Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tucker's

Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly831 View Post
    I thought the burger was really good and while I enjoyed the fries my husband thought they were to well done. Maybe it is just me though but it seemed like the prices were a bit steep. It cost $45 for my husband, myself and my daughter and my daughter and I shared fries.
    Ate here with my wife and a friend Saturday. The three of us got out for about $28 all together. Each of us ordered fries, though we could probably have shared one order as big as they are.

Had dinner here again on Sat, this was my 3rd time. The fries were cooked better this time than the other two, not saying the other two times were bad, only this time the fries were the best.

I think the burger gets tastier each time I am there too. The jalapeno peppers on my burger were on fire and I love the extra spicy heat!

I used my 2 refillable cups, paying half price for drinks, ordered 2 burgers, one order of fries, used my "keep it local card", and had a tab just over $16.00.

Lastly the wait time has gone down considerably. I looked at my watch and was prepared for my wait, which has never been very long, but this time it was right at 5 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly831 View Post
    I thought the burger was really good and while I enjoyed the fries my husband thought they were to well done. Maybe it is just me though but it seemed like the prices were a bit steep. It cost $45 for my husband, myself and my daughter and my daughter and I shared fries.
    That does seem a bit steep and although it was a bit pricer than other burger places unless you all order the 1 pound Mother Tucker, fries, shakes & drinks, $45 seems a stretch?? The $28 tab someone else posted seems more likely?

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Wagon View Post
    Ate there a week ago and loved the burger. The crispy peanut oil fries I think will be controversial. A lot of people won't like them. They reminded me too much of those Durkee shoe-string potatoes my mom used to put in my school lunches. They could also use more items on the dessert menu--they should to go more with the "Eat Local" idea and offer a root beer float with the Pops root beer. That would help with the diner theme. Also they should turn down the lame techno music. Didn't go with the theme at all. This place isn't supposed to be uber cool, just retro kitschy.
    Not the first to comment about the fries and I don't recall them being that way at all. maybe thinner than most but IIRC they are thicker than What-a-burger's (which almost are "shoestring"). Thinner fries prob cook faster so they could prob easily get over cooked if temp is too high or if not pulled immediately when the time comes. Mine were cooked just right. I don't like "crispy" fries either. I like them hot but limp (the way they usually are at McDonald's, don't care for their fries if they just came out of the frier). If I wanted a crunchy potato, would just get a back of chips...LOL

I honestly didn't notice the music when I was there. I would disagree though with the "theme" comment. I don't really see it as a retro diner style at all. But maybe Tuck can fill us in in what the intent was/is.

5. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Finally got there today. LOVED IT. A couple of things that could have been better...my fries seemed like they had been under the lamp for awhile, but they were still delicious tasting. And the music was just too loud. But I will be back because the food was delicious overall. Small steps like this place on 23rd will go towards making that stretch a very dynamic neighborhood...it's on its way!

Tucker's is now officially a 2-star Certified Green Restaurant! Below is the press release announcing this designation:

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – November 9, 2011. A restaurant rarely commands so many titles on the date of its opening. Tucker’s Onion Burgers is an exception. One of the newest additions to the Oklahoma City dining scene has earned the title of “Greenest Restaurant in Oklahoma” due to is implementation of 48 environmental steps, earning it 128 GreenPoints™. Tucker’s is now a 2 Star Certified Green Restaurant®, exceeding the 100 point minimum, by meeting the Green Restaurant Association’s rigorous environmental standards.

“We are thrilled to be the first restaurant in Oklahoma to have achieved this significant milestone”, says Keith Paul, president of A Good Egg Dining Group. “We wanted to create a restaurant that not only provided an exceptionally distinctive guest experience, but also one we could truly say was green from the ground up. We are ecstatic that we’ve not only achieved that goal, but have gone farther than any other Certified Green Restaurant® in the State.”

To meet the GRA’s rigorous 2 Star Certified Green Restaurant® guidelines, a restaurant must meet a minimum of 100 points in seven environmental categories, including a minimum of 10 points in each of the following: Energy, Water, Waste, Chemicals, Food, Disposables, and Building.

Some Tucker’s Significant Accomplishments are:
    • Using ionized water to clean, instead of toxic chemicals
    • Salvaged the ceiling panels from the previous tenant
    • Using Green Pest Control Company
    • Paperless payroll for employees
    • Energy star Lighting for 59% of the bulbs

See here for details of all the steps and points Tucker’s Onion Burgers has completed, and see the full Certification standards here.

"Tucker’s Onion Burgers' accomplishments constitute a significant milestone for the restaurant itself and all the restaurants of Oklahoma,” remarks Michael Oshman, Executive Director of the Green Restaurant Association. “Tucker’s Onion Burgers' should be proud of the 48 steps and 128 GreenPoints™ they earned by going through a rigorous and transparent process of certification.”

For more information about the Green Restaurant Association, visit www.dinegreen.com.

About the Tucker’s Onion Burgers
    Tucker’s Onion Burgers is Oklahoma’s first premium onion burger restaurant. In a casual, vintage modern setting customers can enjoy delicious, authentic Oklahoma Onion Burgers made from only the freshest, all-natural ingredients. Tucker’s uses only the finest quality ingredients to produce the finest quality food. Our fresh ground beef is all-natural and hormone free, ethically produced by regional growers.

About the Green Restaurant Association
    Founded in 1990. The Green Restaurant Association is a national non-profit organization that provides the only official Certified Green Restaurants® mark in the country. For two decades, the GRA has pioneered the Green Restaurant® movement and has been the leading voice within the industry encouraging restaurants to listen to consumer demand and green their operations using transparent, science-based certification standards. With their turnkey certification system, the GRA has made it easy for thousands of restaurants to become more environmentally sustainable in a profitable manner. The GRA is endorsed by scores of national environmental organizations such as NRDC and Environmental Defense, and esteemed trade organizations including the New York State Restaurant Association, Orange County Restaurant Association, and America Public Garden Association. The GRA is also an Energy Star partner. In 2010, Citysearch announced the GRA as their official Green Restaurant® listing partner. The GRA has been featured on CNN, NBC Nightly News, NPR, and in The New York Times, and The Washington Post. For more information visit www.dinegreen.com.

• Using Green Pest Control Company ---> implies they have pests??? mmmm

Nah, simply notes they use green methods for their pest preventative measures.

Yes, that's correct. Every restaurant has to have pest control. Tucker's just has environmentally friendly pest control...unless you're a pest. Then it's not friendly at all. ;-)

yeppers. addressing pests or critters after they have a foothold in a food haus would be akin to not locking one's home doors and windows until after you can hear the burglars in the living room arguing over which one gets the tv and which one gets the stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    yeppers. addressing pests or critters after they have a foothold in a food haus would be akin to not locking one's home doors and windows until after you can hear the burglars in the living room arguing over which one gets the tv and which one gets the stereo.
    They both get my Pit and any survivors get to meet my Glock lol

12. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

My wife and I went there for the second time yesterday afternoon. We both got doubles with cheese which were very good. The fries were great (not too greasy). One thing we were left wondering, though, is why bacon is not available. Is it not available locally? Or is there another reason? Not complaining, just curious.

Thank you, tuck, for this excellent addition to 23rd Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    That does seem a bit steep and although it was a bit pricer than other burger places unless you all order the 1 pound Mother Tucker, fries, shakes & drinks, $45 seems a stretch?? The $28 tab someone else posted seems more likely?
    We each had doubles and shakes so it was 3 doubles with cheese (which are $8 each), 3 shakes (which are $4 each) and 2 fries (which are $2.59 each). With tax it was $44.56 The food was very good, don't get me wrong, but Nics is also very good and a ton of food and you can get a burger and fries for as much as the burger at Tuck's.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    My wife and I went there for the second time yesterday afternoon. We both got doubles with cheese which were very good. The fries were great (not too greasy). One thing we were left wondering, though, is why bacon is not available. Is it not available locally? Or is there another reason? Not complaining, just curious.

Thank you, tuck, for this excellent addition to 23rd Street.
    That was hubby's question too. He loves bacon on a burger, and will almost always order it when available. We just finally ate there for the first time today, and we loved it, but he was disappointed to not be able to add bacon.

Sorry for the delay on the bacon question. When concepting Tucker's, we decided that if we were going to put something on the menu, it was to be the ABSOLUTE BEST, that's it. Our griddle is only used for burgers/buns, our fryers only used for FF, etc... Adding bacon would cause us to either add another griddle, an oven or purchase pre-cooked bacon, which wouldn't be the best. The decisions here also can have an influence on ticket times and guest experience. We don't have veggie burgers or gluten-free buns, which be get tons of requests for, because these 2 items would slow our process/ticket times. We won't ever just add an item without fully thinking it through.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for everyone's questions, feedback and support!

16. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

I respect a company that thinks things through so thoroughly. I hadn't even thought about there being no bacon, though the explanation makes perfect sense. You do what you can with your space, put out the best product you can, and hope that enough people like it to keep you in business. It doesn't seem that the no-bacon issue has really hurt the business. I can't see myself saying, "Gee, I can't have bacon on my burger? Screw that, I'm never eating here again!" Maybe there are people who would do that, but not me.
    Still corrupting young minds

17. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

That makes sense, tuck. Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

I totally get it. Plus bacon on a fried onion burger doesnt make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I totally get it. Plus bacon on a fried onion burger doesnt make any sense.
    I feel exactly the same way about onions on a bacon burger, Onions on anything really.

It seems as if too many places try to be all things to all people and wind up mediocre across the board.
    Glad to read that you aren't fallling into that trap.

Do one thing nearly to perfection, and there will always be a demand for your product.

(Have you thought about having a jar of Bac'n Bitz on hand? Just kidding.)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I feel exactly the same way about onions on a bacon burger, Onions on anything really.

Fair enough. But the name of the place isn't Tucker's Bacon Burgers

The Best Onion Burger I EVER ate/enjoyed was when I, as the carpenter/contractor in charge, had to drive all the way from Jones "The Center of The Known Universe"" OK to The Suburbs of Mustang in order to build a room addition for some folks out there in the hinterlands (back in the early '80s).

I recall that there was a little structure . . . a building pretty close to a semi-authentic/salvaged diner/tin building/trailer . . . on the west side of the T (or more properly The Y from the NW)- Intersection of Council and Newcastle (not too far south of some high school over there in them parts of The Urban Sprawl) . . . that served these burgers.

Anyone else remember that place?
    Really: Best EVER Onion Burgers.
    Bar None.

I am confident that when we make the 15 minute drive over to Tucks on The 2-3 they will not only meet but exceed our expectations.

It never even crossed my mind--even back then--to ask for bacon.
    The fries were superb.

(The other place had a long line of patrons, too.)

^
    i can remember a diner-style place in mustang matching that description in the late 80's early 90's called danny's diner... not sure if that's the one you're thinking of. -M

"Danny's Diner" . . . That could be it!

I lived way over on The Far NE Side, so I can't be sure.
    In fact, I didn't think that Mustang even began until around the curve to the south and a couple of miles to the west.

But that is neither here nor there:

This thread is about Tucker's.
    (And my totally selfish, current, expectations of Quality =)

25. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

For what it's worth, I'll take a Tucker's burger over a Five Guys any day of the week.

Thread Information