanical Gardens

Our metropolitan area population should eclipse 1.450 million with 680,000 in the city come 2020; beyond the 20s will be OKC's true 'boom town' period.

21. Default Re: Convention Center

OKC will hit those numbers well before 2020. Isn't the metro area already at 1.4m for 2015?

I think it might be reasonable for OKC to have north of 1.5m by 2015 and 700K in the city (unless there's some land divestiture of populated areas, which while I want land divestiture I don't want the city to axe significant population), considering the current 'downturn' but expected upswing by 2018.

As for attractions, dont forget to add the the larger Boathouse District along with Oklahoma Contemporary, not to mention the American Indian Museum and Cultural Center itself which should be done by then. Isn't there supposed to be an Oklahoma African American Museum/Cultural Center in the works as well?

If we can get all of this by 2020 (and maybe also MLS team/stadium along with OKC Thunder having at least one NBA championship- hehe), then OKC could really shine brightly against peer 1.5m - 3m metros.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

The ACOG population projection for its service area by 2040 is 1.6M.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    OKC will hit those numbers well before 2020. Isn't the metro area already at 1.4m for 2015?

I think it might be reasonable for OKC to have north of 1.5m by 2015 and 700K in the city (unless there's some land divestiture of populated areas, which while I want land divestiture I don't want the city to axe significant population), considering the current 'downturn' but expected upswing by 2018.

As for attractions, dont forget to add the the larger Boathouse District along with Oklahoma Contemporary, not to mention the American Indian Museum and Cultural Center itself which should be done by then. Isn't there supposed to be an Oklahoma African American Museum/Cultural Center in the works as well?

If we can get all of this by 2020 (and maybe also MLS team/stadium along with OKC Thunder having at least one NBA championship- hehe), then OKC could really shine brightly against peer 1.5m - 3m metros.
    Metro OKC has a population of 1,358,452 as of 2015. With an average yearly growth of about 20,000. The OKC metro will have about 1,460,000 in 2020.

Here is a link to those Census numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Metro OKC has a population of 1,358,452 as of 2015. With an average yearly growth of about 20,000. The OKC metro will have about 1,460,000 in 2020.

Here is a link to those Census numbers.
    IMO, OKC could experience even greater growth If, changes occur on the political level, employment diversification, and continued investment in lifestyle improvements to attract and retain millennials. OKC's growth appears bright with potential to be historically good. We are on the right track.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    The ACOG population projection for its service area by 2040 is 1.6M.
    It's really difficult to project the growth of a metropolitan area that many years ahead because there a so many factors that affect growth.

HotRod's predictions about population growth could turn out to be correct; we could see 1.5-1.6 million come 2020.

Thread Information