Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: KWTV and Mason Dunn part ways

Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Thanks Venture, think we are on the same page now...

And thanks Bomber for at least seeing the same thing too (I wasn't imagining it)...

Agree with what 1-4-1 is saying and that is how I use the siren...get to a radio or tv and find out if I need to run for cover!

2. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

"Gary, we've got a major thread derailment over here on the internet at OKCtalk, you might want to declare it a PDS...Mason Dunn, Ranger Nine, back to you."

Per The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/2011/07/2...-9/#more-16924)

Well, it looks like some helicopter drama is unfolding over the Oklahoma City metro.

We have learned that Bob Moore Chopper 4 pilot Jim Gardner will be leaving Channel 4 to take over the piloting duties for Channel 9. Gardner will be replacing Mason Dunn who was fired in June.

Here’s an email sent by Channel 9′s Todd Spessard to employees earlier today:

Date: July 28, 2011 10:31:58 AM CDT
    To: Griffin Communications – All Staff
    Subject: SkyNews 9 HD Pilot Announcement

Hello all, I’m pleased and excited to let you know that Jim Gardner will be joining Oklahoma’s Own News 9 as the full time pilot of SkyNews 9 HD. Jim will bring more than 25 years of experience to News 9 and has won numerous Emmy Awards for his piloting and reporting including his coverage of the May 3rd 1999 Tornados and 2003 Oklahoma City Tornados. Jim got his start in California working in film and photo work and then became the morning pilot for KCAL where he covered numerous stories including the LA riots, earthquakes, wild fires, flooding, mudslides and the O.J. Simpson chase.

Jim and I have had several conversations over the past few weeks and I can tell you that he is very excited to make the move. Jim will make a great addition to our team. Jim is currently under contract with KFOR—so his start date with us is TBA. In the meantime, we have an active plan to make sure we are covered when it comes to flying. Thanks—and holler with questions.

Cheers,Todd

Todd Spessard
    Director, PM Content

Also, here’s a snippet of an email sent to News 9 advertisers by an advertising account executive for Channel 9. It shows how News 9 is already spinning the situation to the people who really matter…their advertisers:

You may have noticed that our helicopter has been grounded for a short time. We are really happy about hiring this new pilot who already has a great reputation in the Oklahoma City Market, and brings with him the best experience a pilot can have, when it comes to covering news stories. This will translate to higher viewership, higher ratings, more people watching our news. We are proud to acquire the best news helicopter pilot in the country, and we will have him on board shortly.

We’ll have more on this story later, but here are some quick questions:

• Are there any legal ramifications to this? For example, is Channel 9 allowed to negotiate with someone who is under contract with a local competitor?

• What are the odds that Mason Dunn replaces Jim Gardener at Channel 4?

• What does Gary England think about this?

Let us know in the comments.

4. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Not really shocked to be honest. I would almost assume Mason gets hired by Channel 4 at this time, if he is still in town and looking.

I also expect that Channel 9 will make a play for either Mike or Rick when Gary retires.

I will personally guarantee [you, or anyone else] that anytime you see an email begining with . . .

"Hello all, I’m pleased and excited . . ."

And ending with:

. . . . "Cheers"

Everything in between is [bovine fertilizer].

I guess that the state of media middle-management in Oklahoma--and most likely everywhere else--is even more sorry and insipid than I previously believed.

KWTV's ratings will still stink. I like Jim Gardner but trust me he doesn't "make" Channel 4. Plus I don't see his energetic, almost hyperventalating meshing up with Gary's style. He will regret this move once they make him fly 12 hours straight looking at clouds.

And yes KFOR is probably typing up Mason Dunn's contract right now. With all this moving around things are going to be awkward at the next Ogle Family BBQ.

"With all this moving around things are going to be awkward at the next Ogle Family BBQ."

Perfection.

(I woulda PM'd that there, but I ain't figgured out that there function yet...)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post

(I woulda PM'd that there, but I ain't figgured out that there function yet...)

For you, and others. One way is to place your cursor on the person's name and then left click

Box opens

Scroll down to Private message link in the box. Click

New screen opens.

Enter PM message title

Enter PM message text

Scroll down and click Submit message button.

9. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

I am shocked and disappointed in his mistake on moving to KWTV.

Thank you, Kevin.

That sounds a whole lot easier than flying a helicopter in and around thunderstorms for [over] [twelve] hours and then, after landing, having to deal with some over-amped--"excited"--pinhead in a suit, about whether you were doing enough for the company while he is texting someone else entirely about an entirely different matter. (There's "Multi-Tasking" and then there is flying helicopters. =)

Lightbulb Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

I guess since Mason is out of a job, and Jim Gardner is now his replacement......wouldn't it be logical for Mason to move to NewsChannel 4? Love Jim Gardner, but do not care for Gary England.

NOOOO!!!!!! Why Jim why!?!?!?!

I know the underlying motives for his move. I dont blame him for the decision. Just will be a shame to not see him around the station

when the Bob Moore contract is up it may be curtains for 4's chopper

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1 View Post
    I know the underlying motives for his move. I dont blame him for the decision. Just will be a shame to not see him around the station

when the Bob Moore contract is up it may be curtains for 4's chopper
    Care to share what the "underlying motives" are???

He got a better deal. business pure and simple

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBeerMan View Post
    • Are there any legal ramifications to this? For example, is Channel 9 allowed to negotiate with someone who is under contract with a local competitor?
    I can't think of any.

Wow...all I can think of is "that's a hell of a lot of money to pay to cover up the screw-up of a new news director!" Jim will do well wherever he lands. If Ch. 4 were smart (and they are), they'd be picking up the contract on Mason Dunn before the ink is dry on Jim Gardner's new deal with Ch. 9. I think Ch. 4 will come out the winner on this thing and Ch. 9 will continue to show the poor decision-making that has landed them in 3rd place in the ratings.

18. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

As much as I don't really care for the Morgan hype machine, I really enjoy Mason's reporting during storm coverage. Always very calm and no fluff. It might finally be the end of watching 9 during severe weather.

You would think Channel 9 would push to make other changes to improve their ratings. Perhaps staffing their on camera news crew with ditzy bimbos isn't the way to go that would find it difficult to get a weekend reporter gig in a larger market.

It's been awhile, but Mason Dunn parked his truck on the Channel 9's helipad (against corporate policy and in defiance of common sense), forgot about it, and then pushed the helicopter into his truck (the helo was on wheels). It was going to be a double ass-kicking if he got caught (the parking infraction plus dinging their helicopter), so he ordered parts to repair the damage and didn't tell anyone. As he was waiting for them to arrive - sure enough - severe weather came in. "Mason - get in the air!" But he couldn't because the helicopter was grounded. So you can imagine the news director dealing with incoming severe weather, and then finding out that Mason broke the helicopter and tried to cover it up.

Incidentally, he isn't licensed to perform repair work on helicopters, so he was about to knowingly violate federal regulations by making the repairs, and even more regulations by flying an improperly-serviced aircraft.

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

If Channel 4 wants to hire a guy with a recent history of snowballing judgmental errors, go right ahead. I'd only ask that he keep the helicopter away from my neighborhood.

OKT'r:
    I honestly think that your post needs to appear on (or in) The Wikipedia Version of Events and History.
    (No snark was involved nor injured in the typing of the sentence immediately preceeding this one. =)

Is there an Award for : Excellence in Virtual StoryTelling?

So maybe Channel 9 had reasons. And it sure sounds that way. I may be low in the News 9 food chain, but I heard what happened that night... and it's amazing he wasn't fired on the spot.

Oh, and take a look at this. Mason was the pilot:
    http://www.faa.gov/data_research/acc...a/J_0725_N.txt

22. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Hmm...gonna have to call BS on this one. Just doesn't smell right. The blessing of anonymous posters who have no accountability for what is posted.

Sounds like someone closer to the situation that is preaching sour grapes.

I may be low on the KFOR totem pole but the account and accident that sammie has given is the same as I have heard so I dont dismiss it.

Ill quote someone in the know..: Mason is done as a tv chopper pilot in this city"

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1 View Post
    I may be low on the KFOR totem pole but the account and accident that sammie has given is the same as I have heard so I dont dismiss it.

Ill quote someone in the know..: Mason is done as a tv chopper pilot in this city"

Then please explain why he's already under contact with another local TV Station!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
    So maybe Channel 9 had reasons. And it sure sounds that way. I may be low in the News 9 food chain, but I heard what happened that night... and it's amazing he wasn't fired on the spot.

Oh, and take a look at this. Mason was the pilot:
    http://www.faa.gov/data_research/acc...a/J_0725_N.txt
    According to Helihub.com, the copter in that crash is owned by Interstate Helicopter in Bethany and is apparently leased to KTUL Channel 8 in Tulsa, FWIW.

Thread Information