Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Westbrook

Default Keeping Westbrook

Now that the season is over, the big question will the Thunder offer Westbrook a contract, or will he want to stay in OKC? Westbrook can be traded next season...

2. Default Re: Keeping Westbrook

He has a major attitude problem and not the example we want for the children. Its hard to say to keep him or not.

Default Re: Keeping Westbrook

I can't imagine the Thunder trading an all-star player like Westbrook. He is an asset, just needs to grow up a little. Are you all forgetting about the game he played last night?

Westbrook needs to do two things - get the temper under control and pass the ball more. He should not have more missed shots than assists (by 2:1 I might add). I thought it was interesting that the had Westbrook and Maynor on the floor at the same time last night. WB was able to score some easy backdoor layups with that line-up. I think we have all the right players, we just need to work on the line-up.

He can not be traded until after next season. All this talk about him going to LA is redonkulous. Do you think aging Kobe is going to sit back and let Russell do all the work? Heck no! He's gonna want that rock and that's not going to work when you have RW0 on the floor at the same time. Now if Russell did go elsewhere, I know of a guy named CP3 that would love to play on the hardwood here.

I learned last night that Russell and "Fear the Beard" DO NOT like each other. That's why they hardly pass the ball to each other when they're on the floor. We could possibly be worse next year if Harden starts and they can't get past liking each other. I think Harden has earned it though, and I'm absolutely a fan of his. I just hope no one criticizes him like Westbrook when he becomes a regular starter.

Westbrook sure is a magnet for criticism, for a player who has been wildly more successful than anyone even gave him a chance of being. He's young. I don't think he has an "attitude" I think sometimes he pouts, and maybe he doesn't communicate very well--but his attitude is nowhere near the level of many basket-case NBA players. He's just an emotional guy, and I think that's part of why he's so successful as a player. Russ can do a lot of things on the floor, and he tries to do to much--but sometimes he really does carry the team on his back, and he gets no credit for that. It's not all KD on this roster, you know.

I like the guy, and I'm a big fan... but if you start talking about scenarios that could bring CP3 back where he belongs, well... hard to argue with that. We need a championship in OKC--something this state hasn't won (in a major sport, sorry OSU) since 2000.

Great season and a lot of it was due to Westbrook...Dude is young and will learn to pass more and control the temper

Hope we do keep him as he will get better in each of the next 5 seasons

8. Default Re: Keeping Westbrook

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    He can not be traded until after next season.
    Westbrook can be traded anytime. He can't leave of his own choice until after next season.

I learned last night that Russell and "Fear the Beard" DO NOT like each other. That's why they hardly pass the ball to each other when they're on the floor. We could possibly be worse next year if Harden starts and they can't get past liking each other. I think Harden has earned it though, and I'm absolutely a fan of his.
    Harden has become one of my favorites. I don't see him starting next year. Remember, basketball isn't lfootballtbal. You don't put all your best players on the floor at the start. You need really good players coming off the bench. This is what Harden does best. Also, I don't know how much to put into "This player doesn't like that one". According to a lot of rumors Westbrook and Durant don't like each other either. I don't buy much of it.

Understandably, I wasn't comparing the Thunder players to your OU football squad... since that has nothing to do with the NBA. As for Westbrooks contract, I gotcha there. He still can't go anywhere cause OKC isn't going to trade him! ;-)

The only reason to trade Westbrook is if he tells management he won't resign. Otherwise, we'd be fools to let someone with his heart and talent go.

11. Default Re: Keeping Westbrook

Understandably, I wasn't comparing the Thunder players to your OU football squad... since that has nothing to do with the NBA. As for Westbrooks contract, I gotcha there. He still can't go anywhere cause OKC isn't going to trade him! ;-)
    I agree he won't be. But you said he can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Now that the season is over, the big question will the Thunder offer Westbrook a contract, or will he want to stay in OKC? Westbrook can be traded next season...
    Of course we will offer a contract. Westbrook has drawn way too much criticism this playoffs. People forget he was 2nd team All NBA. Pretty dang good for a 3rd year guy who most said couldnt be a point guard. If we really want to look at who shouldnt get an extension we should take a look at coach Brooks. Coaching is what let us down.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Of course we will offer a contract. Westbrook has drawn way too much criticism this playoffs. People forget he was 2nd team All NBA. Pretty dang good for a 3rd year guy who most said couldnt be a point guard. If we really want to look at who shouldnt get an extension we should take a look at coach Brooks. Coaching is what let us down.
    I was totally with you until you said coaching let us down. How did anyone let us down? Are you saying the Thunder SHOULD be in the NBA Finals? Let's not forget how much incredible progress this team has made in JUST TWO YEARS. If you ask me, looking at this team, and its leaders (KD, Russ, Scottie), I wouldn't change a single thing.

I agree Spartan. Coach Brooks has as much head coaching experience as our younger players have NBA experience. If he can learn from mistakes we'll find out next year. If he cannot, then perhaps we do need to think about another coach, but it's far too early to assume he's not low on the learning curve like our players. I'm so very impressed with what they all accomplished this year.

Definitely, betts. How could anyone not be impressed? If it aint broke, don't fix it... (in case anyone was wondering if I was from Oklahoma lol)

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The only reason to trade Westbrook is if he tells management he won't resign. Otherwise, we'd be fools to let someone with his heart and talent go.
    Exactly. He's only going to get better.

I completely agree. The only thing our team needs is more experience, and they're getting more of that every day.

Rose choked late in the game with a turnover, missed shot and free throw

Wonder if Bulls fans are hating on him as well?

What I would ask anyone who wants to trade Westbrook is: How would you feel about facing him as an opponent in games, especially after a few more years experience? If the thought sends chills up your spine like it does mine, then the answer is obvious.

Westbrook and CP3 both can be traded next year, by trade deadline in Feb of 2012. Westbrook for Chris Paul? Who would be a better fit for the Thunder? The key phrase is "better fit" I didn't say better player. Me, I will take Chris Paul. Interesting fact, the only game we won against Dallas was the game where Westbrook took less shots, and had fewest points, go figure. Don't get me wrong Westbrook is a great player, and has a bright future, but I don't think he is a good fit for OKC's offense. We need a true PG like CP3.

I would take the Memphis game 7 Westbrook over any PG in the league

Actually, trading Westbrook for CP3 actually can come to fruition. There have been massive talks about it lately, you just have to Google it, lol...I know people love the Thunder and get attached to players, but wake up Oklahoma City, this is the NBA, I say trade Westbrook for Chris Paul. Paul has more experience and can distribute the ball crazy! Just what we need!

Get rid of Westbrook? Get real...

Dude's done nothing except get better every year. Does he still have room for improvement? Yes. Think about that for a minute. Russ is a 22-year-old All-Star, second-team All-NBA point guard who helped his team make it to the conference finals and he's nowhere near being a "finished" product?

I've complained about the offense as much as anyone. Sometimes Westbrook calls his own number a little too much, sometimes he doesn't have any other option because the defense has the only other scorer (KD) covered. How you can draw a conclusion that Westbrook and Harden don't like each other is beyond me. Are there times when Harden's on the floor with Westbrook and Durant that he gets ignored? Yeah. They're not used to having him out there. It sure looked like they hated each other in Game 5 (note high level of sarcasm).

Yes, you resign Westbrook as quickly as you can.

Westbrook is a great player, but he is playing on pure talent right now. When he learns how to play basketball, then he will be unstoppable. CP3 is a better fit for the Thunder, not saying the Westbrook is not a good player, just think CP3 is a better fit.

They showed the OKC locker room before game 5 and WB was playing on an ipad. Harden was 5 inches away from him and they were "shooting the sh..". Sure looked like they hated each other.

Thread Information