Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: KWTV and Mason Dunn part ways

Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I feel bad for Jim having to deal with the disrespect that KFOR is doing to him. They ignore him. They don't mention him. They don't let him talk on the air. All nothing. He is still an employee and his contract is still active until later this year. Its like the entire KFOR shunned him for leaving.
    That's pretty standard, Thunder. If a station is losing a high-profile employee to a competitor, they try to blunt their popularity by taking them off the air for a while. KOCO did the same thing with Mike Morgan when he was moving to Ch. 4.

So is Jim Gardner still going to KWTV? Just tonight, I saw a commercial on 9 advertising their new helicopter pilot who is a former Army Blackhawk pilot.

3. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

That ad has been playing for a week or two I think. Had the same thought if they just tossed in the towel on the idea.

It is possible that KFOR gave Jim a better offer to stay on board.

5. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    It is possible that KFOR gave Jim a better offer to stay on board.
    I would think if they did then they would be using his name again on air, which they haven't.

6. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I would think if they did then they would be using his name again on air, which they haven't.
    Or, maybe he decided to go back to California.

KFOR must have found a new pilot because they are airing promo's about a new member to the team being announce Tuesday and the sound of a helicopter starting up, playing in the background.

John Welsh is the new Channel 4 Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    John Welsh is the new Channel 4 Pilot
    Is Jim Gardner still going to KWTV or is the new trend to replace all the pilots with younger ex army helicopter pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Is Jim Gardner still going to KWTV or is the new trend to replace all the pilots with younger ex army helicopter pilots?
    yes he is heading over to news 9

this is from KFOR Facebook page
    Thanks to you who have asked what happened to Jim Gardner. Last year Jim decided he wasn’t going to renew his contract to fly Chopper 4. Although he is no longer flying, he’s still with us as an employee in a different capacity. Jim plans to leave when his contract expires later this year. Like you, we wish him well.
    So it sounds like he will be joining KWTV next year

employee in a different capacity
    So their basically paying him to do nothing until his contract is up. lol

yep exactly i think he really want to go and fly a helicopter but he can't do so

14. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Here's the quote from above:

Thanks to you who have asked what happened to Jim Gardner. Last year Jim decided he wasn’t going to renew his contract to fly Chopper 4. Although he is no longer flying, he’s still with us as an employee in a different capacity. Jim plans to leave when his contract expires later this year. Like you, we wish him well.

Now here's the translation without all the politically correct garbage:

Please stop hounding us about Jim Gardner. KWTV stole him from us, just like they did Bobbie Miller. We could have let him go immediately, but we're so petty that we are going to keep him here in misery until his contract expires. It's well worth the money to prevent him from doing sweeps coverage at KWTV. We know you wish him well, but we're kinda hoping he dings the NEWS 9 copter and ruins it for a few months. (Not that we're bitter or anything!) ;-)

15. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

LOL pretty much.

So July 28th is when they announced the hire internally. Would that be pretty close to the end of his contract? Definitely see where they want to keep him off air for the April/May/June storm season.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    . . . . Now here's the translation without all the politically correct garbage:

Please stop hounding us about Jim Gardner. KWTV stole him from us, just like they did Bobbie Miller. We could have let him go immediately, but we're so petty that we are going to keep him here in misery until his contract expires. It's well worth the money to prevent him from doing sweeps coverage at KWTV. We know you wish him well, but we're kinda hoping he dings the NEWS 9 copter and ruins it for a few months. (Not that we're bitter or anything!) ;-)
    That was worth reading. I was in a pretty foul mood until I read that. I had been wondering what was going on. At least they didn't shove him down a memory hole. "Jim who? You must be mistaken: There is not now nor has there ever been a helicopter pilot with that name at KFOR.".

Quote Originally Posted by woodyrr View Post
    That was worth reading. I was in a pretty foul mood until I read that. I had been wondering what was going on. At least they didn't shove him down a memory hole. "Jim who? You must be mistaken: There is not now nor has there ever been a helicopter pilot with that name at KFOR.".
    sad thing is thats pretty much what they have done..he's counting down the days until july and I dont blame him. He is a top notch pilot and nice guy. It will be a shame to not see him in the hallways. They may publicly wish him well but he has been treated poorly since

18. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

That is sad for Jimmy. He got no work to do through this predicted active storm season. The outbreaks coming up this week will be painful for Jimmy to just sit by doing nothing. :-(

As for Chopper 4's new pilot, which is it... John or Jon? It's been typed both ways on CC.

Jim will probably help in the behind the scenes with the severe weather

Default Re: KWTV and Mason Dunn part ways

Does anyone know what Mason Dunn is doing these days is he still flying News Helicopters?

Thread Information