Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC Churches similar to Tulsa's Church on the Move?

Default OKC Churches similar to Tulsa's Church on the Move?

Through youtube I just recently saw some incredible stage productions done by Church on the Move in Tulsa. Especially with their Christmas shows, the production and performance standards are almost Broadway quality.

Is there anything similar in OKC? I don't mean simply contemporary services... I mean productions done at this level of professionalism.

I read where Crossings was expanding their contemporary services but is it anything like this?

Default Re: OKC Churches similar to Tulsa's Church on the Move?

Nice to see the church using donations to do God's work.

I obviously don't know about finances of it all but they employ Andy Chrisman (the lead vocalist in the video I linked and former lead man of 4Him, a very successful Christian music act) and a bunch of other performers, musicians, technical people, directors and stage crew.

I read that they are the largest church in Tulsa, with almost 10,000 attending services every Sunday. Also, they are directly affiliated with neighboring Lincoln Christian School which has a massive, expensive complex including great athletic facilities.

But I assume they operate like any church: members tithe and visitors (thousands attend various pageants) make donations. It's just all on a very large scale.

Having said all that, I'm very impressed with their productions. Their Christmas shows are better than a lot of what you see on TV.

4. Default Re: OKC Churches similar to Tulsa's Church on the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Nice to see the church using donations to do God's work.
    No joke. Looks like they could use their time and money to actually help those in need.

Do we think Jesus would be more impressed with doing actual charitable works or with fancy laserlight shows?

Quote Originally Posted by midtowner View Post
    nice to see the church using donations to do god's work.
    LOL!

Seriously, though, I would be really creeped out going to a place like that. Feels very culty.

7. Default Re: OKC Churches similar to Tulsa's Church on the Move?

No, Crossings expansion will not create anything like that. Thank goodness. It's not about the production. It's about Him.

I'm no fan of the mega-church but I don't necessarily agree that it's wrong for them to put money into productions.

Isn't the first role of a church to reach as many as possible and influence them with their teachings? If you can do something that brings in and inspires more people, why wouldn't you do it? The music and stage shows are just part of the service which includes a sermon and invitational.

It's clear plenty are drawn to their approach (especially the younger crowd) and in return they have a massive ministry and have been able to build a large school that also promotes their ideals. While more traditional churches are shrinking, they are filling their arena-sized sanctuary.

And it's not to say they don't do charitable things in addition to provide elaborate services. I'm sure all this is self-sustaining through their membership and probably brings in tons more money which allows them to do plenty of charitable work.

Frankly, I think it's rather a cool approach and very up-lifting. It's not my cup of tea but they do an amazing job and that obviously appeals to thousands.

How are we teaching anything with the Grinch doing the dance from Thriller? Is the crowd there for the special effects/pyrotechnics or is it there to hear an uplifting sermon. Let's be realistic.

But that number was a few minutes out of a long service.

Sure, some people just come for the show but they COME. And they also sit through the larger message and I'm sure many were moved by it.

The idea is to make the whole experience fun and entertaining. That doesn't preclude teaching -- you could argue it enhances it.

Churches have always tried to combine fun & message.

And BTW, this whole subject is being debated in schools. More progressive learning institutions are looking at how to engage young people growing up in a fast-paced, interactive world where they are constantly bombarded with stimulus.

WWJD ?

(fwiw, rumor has it He wasn't a big fan of public displays, money changers and curtain calls. Just repeating what I heard. I wasn't there. I only look that old sometimes.)

In other words, they are trying to reach the mentally lazy. Okay, I get that these things have a right to exist, but I have a tough time taking them very seriously.

Thread Information