Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: KWTV and Mason Dunn part ways

Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

The story may not be over yet; tonight on the 10 p.m. news, his name was mentioned as "Sky-9 pilot Mason Dunn" (in a story about the floods a year ago today) and the usual practice there (as at nearly all TV stations) is never to mention ex-employees, especially recent ones. Anyone remember when Randy Renner was caught in an embarassing situation and summarily vanished from KWTV's sight -- even though at the time he was featured host of a regular show there!

2. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

I would imagine if Mason Dunn shows back up at KWTV, it will be quickly followed by the sudden departure of a news director.

3. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I would imagine if Mason Dunn shows back up at KWTV, it will be quickly followed by the sudden departure of a news director.
    I believe that will happen. News Director are not the highest position, so that guy is doomed. They all know about this site and they are very much aware that we are on the situation day-by-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I believe that will happen. News Director are not the highest position, so that guy is doomed. They all know about this site and they are very much aware that we are on the situation day-by-day.
    Not likely, broadcast management is to short sighted with their heads firmly up their rears. Also the former news director is now a VP at Griffin Comm.My understanding is that Mason and the former News Director also butted heads. So his firing seems to have the support of higher ups.
    Not agreeing on his firing, just saying it probably wont be reversed.

And yes they do look at this site and I better shut up quick, since my username could give my identity away.

I think you need to look into how these places are run. He may not the highest, but certainly very near the top of the food chain.

In a fair world, the big-wigs at KWTV would realize that Mason gets the eyeballs on the channel, and the news director? Not so much...

Quite true, but who ever claimed that the world is fair?

The difference in quality of their weather coverage was certainly apparent over the weekend, however -- break-ins every couple of minutes although nothing was happening. That's a fine way to chase viewers to the competition in a hurry!

Appears to me Mason has grounds to sue for wrongful discharge. The news director's actions were illegal. An employer can't force someone to break the law in order to keep his job.

I'd also ask for punitive damages due to Channel 9's blatant disregard for the the pilot's health and safety, and the safety of the public if he had been involved in a crash. Very serious stuff.

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...fm?newsId=6762

"Current FAA regulations for domestic flights generally limit pilots to eight hours of flight time during a 24-hour period...an air carrier may not schedule any pilot and no pilot may accept an assignment for flight time in scheduled air transportation or other commercial flying if that pilot’s total flight time will exceed the regulatory limits."

Just for the record, I rather doubt ch 9 or anyone else makes hiring/firing decisions based on OKCTalk postings.

10. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    Just for the record, I rather doubt ch 9 or anyone else makes hiring/firing decisions based on OKCTalk postings.
    No, they don't. You entirely missed the point. They are aware that we exposed them. They are aware that thousands of viewers are aware of their action. I doubt that KWTV as a whole was in on it. Its just that one estranged News Director. What I find sad is that the entire staff at KWTV did not protest of any kind against the firing decision.

They all know about this site and they are very much aware that we are on the situation day-by-day.
    I doubt there is a news station ANYWHERE that cares about what is said on a message board...

Thunder seems to think he knows how TV stations run, there are people that would slit their mothers neck to lead the 10. I doubt a few internet postings will make a difference

No, they don't. You entirely missed the point. They are aware that we exposed them.
    again, doubt that is the case...

What I find sad is that the entire staff at KWTV did not protest of any kind against the firing decision.
    why? you think ANYONE in the media is willing to stand up and risk thier jobs too?!!?

Mason Dunn alone acted correctly and responsibly by refusing to fly beyond his 8 hours. He has federal aviation regulations on his side - he didn't need other Ch 9 staffers to do anything. If he had caved in and ended up in an accident, the FAA could have blamed him and revoked his pilot's license. At which point he could sue Ch 9 and probably win some damages, but his career as a pilot would be over. No employer is worth losing your professional certification.

15. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1 View Post
    Thunder seems to think he knows how TV stations run, there are people that would slit their mothers neck to lead the 10. I doubt a few internet postings will make a difference
    Really? In 2011? They still think a 10:00 local newscast in Oklahoma City really matters? Such self-importance in that industry. If it does matter today at all, give it another couple of years and they'll all be like the 5:30 network evening news.

There is a Facebook page with the latest information on this. Just type in The Canary in your search box, look for the News 9 helicopter photo.

I find this comment interesting.... you are perhaps a friend of Rob Krier ?

This will be ongoing for awhile. The reason the Ch. 9 crew did nothing is because they were given a gag order about it. The news director that had been at news 9 for 16 years and was fired to bring in Spessard did not butt heads with him as was stated, that relationship was going smoothly . Also there is a higher up at Griffin that does not like Dunn. When working with people, how many get along 100 % of the time ?
    This pilot did great work for 8 years at News 9 and has been treated badly. The News 9 Facebook page is censoring and deleting posts about it.... even blocking people. There is a facebook page giving the latest info called The Canary ... it is my page. I welcome hearing from anyone about it... good or bad....

10p news must still matter, it brings in the highest ratings and some of the highest ad revenue

20. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by drum4no1 View Post
    10p news must still matter, it brings in the highest ratings and some of the highest ad revenue
    10pm "news" is basically weather, sports and the crime blotter. Do any of the local TV stations have a permanent reporter at the state capitol? City hall? Local news is crime and features with "rip and read" news of any serious value. It's an entertainment product, period.

21. Default Re: KWTV Fires Mason Dunn

I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Canary View Post
    There is a Facebook page with the latest information on this. Just type in The Canary in your search box, look for the News 9 helicopter photo.
    Here's the direct link for it - http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ca...30535246972194

So you're his brother, eh? And here's what Tracey Dunn Williamson had to say about it -

After the Piedmont tornadoes, Mason had been flying for over 8 hours to cover them with no food or drink. When he got back to the station it was dark... Spessard ordered him back up. Mason said " I'm exhausted and need some rest. " Spessard snidely remarked... " You mean you can't fly for more than 8 hours ?"
    Spessard pushed Mason further, pulled him into his office... they got into a heated verbal argument and Mason was suspended for a week, then let go.
    This news director was ordering Mason back up to fly in the dark, when he was exhausted, over an area without power, which means no beacons on the towers... very dangerous...
    Mason was not given a termination letter, no reason was cited for his termination, they failed to make him sign a gag order..... which all of News 9's employees have been given over this.

Sounds to me like they Dunn goofed when they hired this Spessard turkey.

Mason is not the only casualty of war over at 9...they have fired/let go/canned/etc more than 20 people this year. Most are behind the scenes folks..A lot of the new media people, their News Director (who had been there 15+ years), Production manager, Assignment editor, etc..
    I hear more heads are on the chopping block.

i am on Mason Dun side what if something bad happen and he crash and get injured he could sue News 9 and people could stop watching them and then they get bad ratings

Quote Originally Posted by okcnuzguy View Post
    Mason is not the only casualty of war over at 9...they have fired/let go/canned/etc more than 20 people this year. Most are behind the scenes folks..A lot of the new media people, their News Director (who had been there 15+ years), Production manager, Assignment editor, etc..
    I hear more heads are on the chopping block.
    So that's what the all-new redesign of their logo and general format meant...

It's too bad. I hate to see what was arguably the best of the local network stations (despite its being the CBS affiliate) go downhill so rapidly!

Thread Information