Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City's future skyline

Default Re: Oklahoma City's future skyline

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I think Steve has a bit of a scoop on SandRidge building a new tower around 300-400 ft. Somewhat of a rumor I just read on Facebook from a person at Dolese.
    This isn't a rumor. This is something Tom Ward has been open about. He plans on building a new tower sooner rather than later. Not sure how tall, but it will be substantial.

Like I said in the past I live next door to a crane operator that works at the Devon site and he told me a few months ago that another tower was to be proposed soon!Hopefully it's something totaly different than what you guys are talking about!

3. Default Re: Oklahoma City's future skyline

Ran across this...

Smith and Gill win competition for supertall tower in China

Speaking of shattering skylines. This is in Wuhan, China.

Maybe Steve was hinting at the convention center hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Maybe Steve was hinting at the convention center hotel?
    Why would he hint about that? We all know that we will eventually be getting a high rise convention hotel...

That is my point.

Steve elaborated on his OKC Central post (in the comments section) an hour or so ago. He addresses hotel possibilities as well as office towers, and even residential. I hope his hunches are on target.

I know I am always very optimistic but to think that there could be a few of high-rises going up in the next 10 years is amazing, somewhat like the 80’s boom but hopefully better (already better with Devon) but without the final outcome.

- Devon
    - Sandridge
    - Convention Hotel
    - Preftakes?
    - Dowell?
    - I’m sure Centennial will do some kind of updates or eventually build something if there projected growth comes to be.
    - Any other private developments that will take place as spin off from Project 180 as well as all the other development

Also with all of those companies growing and building and moving downtown, there will be an even bigger need for housing which is perfect opportunity for developers to build high-rise apartments.

All wishful thinking I know but why not?

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I think Steve has a bit of a scoop on SandRidge building a new tower around 300-400 ft. Somewhat of a rumor I just read on Facebook from a person at Dolese.
    I'm the person on Facebook that mentioned that ;-) Cannot reveal the Dolese source though...

here is a copy of Hod Rod's post on skyscrapercity.com

Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
    just for fyi, SandRidge already has announced a new highrise for their campus - in addition to the new mid-rise that will be built in Kerr Park that will be their fitness and daycare center, and the retrofit/expansion of the Braniff Building.

For the life of some of us, we could not figure out why they tore down all of those buildings on the campus - because at the time they didn't say there would be replacements. but now, Tom Ward (ceo) has said they do plan to add more highrises - he didn't say how tall but I suspect something in the 20's range.

MidFirst Financial is almost a given in my opinion - given they are maxed out at their current space near the Classen/Nichols Hills area, Chesapeake has already bought everything surrounding them, except their two buildings (that are separated by a chesapeake building). Expect for a highrise to be built somewhere for MidFirst and/or at least their absorbing Devon's vacated space.

Continental Resources has purchased Mid America tower (devon's old hq) which is 320,000 sq feet. They expect all 250 employees to be there next year, and they expect to triple in size within 5 years, so they are thinking now about a new building OR absorbing all of Devon's vacated space (again, if they get it then MidFirst would need to build new or vice versa).

American Fidelity Assurance Company is based in OKC's Midtown district, in 3 buildings that I think total 300,000 square feet. They have expressed desire to come downtown, again - in Devon's vacated space and/or a new tower.

Chesapeake Energy is rumored to also desire some sort of downtown presence.

I also heard there might be a speculative Class A office tower (or more) as OKC converts class B and C space into residential and the demand for downtown grows. Who knows if or when this may happen, but I think it is highly likely just dont know the timeframe.

OKC is building a new convention center and it will have a highrise convention hotel. I dont know any specifics, but there might be more than one given what has happened in other markets.

Developer Nick Preftakes owns most of the block due west of Devon and there are rumors/plans for some sort of development, possibly residential high rise(s).

Developer Rick Dowell may also have some sort of highrise planned for NW downtown as he is trying to develop the midtown (downtown) section. NO specifics, just rumors.

So, if assuming all of the above comes true with at least one highrise, that would be eight new highrises, that haven't already been announced/rendered (this does not include the Sandridge Fitness midrise, since it was already rendered but does include the new highrise Tom Ward just announced).

There are more rumors/plans also, apparently according to others in the know. I think it is safe to say that OKC may well be coming on a building boom of some sort. Whether any will be any skyscrapers worthy of challenging Devon or the other OKC bigs, I don't know, but should make some good infill at the very least if any of it comes true.

I don't know where else to post this and I didn't want to start a new thread just for this. I read on another forum (City-Data I believe) that there was a very loose proposal going around some local Architecture Firms of a new building around the size of Devon that would call for a mixed use hotel/office. Has anybody heard anything about this and if it's true or is it just another rumor?

I don't know, but that would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    I don't know where else to post this and I didn't want to start a new thread just for this. I read on another forum (City-Data I believe) that there was a very loose proposal going around some local Architecture Firms of a new building around the size of Devon that would call for a mixed use hotel/office. Has anybody heard anything about this and if it's true or is it just another rumor?
    If anyone had any knowledge of this it would be all over this board. It would be awesome, but if there was anything even close to firm it would have leaked by now.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    If anyone had any knowledge of this it would be all over this board. It would be awesome, but if there was anything even close to firm it would have leaked by now.
    That's what I was thinking, which is why I asked cause I hadn't heard anything besides that one post. I'm just gonna play this as another rumor until I see something solid.

15. Default Re: Oklahoma City's future skyline

The concrete company working on the Devon Tower are currently having workers discussing the next plan for mega skyscraper. They know, but people on here keep brushing the info off. Just expect one very soon. Just you watch, sometime next year, there will be an announcement. We can only hope it will be higher than 844 feet.

If it truly exists...that being something beyond a rumor, you can best bet that it will be shorter than 844.

I'd applaud three new 300 foot bldgs louder than one new 900 foot bldg.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma City's future skyline

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I'd applaud three new 300 foot bldgs louder than one new 900 foot bldg.
    That will be embarrassing for OKC. Chase is much taller than 300. We are in an era where skyscrapers should be exceeding 1,000 ft every time.

I agree with Kevin Pate. I don't know why people get so hung up on height. I'd like to see more infill space taken up with construction. I'd much rather see several smaller buildings than another mammoth tower. Heck, I'd rather see five or six new ten story buildings dotting the present vacant land in the north part of downtown than another Devon Tower. I look at other downtowns and am more impressed with unbroken blocks of streetscape that add life to larger geographic areas. Thinking of Washington DC as I write this...

Actually I was thinking more of St. Louis while reading that. I agree with Kevin Pate as well, although I would like to see a few more skyscrapers around the size of Devon, maybe one or two taller, in my lifetime.

I agree more infill with smaller towers would be fine, but I'd like to see two more 600ft+ towers at some point just to balance out the skyline. Of course, buildings aren't built to balance things out, but it'd be nice.

I hope any future towers or buildings stay on the block they have and do not force a street closure.

I believe that the more complicated and difficult it is to get around a city, the worse off it is.

Appeasing a company/project and letting them close a street is nice for new construction, but in the long run is terrible.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma City's future skyline

wschnitt, its for the rotunda! The rotunda!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    I hope any future towers or buildings stay on the block they have and do not force a street closure.

I believe that the more complicated and difficult it is to get around a city, the worse off it is.

Appeasing a company/project and letting them close a street is nice for new construction, but in the long run is terrible.
    I am pretty sure the era of 'super block' is over.

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post

Considering Project 180 is funded by the Devon TIF, I will find another route and appreciate what Devon Energy is doing for the city.

Thread Information