Widgets Magazine

Thread: Construction on I-35?

Default Construction on I-35?

I thought that construction on I-35 is over? I when I saw construction is going on and been stuck in traffic for 10 minutes making me late for work, I hope it is over soon!

Default Re: Construction on I-35?

I-35 is a long interstate. Where exactly are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    I-35 is a long interstate. Where exactly are you talking about?
    The one near to the State Capitol and Bricktown

so you mean I-235?

It shouldn't last long just a concrete rehabilitation project that takes place from 7 to 6 at night. There's also some I-40 crosstown construction that can lead to lane and ramp closures in that area.

I-40 off-ramp closes, I-35 narrows to one lane this week
    North and Southbound I-35 will be narrowed to one lane between I-40 and S.E. 15th St, and the eastbound I-40 off-ramp to southbound I-35 will be closed nightly from 7 p.m to 6 a.m. Tuesday night through Sunday for surface repairs.
    ODOT

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    so you mean I-235?
    Yeah

If I remember correctly new I-35 construction will be taking place after football season in Norman.
    This will cause a major bottle neck during peak travel times.

I really wish there were 2 more bridges over the river in the Norman area. One west of town and another south of town.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I thought that construction on I-35 is over? I when I saw construction is going on and been stuck in traffic for 10 minutes making me late for work, I hope it is over soon!
    They are going to be doing a lot of work on the interchanges; the i40/i235/i35 has only recently begun the work to connect to the new i40 (should be done by 2014) and reconfiguring the i235/i44 interchange along with making the section just south of it six lanes as well (probably a decade before that work is complete). If you saw anything about the work being done it was the phases, not the entire project.

As someone familiar with I-35 in North Texas, let me tell you... the headaches in Norman, Moore, OKC, and points northward now are nothing compared to what they could be if nothing were to happen for another 20 or 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    Like Walt Disney said about Disneyland, construction on I-35 will never be finished

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Like Walt Disney said about Disneyland, construction on I-35 will never be finished
    Nothing lasts forever. For Oklahoma (or any state) owning I-35 is like owning a house. Even if you aren't doing renovations stuff breaks, wears out or gets damaged. This gets magnified when you think about all of the 80,000 lb semi's pounding away at the interstate. There will always be construction on I-35 even if it ever is "finished".

13. Default Re: Construction on I-35?

I don't see how semi-trucks can destroy the highways. They roll over, not pound them.

The weight is still being pushed down, normally onto 18 load points (tires). This frequent repetitive force being exerted downward onto the concrete weakens it over time, and eventually causes it to fail. It only takes a small crack to open, and go untreated, for it to cause to greater fractures. Crack is open, next 18-wheeler passes over, exerts it's load over the crack, causing it to fail in more areas around the crack, which leads to more cracks, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't see how semi-trucks can destroy the highways. They roll over, not pound them.
    Thunder haven't you ever noticed how driveways in older homes whether they are concrete or asphalt can gradually start breaking up. And even though they aren't designed for highway traffic they get very little in the way of pounding. Nothing is designed to last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    Nothing lasts forever. For Oklahoma (or any state) owning I-35 is like owning a house. Even if you aren't doing renovations stuff breaks, wears out or gets damaged. This gets magnified when you think about all of the 80,000 lb semi's pounding away at the interstate. There will always be construction on I-35 even if it ever is "finished".
    I agree and it wasn't a slam (sorry if it came across that way)

17. Default Re: Construction on I-35?

If you ever wondered about that...check out the difference in the quality of the road surface on a strech of interstate outside of the city. The #1 lane will almost always be in better condition. why? Because semi's travel in the #2 lane and cars pass them in the #1 lane. More heavy traffic = faster wear.

You'll also notice that asphalt isn't being used very much on new interstate construction in OK anymore. With oil at the price it is, the price point isn't as low as it once was, so concrete is a better choice. Especially now that we can shave the surface off of it and make it last even longer (thank an Oklahoma company for that process).

But like mentioned earlier...it's never done. Once you finish the last section, the first section is ready to be worked on again.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I agree and it wasn't a slam (sorry if it came across that way)
    Nothing to apologize for, so no worries! I was just trying to show a different perspective on road construction.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    The weight is still being pushed down, normally onto 18 load points (tires). This frequent repetitive force being exerted downward onto the concrete weakens it over time, and eventually causes it to fail. It only takes a small crack to open, and go untreated, for it to cause to greater fractures. Crack is open, next 18-wheeler passes over, exerts it's load over the crack, causing it to fail in more areas around the crack, which leads to more cracks, and so on.
    This + water that freezes and thaws can cause great amounts of road destruction.
    This is one more reason why it’s so important to plow snow off the roads.

Thread Information