Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mideke Building

1. Default Re: Mideke Building

That was two owners ago. I'm sure the owner enjoyed the revenue when that was (practically) the only thing in the building, but to have a long-term first-rate tenant for the upper floors - who will probably help lure a first-rate ground floor tenant or tenants to replace most if not all of the first-floor revenue - is a no-brainer. You go with the full building.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mideke Building

Good point of course.

I guess the demise of dance clubs is part of the maturation of a neighborhood from an emerging entertainment district to a truly mixed use district. Dance clubs are an important part of a city's nightlife scene, but they are also NIMBY and don't work well in a mature, gentrified neighborhood with the exception of the upscale and exclusive ones. Hopefully Bricktown will be able to retain ones like Club One15.

Night clubs are hard on buildings and other tenants. City Walk has had its share of problems the last few years.

I understood that the City Walk people are the ones that opened Candy (I'm not positive on that) and had shifted their main focus to that. City Walk was only going to be around until the end of their lease anyway

The City Walk people are being compensated with a buyout. It might be a win-win for both parties

With the hotel coming opening soon and now this, its probably time for that corner to move away from a night club. I don't think Coco Flow will have any issues staying

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I guess the demise of dance clubs is part of the maturation of a neighborhood from an emerging entertainment district to a truly mixed use district. Dance clubs are an important part of a city's nightlife scene, but they are also NIMBY and don't work well in a mature, gentrified neighborhood with the exception of the upscale and exclusive ones. Hopefully Bricktown will be able to retain ones like Club One15.
    My observation is that they don't work well massed together. Nightclubs help add time-diversity to any neighborhood but problems seem to start when a neighborhood has more than 1. This is what Bricktown is experiencing now as it transition from Bricktown Entertainment District to Bricktown Neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    My observation is that they don't work well massed together. Nightclubs help add time-diversity to any neighborhood but problems seem to start when a neighborhood has more than 1. This is what Bricktown is experiencing now as it transition from Bricktown Entertainment District to Bricktown Neighborhood.
    What? There is only one residential project going on here, am I correct? Also, Bricktown still is an entertainment district seeing as the majority of its venues are to entertain and feed people

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the area across the street from the new Hilton Garden Inn (Club Albee, Wormy Dog, Candy) once the Steelyard apartments are built and more life is brought to eastern area of BT. I would love to see more of Tapwerks and Club One15 than dance clubs personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What? There is only one residential project going on here, am I correct? Also, Bricktown still is an entertainment district seeing as the majority of its venues are to entertain and feed people
    As the neighborhood matures, it will become more mixed use. We are seeing the beginning stages of that now. It will be bad for certain types of nightlife but overall good for the district, creating increased vibrancy and traffic during more hours of the day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Everybody forgets the Centennial...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Night clubs are hard on buildings and other tenants. City Walk has had its share of problems the last few years.

I understood that the City Walk people are the ones that opened Candy (I'm not positive on that) and had shifted their main focus to that. City Walk was only going to be around until the end of their lease anyway

The City Walk people are being compensated with a buyout. It might be a win-win for both parties

With the hotel coming opening soon and now this, its probably time for that corner to move away from a night club. I don't think Coco Flow will have any issues staying

Thank you for the update. I didn't know all these details. Makes tons of sense.

I guess all of this might explain why there was a push to build a parking garage on the old railroad tracks a few months ago. I wonder what the status is on that project proposal?

Quote Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
    I guess all of this might explain why there was a push to build a parking garage on the old railroad tracks a few months ago. I wonder what the status is on that project proposal?
    It's still in the works.

It's an active project between Don Karchmer and the Economic Development trust, they are just trying to figure out how to work around preserving future rail right-of-way.

I think it's still going to happen. All of downtown is desperate for parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Coco Flow is there now and is open 10-10.

There has also been some talk about a Brazilian steakhouse.
    Texas de Brazil?

14. Default Re: Mideke Building

Pete, has there been any discussion about the adjoining (and connected) low building on Main? It is currently a part of City Walk, and I assume a part of this development. You could place a pretty large restaurant in it; in fact I recall a restaurant was in there for a short time in the nineties but can't recall what it was.

I can't say I am thrilled with the glass façade on the east side. I would prefer they just make the east side look like the west side. I'm also going to ding them for a lack of sidewalk awnings. So with that in mind - it gets 4.25 stars (out of 5) on the JTF scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Texas de Brazil?
    Texas De Brazil has announced it will go into Penn Square Mall. Not sure they would open a second location in BT this soon, but I could be wrong.

I'd rather have a Fogo de Chao.

18. Default Re: Mideke Building

^^^^^

Totally agree. I'm not pining for more (or any) chains to move in, but I do love Fogo de Chao and it would make a nice upscale-ish addition to downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I can't say I am thrilled with the glass façade on the east side. I would prefer they just make the east side look like the west side. I'm also going to ding them for a lack of sidewalk awnings. So with that in mind - it gets 4.25 stars (out of 5) on the JTF scale.
    I agree about the facade. The glass on the Braniff works because the CBD has a lot of glass, and it just really works well.

Bricktown doesn't have that mixture of architecture styles, and I don't think this style really works in this area.

These are hi-res renderings from Rogers Partners website.

Shows the small building to the east will be included:

21. Default Re: Mideke Building

I've gotta say I like that glass wall on the east. They are removing bricks from inside of each bay and exposing and highlighting the skeleton of the structure rather than removing a full brick veneer. I know it is a subtle difference, but I would have been more troubled if it were a full brick veneer being removed. Worst-case scenario from an HP standpoint is that the bays could be bricked back in if there ever was a desire to return to the historic, and it solves a real problem for them related to (lack of) light. It is also without question a tertiary façade, with the primary and secondary remaining fully intact. Don't remember if they were still pursuing historic tax credits, so not sure if this would cause a problem or not. I'm super-excited about this project.

Right, that east facade is nothing nice or detailed and the glass is a great way to open things up, expose the structure, and bring in light.

The Braniff Building has demonstrated this combination of brick plus modern can be pretty stunning.

The glass curtainwall on an old building is much more palatable when they retain most of the original structure and apply the modern design away from the building front.

Bricktown is also becoming as much office as restaurant/entertainment. This, the Plow, Advanced Academics, the Zio's bldg, Long Wave, Sonic, the architecture firm on Main, ACOG, Standley, and the building across Main from there.

Since all of that - how much housing has been added to the mix?

24. Default Re: Mideke Building

Very little. The biggest gaping hole in Bricktown's growth without a doubt. That's why The Steelyard is so important.

Regarding the Brazilian steakhouse, my understanding is that they had a letter of intent with Texas de Brazil. Don't know what happened but now that TdB has announced they are going to Penn Square Mall, it's pretty certain they won't open in the Mideke as well. They typically only open one location in a market, even in much bigger cities like Houston and San Antonio.

I believe Coco Flow will stay but the rest of the ground floor of both the main and small building to the east will be leased for retail/restaurant. Between the two, there is a lot of space on the ground level.

Thread Information