Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ingrid's Kitchen

1. Default High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

My newspaper staff and I went over to Ingrid's for lunch a couple of weeks ago. Most of the staff had never even had German food. Not only was it funny to watch them waffle over their menu choices (seriously, I think it took them 15 minutes to decide on a sandwich), it was funny to watch them try and choose a dessert!

Here's the review: http://my.hsj.org/497506

Thanks to Ingrid's for letting us come out and review them!
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

thanks good job

3. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

Thanks! That Napoleon I had was so worth the calories.

4. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

I was on my high school newspaper staff (Pirate Log, PCHS, class of '89, Sam Effinger - teacher). Wish we'd had field trips to do restaurant reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I was on my high school newspaper staff (Pirate Log, PCHS, class of '89, Sam Effinger - teacher). Wish we'd had field trips to do restaurant reviews.
    Sam Effinger!?! He was the yearbook adviser at Moore High School back in my old stomping days. I was on the newspaper staff then (ahh, journalism, the road not taken...), but he was well known for orchestrating a slew of award-winning yearbooks at MHS during my time there and in the few years before....

6. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

We like to try new things We'll be going to Mutt's soon.

7. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    We like to try new things We'll be going to Mutt's soon.
    Have you taken them to the new S&B's - they could have some fun reviews with the quirky sliders that are offered there.

8. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

Have you taken them to the new S&B's - they could have some fun reviews with the quirky sliders that are offered there.
    Tried, couldn't sell them for some reason. They're a fairly indecisive group. I'm hoping that next year I'll have a more "go-getter" group than I have now so we can do more things like this, and more often!

9. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

Sam Effinger was great. I did yearbook stuff too. Yes, he was known to win the awards. He went to bat for me a couple of times in high school. I used to take out full page ads in the school paper offering my own senior shirts that I printed. The school wanted me banned from doing it but Sam Effinger told them no way. Good times! I wrote some, but was mostly the editorial cartoonist and layout.

The next time that I make "Schnitzel"--at home, with Rotkhol and Potato Salat ala Deutscland on the side--I will be scouring the aisles of both Whole Foods and Sunflower Market for "green peepers".

I will expect to pay more for the organic ones.

All kidding aside: Kudos for being an engaged Teacher/Instructor of the Kiddoz.
    (Really: No kidding. =)

11. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    The next time that I make "Schnitzel"--at home, with Rotkhol and Potato Salat ala Deutscland on the side--I will be scouring the aisles of both Whole Foods and Sunflower Market for "green peepers".

I will expect to pay more for the organic ones.

All kidding aside: Kudos for being an engaged Teacher/Instructor of the Kiddoz.
    (Really: No kidding. =)
    Thanks for the correction! Spellcheck doesn't catch everything, and neither do my often tired eyes :P Peepers are now peppers. That's what I love about the online site -- we can make corrections whenever we want, even at 6am from home!

And thanks, RM, I try to be an engaged instructor as much as I humanly can.

Last night, due to road construction and traffic, southbound on Penn, I missed my turn onto 50th St. that would have taken us to Kha Zana for some Indian Food. As I went on south toward 39th or 36th to double back, it occurred to me that Ingrid's might be an excellent alternative choice. Although they have been at their current location for decades, I had never stopped in there before.

I was right: It IS an EXCELLENT choice.

I had the Sauerbraten (only $9.95) and my wife had the Schnitzel (price unknown). Some people might think that putting both sauerkraut and red cabbage on the plate is "overkill" but they are so different in flavor and texture that I was glad to have the chance to sample both of them. The potato salad provided the perfect third side. I washed all of this down with a couple of dark German beers that I had never tasted before. They were similar to a "light" stout and were also delicious. "Wars (something) Premium Dunkel" it said on the label. I'll be looking for it on my next visiit to the Libationary.

This time we sat in the large "deli area" rather than the "Wine/Beer/Cocktail" area and I noticed the piano that I understand is used sometimes to provide live entertainment.

The cakes, pies and pastries in the cases looked wonderful, but it was hot out and we had some other stops to make on the way home, so we will have to buy some of those on our next visit. Which, thanks to the dining value Ingrid's provides (their fine reputation is not exaggerated) will hopefully be in the near future.

---
    ---
    ---
    They were similar to a "light" stout and were also delicious. "Wars (something) Premium Dunkel" it said on the label. I'll be looking for it on my next visiit to the Libationary.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    Warsteiner? Schmecht sehr gut!

[vahr-schteiner]

By Jove! I believe that was it! =)
    (a bit "spendy" by the bottle at Ingrid's but worth every penny.)

I clicked your link, but I don't have my ID handy so I'll have to check it out later.
    What does "Dunkel" mean? Is it German for "Stout"?

15. Default Re: High School newspaper review Ingrid's Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    Warsteiner? Schmecht sehr gut!

[vahr-schteiner]
    Warsteiner is a favorite of mine. Pretty much any "libationary" around here should have several varieties.

---
    What does "Dunkel" mean? Is it German for "Stout"?

"Dark"

I pass by there all the time but have never stopped in. I'll have to give it a try now.

You won't regret it.
    If you go in the "Deli"/"Bakery" part, you will stand in a short line, place your order, pay for it and it will be delivered to your table.
    I think that if you sit in the other part, a waiter or waitress takes your order.
    This may cause a bit of confusion regarding leaving a gratuity . . . But it is a small price to pay.

(Have you ever made Sauerbraten at home? It is a process spanning several days. Then there is the actual cooking and cleanup.)

(Have you ever made Sauerbraten at home? It is a process spanning several days. Then there is the actual cooking and cleanup.)
    It is one of my many gastronomic specialties! Yes, you are correct it is a lot of work to prepare correctly, but well worth it.

It's $9.95 at Ingrid's. =)
    Plus the "complimentary" bread slices are even better than what one can purchase at Sunflower Market! =)

(One of the other Best Deals in town is the buffet at KhaZana. But tonight I'm slicing the Sunflower Market purchased pork roast into chops and firing up the grill. The "burn ban" hasn't yet extended to charcoal grilling has it? If so, then it will be the StovetopSear/OvenFinish method with some nice Steve R. BBQ sauce on the side. And taters plus Sunflower Mkt. Ciabatta Bread.)

Hope that didn't sound like a plug for any local businesses. =)
    Too many "plugs" are fake.

Is KhaZana that Indian buffet place? That's about 5 minutes from my house.

Never had anything bad there and the sweet rolls and thumb print cookies are some of the best in OKC

If one were to judge the quality of the food served at Ingrid's, at the intersection of Youngs and NW 36th Streets, only by the buildings across the street(s)-- which structures include a well-seasoned Cleaning Establishment directly to the east and a ClothingAlterations place directly south of the historic, 50'sSolid cleaners and bordering a quaint, winsome, semihistoric (without all the BSRegs) OKLAHOMA CITY neighborhood--. . . One might not ever choose to pull into the parking lot. (BTW: Ample parking to the north.)

But anyways . . .
    If one was or were to make such a judgment (with or without an e) . . . one would not be unpleasantly surprised.
    In fact, one would actually marvel at the fact that such a perfect dining establishment still exists and prospers in an old sub-urban spawl matrix that couldn't even support the long-gone "Builders Square" further west of Culinary Near Perfection.

Ingrid's does not depend on proper phrasing (n)or punctuation.
    (or a visit by that Guy)

It simply presents excellent food in an authentic environment.
    (and KhaZana does too except its in a strip mall right on May Ave. =)

Ingrid's isn't quite as "memorable" as dinner at Keller in the Kastle . . .
    But that doesn't mean it isn't a nearly incredible value.
    In addition to that it still exists.

I still owe our waiter $5.00
    But the pay at the register deal was confusing the first time.

Go there on a Saturday and listen to one of our members (Prunepicker) play the bass fiddle. I think that's between 12:00 and 2:00. I have eaten there and it has always been good. It's not "fine dining" by any means but I don't thing that was ever their intent, just good stuff.
    C. T.

I alwyas think I'm going to try something different, but I just can't get past their rubens. Best ever. And the german potato salad. YUM. And the chocolate in those thump print cookies is lethal.

Weekend brunch buffet is very good too. A bit pricey, but lots and lots of food (and desserts!) to choose from.

Thread Information