Widgets Magazine

Thread: New Construction @ Memorial & Portland??

Default New Construction @ Memorial & Portland??

For the last few weeks i've noticed a construction crew in the area just east of The Greens subdivision entry on the South side of Memorial - directly across the turnpike from the Sonic in what i thought was a greenbelt area. Anyone know what's being built on that site?

Default Re: New Construction @ Memorial & Portland??

According the county assessor's site, all that property is owned by the state department of transportation.

Maybe they are finally looking at improving that interchange? The on/off ramp from Westbound Kilpatrick to Southbound Hefner Parkway is horrible. That stop light needs to go and a dedicated merging lane/ramp or whatever needs to be built.

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    Maybe they are finally looking at improving that interchange? The on/off ramp from Westbound Kilpatrick to Southbound Hefner Parkway is horrible. That stop light needs to go and a dedicated merging lane/ramp or whatever needs to be built.
    Maybe you phrased something wrong, but going from westbound Kilpatrick to southbound Hefner Parkway, you get a flyover ramp and dedicated lane when you come off the ramp onto southbound Henfer Pkwy.

Are you maybe referring to going from southbound Hefner Parkway to westbound Kilpatrick?

5. Default Re: New Construction @ Memorial & Portland??

eastbound turnpike to southbound parkway needs a ramp. northbound parkway to westbound turnpike needs a ramp. also southbound broadway extension to eastbound turnpike needs a ramp as well. its silly to go down to 122nd, exit, then do a uturn.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Maybe you phrased something wrong, but going from westbound Kilpatrick to southbound Hefner Parkway, you get a flyover ramp and dedicated lane when you come off the ramp onto southbound Henfer Pkwy.

Are you maybe referring to going from southbound Hefner Parkway to westbound Kilpatrick?
    Ooops. I am.

This is totally off subject from what the original poster was asking, but I'll continue on... The Kilpatrick/Hefner Interchange needs to look like this...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Virgin...13672&t=k&z=16

...southbound Hefner Parkway to westbound Kilpatrick?
    Huh?? You mean, either northbound Hefner Parkway to westbound Kilpatrick or eastbound Kilpatrick to southbound Hefner Parkway. Either of these options you have to deal with Memorial Road traffic and stoplights. Never was good planning by ODOT, even when they knew that they would eventually extend the Kilpatrick over towards Yukon. Texas DOT plans in advance, as I'm sure many other states do. Just not here :-(

8. Default Re: New Construction @ Memorial & Portland??

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Huh?? You mean, either northbound Hefner Parkway to westbound Kilpatrick or eastbound Kilpatrick to southbound Hefner Parkway. Either of these options you have to deal with Memorial Road traffic and stoplights. Never was good planning by ODOT, even when they knew that they would eventually extend the Kilpatrick over towards Yukon. Texas DOT plans in advance, as I'm sure many other states do. Just not here :-(
    How funny - double error in this thread. It's easy to get confused at this location. But OKCisOK4me (bolded above) has it right -those are the two problem spots.

Yessir! That interchange makes me want to say what my dad says all the time to avoid cussing..."what a pisser", lol.

Ok, i drove by a couple of hours ago and i noticed they have a bunch of large diameter pvc pipe running parallel to Memorial, about 50 yards from the road. I just wanted to make sure they werent building another c store/liquor store strip mall.

I drove through the greens bc i always like seeing some of the interesting houses in that neighborhood, and i noticed a ton of houses for sale. Anyone know if that neighborhood has seen a spike in crime or what might be causing the exodus?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Heel View Post
    Ok, i drove by a couple of hours ago and i noticed they have a bunch of large diameter pvc pipe running parallel to Memorial, about 50 yards from the road. I just wanted to make sure they werent building another c store/liquor store strip mall.

I drove through the greens bc i always like seeing some of the interesting houses in that neighborhood, and i noticed a ton of houses for sale. Anyone know if that neighborhood has seen a spike in crime or what might be causing the exodus?
    No crime increase. We have all become very wealthy and are buying houses in Gallardia.

White flight due to John Marshall.

White flight due to John Marshall.
    But hasnt the new John Marshall been open for a few years already? Also, i looked at some of the homes for sale in The Greens, and according to the Tax site, they're in the Edmond school district.

I've always been curious about that corner. It seems like such a marquis location. Even though I tend to prefer downtown for such things, I nevertheless think it would be an ideal spot for a really first class, mid-rise office tower, maybe also an upscale hotel. There is nothing of Marriott+ quality north of NW Highway or Nichols Hills. Maybe something like Waterford (without the condos) tucked into that corner? Think of the demographics within a couple of miles of that intersection: Quail Creek, Greens, Val Verde, Gaillardia... Seems like a waste for it to remain vacant.

It is my guess that DOT is widening Portland/Hwy 74 up to 206th and will have off ramps dedicated to 150th and 164th. There is a $12M DOT grant for that vicinity and construction is supposed to end sometime in 2013(??). Addtionally,there are new large metal poles (excuse my professional ignorance - I'm a blonde, and I don't work in construction) that have recently been errected on the old McGee property from 150th to 164th halfway between Meridian and Portland. Lots of road construction activity all along Portland from 150th to 206th.

But hasnt the new John Marshall been open for a few years already? Also, i looked at some of the homes for sale in The Greens, and according to the Tax site, they're in the Edmond school district.
    I think the OKCPS/Edmond border in that area (and much of north OKC) is the quarter section line between 122nd and Memorial. The south side of The Greens is OKCPS and the north side is Edmond public schools.

Thread Information