Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City's future skyline

Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    The office tower in the Wilshire Grand redev is (a) not likely to start this year and (b) is not being built as a spec.
    It's not really relevant to this thread but the scheduled start date is in 2012. Whether that happen, who knows. I've seen no evidence of the 65 floor office building being preleased. Do you have inside information?

2. Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    So I just got back from Starbucks with Steve and Cooper Ross who did the wildly popular aerial photos of downtown... Don't worry Steve I won't spill the beans but....it's GOOD. This will be amazing... looks like I'll have a new project lined up in the near future.
    Am I understanding this correctly that Steve got ahold of the model for future skyscraper set to reveal and construct this year? And the person Steve decided to show was William? Why not just be a true reporter by spilling it all out right here, right now? Take the credit for being the first to report. Allow OKCTalk the credit to be the first public source to reveal the news? C'mon, Steve, you obviously owe us all here at OKCTalk that much by posting the renderings and details. >_<

I assume that William's use of the word, amazing, which he rarely uses do imply that its going to be taller than Devon. STEVE!!!!

3. Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

Steve, may I have an appointment with you? :-)

Skyscrapers take at least a year of planning. All this time, we've had members on here, including myself, delivering credible rumors only to be dismissed by the general public. Early last year, I shared that a friend working at Dolsee was told that the next skyscraper was in the planning, but details was vague. People on here laughed it off. Then over the months, more and more people kept coming on with similar rumors. Well, lookie, we are having another skyscraper!

I'm curious, though, how long was it when the first rumors came out about possible new skyscraper until the time Devon Tower unveiled the surprise? And how long was it since the Devon Tower unveiling until the breaking ground of construction?

Comparing all of that with Devon Tower, how is that with our next skyscraper? We know that the rumors started last year, so the time frame is at least a year of rumors circulating. How much longer until the actual announcement? And after that announcement, how long will we typically wait for construction to begin?

Pete, have you found anything suspicious on the County Assessor's website? They could have cleverly kept things hidden. There is already a model rendering out there right now that Steve and William has already seen.

From what I can remember, rumors started about Devon Tower Summer of 2007, officially announced in August of 2008, and broke ground October 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It's not really relevant to this thread but the scheduled start date is in 2012. Whether that happen, who knows. I've seen no evidence of the 65 floor office building being preleased. Do you have inside information?
    The schedule has apparently slipped (surprise, surprise). They aren't even starting the demolition of the existing hotel until June and say that will be completed in early 2013, at which time they will begin construction of the new hotel, which will be finished by 2015. No immediate plans to start construction on the office tower. There is almost zero chance construction on an office tower of that size will be done on a spec basis.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/s...9bb2963f4.html

Moreover, I would suspect we have an official announcement this year, and construction will probably begin in 2013, and last until 2015, just depending on the size of the new skyscraper.

7. Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    From what I can remember, rumors started about Devon Tower Summer of 2007, officially announced in August of 2008, and broke ground October 2009.
    You're serious?! WOW!!! Construction does not seem like it lasted more than two years!!! OMG!!! It just feels like a whole year. Dang, it never felt like time went by that fast. :-O

As for learning about Devon's new skyscraper, it felt like I first learned about that in 2010. To see you say they unveiled it in 2008 really shocks me!!! Now I'm so lost on time and how it all could just zip by like that!

So, comparing Devon to our next skyscraper, it seems that Devon moved at a much slower pace. Our next skyscraper have rumors starting last year and now we have Steve already gotten his hands/eyes on the model rendering. That is definitely really fast and that says a lot for our future skyscrapers, because we could have up to 5 new skyscrapers by the time 10 years pass on by. OKC is really on full speed ahead!

Thanks to Devon and OKC's economy, banks should not hesitate loaning millions/billions to build new skyscrapers. BancFirst executives, I'm looking at you all considering the bank is Oklahoma-based, I hope you guys (and females, if any) don't reject any future big-time loans.

One tower I noticed was the BOK yesterday (Bank of Oklahoma). Its very small according to today's standard. Lets hope that bank (they can afford it) will also build a skyscraper.

I think Devon is classified as a Skyscraper (according to SkyscraperCity), but I can't find the real term for Devon's height range. Within the next 10 years for OKC, I am betting on 3 Skyscrapers and 2 Supertalls.

Oklahoma has a lot of advantages and incentives for companies to start out, rebuild, or relocate. We should easily see companies coming from Dallas, which will leave Dallas plenty of skyscrapers for sale while new ones are constructed in OKC.

If you are right, G.Walker, we wouldn't have to wait years for someone to plan, announce, and construct anymore in OKC. It should all be fairly fast.

I know you love skyscrapers Thunder, but skyscrapers don't come easy to any city. If you do your research on skyscraper development in the U.S., most skyscrapers were built in major cities like LA, Dallas, and Houston in the 80's. Dallas is seeing its first skyscraper built over 500 feet, in 25 years. Houston just completed its first skyscraper downtown over 500 feet in 25 years! L.A. is just now starting to see proposal for new skyscrapers downtown 20 years, with exception to the L.A. Live Hotel just completed in 2010. With exception of cities like Austin, Miami, New York, and Chicago...skyscrapers are not a common development in cities. With that being said, to have two major skyscrapers completed within a 5 year span is very rare, especially for a city our size. I wouldn't expect no new skyscrapers/highrises after this next one for some time, not counting the new Sandridge Tower and CC Hotel.

Smaller cities bigger than OKC like Memphis, Louisville, Jacksonville, Phoenix, Denver, haven't seen a significant skyscraper built in decades, and what I mean by significant, I mean 500 feet plus.

10. Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

That is interesting. I don't know anything about other states, but it was always implied that OKC was the only one so behind with skyscrapers development. I'm happy to see that its not the case. :-D It looks like OKC will rival other major skyscraper-cities in a decade or two. :-D

Thunder, Steve doesn't get his paycheck from us or Pete, therefore he has no obligation to break details here. As for William, he has put in a lot of time and dedication into this website to bring US a showing quite like no other so he deserved the invite IMO. Be patient like the rest of us.

12. Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Thunder, Steve doesn't get his paycheck from us or Pete, therefore he has no obligation to break details here. As for William, he has put in a lot of time and dedication into this website to bring US a showing quite like no other so he deserved the invite IMO. Be patient like the rest of us.
    We know this, but we're still dying!!! I'm not the only one. ;-)

disregard

Please calm yourself Thunder. I think your getting a little bit ahead of yourself.. Steve is a hell of a reporter and I doubt that he is 'withholding information' due to 'favoritism'. He can't just come on here and spew information. He makes sure his statements and his stories are credible before releasing them. As it seems to me, I think we will have new tower construction soon, but for you to put Will and Steve on the spot like that is not fair. I'm almost positive that they will share the information once the timing is right. CHILL OUT MAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    That is interesting. I don't know anything about other states, but it was always implied that OKC was the only one so behind with skyscrapers development. I'm happy to see that its not the case. :-D It looks like OKC will rival other major skyscraper-cities in a decade or two. :-D
    We were lucky just to get Devon Tower, and to have another one built close to the same size would be amazing.

There are other things you can do to take your mind off the subject. Work, volunteer somewhere, walk in the middle of a street against the flow of traffic (should ease your mind off of future OKC development), lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    just watched last weeks (jan10) economic dev trust meeting ... the chamber was giving a presentation about Cameron internatinal creating 100 new jobs in OKC ..

at the end he says that he hopes to give "another pleasing anouncemnet" in a couple of weeks ...
    Who is "he"?

18. Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    just watched last weeks (jan10) economic dev trust meeting ... the chamber was giving a presentation about Cameron internatinal creating 100 new jobs in OKC ..

at the end he says that he hopes to give "another pleasing anouncemnet" in a couple of weeks ...
    Are they already in OKC? If not, I don't see how 100 new jobs warrant a massive skyscraper?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Are they already in OKC? If not, I don't see how 100 new jobs warrant a massive skyscraper?
    Basically the guy thought 100 jobs coming to OKC was pleasing news. He has more pleasing news to announce, which could be, "OKC is the official home of the taco". To someone else, that may be pleasing...

I am sure we will know sooner than later. If I remember correctly Steve new about Devon like a year before they officially announced. So Steve has probably known about this for a while, and for him to give out information to Will, must mean its coming close for official announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if its announced at the 2012 State of the City luncheon by the Mayor Cornett on Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Who is "he"?
    disregard .. i was doing other things while listening and he (wes bowen rep for Cameron was talking about cameron)

I know you love skyscrapers Thunder, but skyscrapers don't come easy to any city. If you do your research on skyscraper development in the U.S., most skyscrapers were built in major cities like LA, Dallas, and Houston in the 80's. Dallas is seeing its first skyscraper built over 500 feet, in 25 years. Houston just completed its first skyscraper downtown over 500 feet in 25 years! L.A. is just now starting to see proposal for new skyscrapers downtown 20 years, with exception to the L.A. Live Hotel just completed in 2010. With exception of cities like Austin, Miami, New York, and Chicago...skyscrapers are not a common development in cities. With that being said, to have two major skyscrapers completed within a 5 year span is very rare, especially for a city our size. I wouldn't expect no new skyscrapers/highrises after this next one for some time, not counting the new Sandridge Tower and CC Hotel.
    All true, except downtown Houston has had at least 3 new 500+ footers built in the last 15 years, plus a couple more 450+ footers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    All true, except downtown Houston has had at least 3 new 500+ footers built in the last 15 years.
    Did you wisk that off the top of your head or did you reference skyscraperpage within the last 20 minutes?

I am sure we will know sooner than later. If I remember correctly Steve new about Devon like a year before they officially announced. So Steve has probably known about this for a while, and for him to give out information to Will, must mean its coming close for official announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if its announced at the 2012 State of the City luncheon by the Mayor Cornett on Thursday!
    People on this site knew about the Devon rumors a year before it was announced, it wasn't exactly a surprise. Only the scope of the project was.

25. Default Re: Steve's prognosis for 2012

Lets start talking about the new skyscraper. Where will it be the location? Somewhere already flat or to lose a structure?

Thread Information