Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dick's Sporting Goods

Default Re: Dick's Sporting Goods

Quote Originally Posted by demoman View Post
    I had heard at one point Cabela's wanted to come to OKC but was told since Bass Pro was already here. They weren't interested. If this is so, Edmond and surrounding cities need to take note of this and capitolize on it. Would be good to have both Bass Pro and Cabela's in town.
    Cabelas was rumored to go on the east side of I35 in Moore a few years back before the economy tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    There have been rumors that there was a Dick's sporting goods heading for the remodeled Brookwood shopping center at SW 89th and Western. Now, I'll immediately caveat that by saying that rumor had started (at least from one angle) by virtue of an artist's rendering of the remodeled mall that included a "Dick's" sign over one of the shops, which was clearly a conjectural rendering...
    Long before that, there was an actual rendering and plan to put one at Memorial and Western. There is an old old thread on here with rendering and tenant list somewhere. Then the economy tanked and it fell through.

Default Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods has been in OKC for almost a couple years now, and was wondering, have you shopped there and if so, how has your experience been?

I was very excited when they first opened the locations but after shopping there I've been disappointed and remain an Academy shopper.

They offer way too much yuppie apparel and high end stuff most ordinary people don't want or need - each time I go in there I feel like the place is where people go to shop who try to pick up other people at the gym.

I have bought an Olympic weight set there and I've been very happy with it but to date that's all I've purchased. I've gone in a few other times only to be informed that they don't carry the stuff they have on their website.

Dick's recently fired all of their PGA professionals, and that's a shame, many very knowledgable Golf people are out of work

It sounds like you are one of them - im sorry to hear that.

Here is some honest advice for the store. There are certain areas in OKC that really nice golf attire and top of the line equipment would be ideal - basically up north. The rest of the town really isnt into golf as a whole and the people who live in those other areas treat golf as an occasional treat and dont need/want pro equipment. As a whole they (west, east, south) are more into boating, hunting, fishing, bbq, camping, tailgating, etc.

For many golf is something to do with your buddys to get away from your wife/kids for a few hours and the only score that is important is beating your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ylouder View Post
    I was very excited when they first opened the locations but after shopping there I've been disappointed and remain an Academy shopper.

They offer way too much yuppie apparel and high end stuff most ordinary people don't want or need - each time I go in there I feel like the place is where people go to shop who try to pick up other people at the gym.

I have bought an Olympic weight set there and I've been very happy with it but to date that's all I've purchased. I've gone in a few other times only to be informed that they don't carry the stuff they have on their website.
    This is why OKC does not get high end retail. the disposable, income and/or attitudes towards spending on items that are not necessities is not there. OKC is not a big golf city, weather to variable and relatively small population of people with the money golf requires.

Saw that the location in Midwest City has suddenly closed. They were taking down the sign and carrying boxes out. Any idea what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Saw that the location in Midwest City has suddenly closed. They were taking down the sign and carrying boxes out. Any idea what happened?
    There was a lease dispute.
    https://www.centraloklahomaweeklies....st-city-store/

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill_1961 View Post
    Yeah, the in-house real estate attorneys for DSG do not play.

Decent enough company, but would be a very tough tenant to have on your rent rolls.

OKC to get massive House of Sport

The retail boom continues in Oklahoma City as plans have been filed for a huge new Dick’s House of Sport.

House of Sport is a completely new concept by Dick’s Sporting Goods and will be more than twice the size of its existing stores, with two levels and 115,000 square feet.

The new store will be located on N. Pennsylvania just south of Memorial Road/Kilpatrick Turnpike.

There is an existing Dick’s at 14200 N. Penn and it’s expected that location will close when House of Sport opens for business.

From a press release: “DICK’S House of Sport explores the future of retail through multi-sport experiences inside and outside the store, broad integration with the community, elevated customer service and enhanced technology. The store features a 17,000-square-foot outdoor turf field and running track, a rock-climbing wall, a batting cage with HitTrax™ technology, golf hitting bays with TrackMan™ simulators, a putting green, the company’s first-ever “House of Cleats” that will seasonally rotate product, a health and wellness destination to help customers with recovery and well-being, and a consolidated service area for breaking in gloves, stringing lacrosse sticks and building/repairing bikes.”

The new OKC store will be one of the first of the new larger Dick’s in the country.

I mean sure, why not? It just means there will be a huge vacant big box six blocks away. Would have preferred them to remodel their current store but maybe that’s hard to do. It’s the “throw away retail” culture. But having one is better than not having one, I suppose.

So many empty spaces along memorial now. Can we please get a Wholefoods or Trader Joe’s in one of them??

This is great! I love the House of Sport stores! I don't think there was enough space at the store .5 miles north to renovate and add 50,000 sq. feet. Either way, this is a great investment in the city by Dick's.

Every time I go by the Dick's on Reno/3rd street there are usually less than 10 cars in their parking lot . I often wonder how they make enough to pay the staff and the building overhead. I've been in there once just to look around and didn't buy anything.

OHhh the traffic is just going to be awful complain complain whine whine whine lol lol lol

Wasn't that lot a proposed WinCo that never got developed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    nah. believe that was slated to be north of memorial, east of penn, and west of the North Church.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yes it was.

Not sure what April is referring to, but yes, WinCo was supposed to go here.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Yes it was.

Not sure what April is referring to, but yes, WinCo was supposed to go here.
    Would have really liked the Winco. It would be nice to see a grocery store move into the "old" Dick's space north of Memorial. That shopping center is fairly new in the Quail Springs of things, only about 10 years old. Wouldn't be surprised if JackBe aggressively expands to get the apartment crowd at Penn and Memorial in this space.

You could also see a TJ Maxx in this spot with Marshalls and Ross near by to complete the trifecta of identical stores operated by the same parent company.

Pretty cool concept. I hope that this, along with the other major development happening in the area, will spur some real bicycling infrastructure in this part of town.

Blog Entries

This store looks just like one from the old Galyan's chain that Dick's bought out and closed some 20 years ago. Back to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    So many empty spaces along memorial now. Can we please get a Wholefoods or Trader Joe’s in one of them??
    The parking lots on Memorial are too big for a Trader Joe's.

This is pretty exciting for OKC. I was recently in a Scheel's in Colorado Springs and this House of Sport seems like a direct competition response. Good for OKC, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This store looks just like one from the old Galyan's chain that Dick's bought out and closed some 20 years ago. Back to the future.
    Thank you! I was trying to remember the name of that place. I remember the one that opened at the Stonebriar Mall in Frisco, TX about the time that town got too big for me, but couldn't recall the name. That's EXACTLY what this reminds me of.

Thread Information