Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 217 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What if you had two brands (serving two different price-points) in the same facility? Kind of like the Bricktown hotel going up right now... except instead of joined next door, stack the lower-end hotel on top of the higher-end hotel. That way you can get a range of price-points and also get to the sheer volume of hotel rooms needed to book the CC solid with major conventions, and you also make a legitimate skyscraper economically feasible.

Like say, W for the first 20 floors, then Aloft or some other Starwood for another 15-20 floors..
    Just 2?? How about 5 like in Indianapolis. JW Marriott, Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield, and Springhill all connected to their convention center.

http://www.jwindy.com/marriottplace

Wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What if you had two brands (serving two different price-points) in the same facility? Kind of like the Bricktown hotel going up right now... except instead of joined next door, stack the lower-end hotel on top of the higher-end hotel. That way you can get a range of price-points and also get to the sheer volume of hotel rooms needed to book the CC solid with major conventions, and you also make a legitimate skyscraper economically feasible.

Like say, W for the first 20 floors, then Aloft or some other Starwood for another 15-20 floors..
    This is done in residential high rises where the "for rent" floors are the lower floors and the condos are upper. They have separate elevators and may have separate entrances/lobbies. It works with hotels, but the better brand/service would be upper, not lower. I don't know of any examples in the hundreds of hotels I worked on, but it sure could work fine with one developer and two operators/franchises. It is done with combination of condos and hotels...usually premium brands.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...n_broadway.php

Down low along Broadway, just north of where David Letterman does his shtick and backing up to the stalled site at 250 West 55th Street, the Frankentower will present a six-story block in glass with retail, restaurants and hotel lobby. The Buildings Department has approved the plan and the Schedule A lays out the room scheme. Rising above the base will be a Courtyard Inn, covering floors 7-31, with 14 rooms per floor. On top of that will be a 30-story Residence Inn with 9 rooms per floor. The two-in-one combo will offer visitors the option of long term stays, a profitable package popular with both hoteliers and guests, especially in these budget conscious times.

Blog Entries

The meeting rooms, etc. can be operated separately from each hotel. Catering serving all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This is done in residential high rises where the "for rent" floors are the lower floors and the condos are upper. They have separate elevators and may have separate entrances/lobbies. It works with hotels, but the better brand/service would be upper, not lower. I don't know of any examples in the hundreds of hotels I worked on, but it sure could work fine with one developer and two operators/franchises. It is done with combination of condos and hotels...usually premium brands.
    Sure, for some reason I was thinking proximity to street amenities could be the prime space, but obviously the higher you go, the more upscale it should be..is the rule of thumb. My point wasn't to specifically illustrate where a W could go in relation to the Aloft, but rather just to point out that all of these chains operate a number of hotel brands - going with a family hotels may be a better way to achieve what we're looking for with the convention hotel project, particularly if the city is fronting any of the bill for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    A perfect example of the dual hotel concept is the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Vegas which has a Four Seasons Hotel on the upper floors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    A perfect example of the dual hotel concept is the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Vegas which has a Four Seasons Hotel on the upper floors.
    Yes...I forgot about Mandalay Bay. Good example. On a smaller scale, perfect for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Yep, have stayed at that Four Seasons.

9. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Congrats.

Sorry if this has been posted else where.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-near...rticle/3701500

Blog Entries

It looks like the article and report supports what some of us keep saying...it is time to quit being satisfied with cheap hotel room development and do some big boy development with quality full service hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yep, have stayed at that Four Seasons.
    Have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?

13. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

City names convention center short list

Four teams of architectural firms were notified Aug. 8 that they will be presenting MAPS 3 convention center concepts on Sept. 21 before the Consultant Review Committee.
    Those teams on the short list, which includes Oklahoma City-based and out-of-state firms, include: Denver-based Fentress Architects and TAParchitecture; Frankfurt Short Bruza and Atlanta-based tvsdesign; Kansas City, Mo.-based HNTB Architecture and Rees; and Kansas City, Mo.-based Populous and GSB Inc.

Fourteen proposals were under consideration.

The selection was just one piece of the ongoing process to construct a convention center downtown. Oklahoma City voters passed MAPS 3 in 2009. It included $280 million for the convention center to replace the aging Cox Convention Center.

Modifications to that amount were made when it was determined that $30 million of that total was intended to pay for moving an OG&E substation on the proposed sight just south of the central business district. The convention center subcommittee ultimately decided the convention center would not be on that sight, and instead would be just west of Chesapeake Energy Arena. At that point, the budget was shaved to just more than $252 million, with $30 million in an infrastructure contingency fund.

In August 2011, members of the Oklahoma City Council approved that option in a 5-4 vote. Ward 4 Councilman Pete White added the amendment that the $30 million be placed in the contingency and earmarked for infrastructure at the convention center.

The city’s MAPS 3 website shows that based on the current budget, the center will have about 470,000 square feet, with 235,000 square feet as sellable space for events. The goal is to get Oklahoma City from a Tier 3 city to a Tier 2 city in terms of convention center space.

14. Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

Populous, please.

Tvsdesign!

Populous!

Not a fan of Populous myself. They've massively cut staff lately and my background info tells me the City was actually very unhappy with their design process for the Thunder practice facility.

I think tvsdesign and Fentress will be the two front-runners.

Fentress/TAP

Tvsdesign

Ok, Im fully aware of some projects that TAP has had a presence on but as hotel design goes...these names don't mean squat to me. Anyone have any pics or links they can post of any developments these front running firms have built or had a hand in designing? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Ok, Im fully aware of some projects that TAP has had a presence on but as hotel design goes...these names don't mean squat to me. Anyone have any pics or links they can post of any developments these front running firms have built or had a hand in designing? Thanks in advance.
    Links to their websites are on the last page. HOWEVER, this is for the convention center design, NOT the hotel.

Well somebody posted this info in the wrong thread then ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Links to their websites are on the last page. HOWEVER, this is for the convention center design, NOT the hotel.
    they are going to be fully attached and most likely the winner will get both jobs

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they are going to be fully attached and most likely the winner will get both jobs
    I doubt it, the hotel operator will have a say on the design, whether it be Omni, Hilton, or whoever.

Thread Information