Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ingrid's Kitchen

Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

You had me at rubens and german potato salad.... Love both of those.

Ingrid's is outstanding!

Think I'll give it a try this week. I've been craving a reuben and tater salad since it was mentioned.

Default Re: Ingrid's Kitchen

So, we actually made it to Ingrid's on a Saturday afternoon. The parking lot was 99.9% occupied and the ordering line was long and slow. There was even a guy in line, ahead of the one couple in front of me, at the ordering register, who spent about five minutes trying to convince the fellow taking orders and money that he had to have a slice of apricot pie--which wasn't available on this particular day. Sounds like a bad experience, right? Au contraire: It was a WONDERFUL experience. And here's why: The Band that plays there every Saturday from noon until two. These guys are GREAT!!! Total professionals. It was like having a ring-side seat in a recording studio. One guy played saxophone, clarinet, mandolin and banjo. One guy played the piano. One guy played a stand-up bass. One guy played drums (consisting only of a snare, a bass, two cymbals and a high-hat). When we walked in the door, they were playing Night and Day by Cole Porter and playing it just as good as any recording of the tune I've ever listened to and the tunes just kept on coming, non-stop.

People--some of whom were probably born back in the 20's--were dancing, gracefully, to the music. One sweet lady was on the dance floor with her walker as a partner. It was a celebration of "the good life" unlike any that I've witnessed, personally, before. And apparently this has been going on every Saturday for decades.

Oh, almost forgot about the food! My wife, who had staked out a spot near the band, had me order a Reuben sandwich for her and I got some smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese and capers. She let me have a taste of her Reuben and if it wasn't the best version of that delight I've ever had, it was in the top two. My "salmon bagel" was delightful and accompanied by some sweet red onion, a pickle and some sliced tomatoes that actually tasted like tomatoes. We sat there listening to the band and engaging in some conversation with the former strangers who shared the table with us, as well as the nice lady making the circuit of the room with the Tip Vase. Before they left, the people next to us at the table, gave my wife and I cookie from the dozen they had purchased. How nice is that? After a while, my wife said that she just had to have a piece of pie and returned to the table with a slice of what has to be the best blueberry pie I have ever eaten.

All in all, the experience was a little slice of heaven and I bought a bag of their fabulous dinner rolls to take home as a reminder.

I have an unheard of Saturday off, again next week. Guess what is on my agenda for lunch.
    Did I mention that our own Prunepicker is in the band? I have now. =)

RadicalModerate, you are so right! Ingrid's is simply MAGICAL on Saturday afternoons. The last time I was in there, I saw a very elderly couple on the dance floor with several others, dancing beautifully. Never mind that he was very tall and slightly stoop-shouldered, and she was barely five feet tall and tiny. I got a lump in my throat as I watched them, thinking of my own precious parents who crossed over within the last five years. The cashier noticed that I was watching them. As she handed me my dozen thumbprint cookies, she said, "Aren't they precious? They're here every Saturday!"

From the Gazette:

Contrary to what you might have heard, the classic Ingrid’s Kitchen is not moving. In far more exciting news, it is opening a third location in the metro. Lee Burris and his crew are now readying the space at 6501 N. May Ave. and plan to open within the next few weeks. The new location will offer Ingrid’s full range of baked goods as well as deli items and will serve as the commissary for the other locations.

There will be seating space for a leisurely lunch, or you can call ahead and take the sweets and breads with you. Burris and his crew are also more than willing to do custom orders on cakes and treats if you give them a call.

The Ingrid’s Kitchen location at 3501 N. Youngs Blvd. will continue to be the only location that serves one of the best brunches in town, complete with mimosas and a dessert table that will leave you reaching for the insulin.

HangryHippo Guest

I wasn't aware there was a second Ingrid's somewhere. Where is the second location?

Council and 23rd

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Council and 23rd
    Hmm, had no idea, thanks Teo.

10. Default Re: Ingrid's Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a second Ingrid's somewhere. Where is the second location?
    I believe it is also called Ingrid's Pantry rather than Kitchen.

I would go more often if I could stay away from the Pastries and Bagels. I have never had a bad meal there. I also did not know there was a second location.

i'm pretty sure that second location used to be a place called oma's pantry. -M

That is true. It used to be Oma's pantry and had some of the best sandwiches in town.

14. Default Re: Ingrid's Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm pretty sure that second location used to be a place called oma's pantry. -M
    Yep

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Favorites at Ingrid's

I play at Ingrid's every Saturday from Noon to 2pm. There's dancing, too.
    Lots of fun. We take requests but continue to play any way.

The food is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I play at Ingrid's every Saturday from Noon to 2pm. There's dancing, too.
    Lots of fun. We take requests but continue to play any way.

The food is very good.
    Stop with all the hype and the excuses already . . . (oy vey)
    It isn't even good enough already to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff? =)

ps: well played at very end of the fourth phrase, above. =)
    the fifth phrase is right on target.

as if I'm a bass player . . . =)

Saw an ad in the paper that Ingrid's is for sale (both locations)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Saw an ad in the paper that Ingrid's is for sale (both locations)
    Oh no!

It's an institution and one of the few places I can walk to from my house.

Are they trying to see the business or just real estate? Even if it is the business that almost never works out.

Here is the ad:

I fear what this might mean, but I wonder if it explains recent events. Family gets a pie or two from there every Thanksgiving and Christmas, and long story short, the service at pickup for both holidays this year could have been better. The food (including the pies) has still been amazing, but I wonder if not having the correct pies at the appointed time (ordered well in advance) is because they just don't care any more, and just want out? I don't know if they're still doing pickups today, but if they are and anyone is picking up today, check your order before leaving. I mean, one time was a mistake, the second time was a trend.

That said, didn't this happen once before though? Ingrid's was almost gone, but someone swept in and bought the place? Hopefully they can find a new owner that will continue things as they are.

Hate to say this but when they bought the bake shop on North May a few years ago it went downhill fast.

I hear the Fuze ownership team is interested

Blog Entries

Too soon

Ingrid’s Kitchen is for sale

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record April 6, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Lee Burrus is ready to retire.

Burrus is the owner of Ingrid’s, a German restaurant and bakery with two locations. In 2001, he bought the eatery from its namesake, Ingrid Simon.

He said he’s thought about leaving the business within the last year. His looming departure means both restaurants are for sale. The sale includes all the restaurant equipment and the recipes.

Ingrid’s has two locations, 3701 N. Youngs Blvd. and 6501 N. May Ave. Those buildings are not for sale. They are owned by two different owners.

Re/Max Platinum Agent Jason Mann is handling the restaurants’ sale. He said he’s received a lot of inquiries about the buildings.

Ingrid’s is a subsidiary of Bakeries Unlimited. Mann is the chief operations director for the larger company, which invests in other restaurants. He said Ingrid’s is the main money-making operation, which helps fuel more investments.

Mann’s background is in restaurant investment. Fresh out of college, he was hired by Spaghetti Works Corp. to oversee the company’s investments. He then worked for NAI Progress West, where he continued to advise restaurant clients on their investments and improving their own operations.

He said with the Ingrid’s sale, the goal is to get a new owner in place by this summer so the next operator will be ready to take on the busy holiday season. Burrus is willing to stay and consult if needed for the first holiday season.

“It’s overwhelming, even for a seasoned person to come into a new enterprise and make it work,” Mann said.

The new owner can bring their own flair to the operation, he said.

“It will be their dog-and-pony show,” he said. “They can do how they want.”

Ingrid’s Kitchen has been a part of Oklahoma City since the 1970s. Simon grew up in East Berlin and escaped to West Berlin when she was 15 years old. She first moved to Kansas City, where she became a dental hygienist. She made her way to Oklahoma City, where she bought the Dutch Treat restaurant in the Mayfair Shopping Center.

She bought bread from Irene’s Bakery to offer in her Dutch Treats shop. Irene’s was operated by Jack and Irene Siegel. Shortly before he closed Irene’s, Jack Siegel taught Simon to bake the bread, using Irene Siegel’s recipes.

Dutch Treats merged with Irene’s, and Ingrid’s Kitchen was born. She opened Ingrid’s Kitchen in downtown Oklahoma City, and a small shop in the shopping center on Youngs Boulevard.

In 1991, after making it through bankruptcy and a fire, she expanded into the large space where Ingrid’s is now. The N. May store opened in 2014.

Burrus said it hasn’t really hit him that he’ll be leaving the business. He merged his catering company, Lee’s Gourmet To Go, with Ingrid’s when he took over the operation.

“I keep wondering how it will feel on the day I turn the keys over,” he said.

My wife mentioned the pending sale to me last night. Ingrid's is one of our favorite restaurants and we've been going there for years. It's a place where you could close your eyes, drop your finger down on the menu and pick a winner every time. I just hope that someone with the same commitment to excellence picks up where Lee Burrus leaves off. If not, Oklahoma City will have lost a classic, world class, one-of-a-kind establishment.

Thread Information