Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tucker's

Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yeah, I was looking forward to getting the turkey onion burger. Had to divert meeting to Kaiser's, where I enjoyed a wonderful bison burger.
    Steve, did they give you nutritional info? From your blog:

OK, here’s the sad truth – it’s easier to get nutritional information for bland chains and fast food places than it is to get information for great local restaurants. What I’ve got below is a list of links for Oklahoma City restaurants that either have online nutritional information or have been helpful enough to guide us toward healthier items on menus. I will give special consideration to local restaurants, especially those in and near downtown (photos, etc) that try to either provide a list of healthy options or, best yet, provide nutritional information.

2. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Metro, I'm hoping I can get nutritional info from Keith when things slow down a bit for him. Fortunately with turkey burgers, you can make some general approximations (the same goes with a bison burger).

I tried Tucker's today! I suggested it as our office lunch spot, so all six of us went. It was quite packed at 12:15! We parked across the street and waited in line for 10 minutes, but it was worth the wait. I shared a single onion cheeseburger and fries with someone, and got a chocolate milkshake. In all honesty, I am not the biggest fan of hamburgers (I only like them thick, juicy, and pretty underdone, and cannot stand it when the edges get crispy), but I really loved this one! The fries were great, and the simplicity of the milkshake was nice.

I think everyone at work loved it.

Metro, I'm hoping I can get nutritional info from Keith when things slow down a bit for him. Fortunately with turkey burgers, you can make some general approximations (the same goes with a bison burger).
    I can't remember which chain restaurant it was, but Men's Health gave the a terrible health rating for their turkey burger. Apparently, the ground turkey contains more saturated fat than the ground beef version at the same restaurant.

5. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

No. I believe what you're talking about is the Carl's Jr. turkey burger. Yes, when it's slathered with mayonnaise, it's a bad choice. If there's another issue out there, I'd be interested...

If it was Carl's, they were saying Men's Health gave it an endorsement of sorts..the eat this not that thing. Going back to what Steve was saying, if you put certain condiments on anything, it is going to make it look bad (in other words, dress both sandwiches the same and then compare numbers). I tried the Turkey Burger when it came out a while ago and it was pretty good. Have ordered it again for a change of pace. But yes, you do have to be careful with a lot of things, thinking you are eating something healthier when you aren't, often with the things we add on to it, but in the instance of ground turkey etc, what can make a huge difference is if it is white or dark meat. The dark meat has a higher fat content. Also they say it is better if you can get something like a skinless breast fillet as opposed to a processed patty (even if made from breast meat).

We got Tucker's to go at work last night. Everybody really seemed to enjoy it. One of the guys who got the Mother Tucker couldn't stop talking about how fresh everything was.

8. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

I've been twice now and never had a greasy fry. In fact, Friday night, the paper in which the fries came wasn't even greasy.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not an onion burger fan - or even a burger fan in general. But my undying love for all things Good Egg lead me here last night.

We arrived a little after 7 p.m. on a Sunday night. There was a line and all the tables were full however shortly after placing our order we were able to find a seat.

My boyfriend enjoyed his beef single w/cheese. He pronounced it "pretty good" which - in non-foodie guy speak where everything else is "eh, it's ok" - is extremely high praise. In fact, shortly after we left he was on the phone with someone and told them they had to try it.

I had the turkey single with jalapeños and I've got to say it was the only burger I've had in my life that I would actually make a point to have again. I thought it was pretty much perfect and I was very glad the bun was fresh, and not toasted.

We both loved the fries. He complimented the size and salt, I loved that they were crisp without a hint of grease.

The strawberry limeade was a huge hit. As much as I loved the burger and fries, this was hands down my favorite part of the meal.

We'll be back!

10. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Here is the link to my newspaper staff's review

Tucker's Review
    Still corrupting young minds

I can see the size of the sign being a problem. On our way to Taj for lunch today - driving west on 23rd - I wanted to point Tucker's out to my passengers, and ended up driving right by it - even having been there before. On our way back, driving east, it was much easier to see as the building is not blocked from view on that side. The sign is not at all noticeable from either way.

12. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Nice writing, Bandnerd. Was that your piece? If so, have you looked at participating in The Oklahoman's Newsroom 101 program?

A tip of the hat to your students Bandnerd.

14. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Forgive me Bandnerd, I should have looked at your profile. It's hard to keep track of everybody - I thought you were one of the students. Anyway, tell your student I thought the review was well written and she/he should look into The Oklahoman's Newsroom 101 program.

15. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Forgive me Bandnerd, I should have looked at your profile. It's hard to keep track of everybody - I thought you were one of the students. Anyway, tell your student I thought the review was well written and she/he should look into The Oklahoman's Newsroom 101 program.
    Haha no problem, Steve! We are well aware of Newsroom 101. In fact, Carrie Coppernoll is one of my facebook friends, and I always go to her seminars at the Oklahoma Scholastic Media Spring Monday events. We always have at least one, if not two, students involved with the Newsroom 101 program She always says she loves my students because they are always so polite and well-behaved.

I will make sure the compliment is passed along to the proper person. Aside from the shameless plug for my program, we really did enjoy the food and the opportunity to review it. The kids are literally hungry for more. Thanks, tuck, for such a great burger!

Tomorrow, we ghost hunt in our 1920s-era building again. Anyone around here ghost-hunt? I have some interesting footage that could use a discerning ear. Again, shameless plug

Oh, and Steve (totally hijacking, sorry, tuck), please feel free to look through the other articles. We have had articles chosen this year for the ASNE National Edition, and Opubco gave us a grant this year just because they like us so much! It's a small program, only 6 writers, but I think they do good work for the little they have to work with!
    Last edited by bandnerd; 09-21-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Extra thoughts

16. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

I've browsed the site quite a bit. I'm glad to hear you're working with Carrie. I was with the original generation that started Newsroom 101, and it's been great to see one generation of newsroom leaders after another take the charge in keeping it going. Seeing as Harding is "in my neighborhood" (the area I cover), consider this offer: I've got a pretty well read blog with OKC Central and I'd be happy to feature stories written by your students that relate to the urban core. I'd also be happy to do my traditional "highlight" of the guest blogger (mug shot, quick intro on the writer).
    The Tucker's review is just one example of writing I'd be happy to feature; I also was impressed with the write-up on the impact of potential budget cuts.

17. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

I've browsed the site quite a bit. I'm glad to hear you're working with Carrie. I was with the original generation that started Newsroom 101, and it's been great to see one generation of newsroom leaders after another take the charge in keeping it going. Seeing as Harding is "in my neighborhood" (the area I cover), consider this offer: I've got a pretty well read blog with OKC Central and I'd be happy to feature stories written by your students that relate to the urban core. I'd also be happy to do my traditional "highlight" of the guest blogger (mug shot, quick intro on the writer).
    The Tucker's review is just one example of writing I'd be happy to feature; I also was impressed with the write-up on the impact of potential budget cuts.
    I'm going to PM you, if that's all right.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    A tip of the hat to your students Bandnerd.

I agree, a well done article.

19. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    I agree, a well done article.
    Thanks! It's easy to review a place that we enjoyed so much

20. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    I'm going to PM you, if that's all right.
    Of course

I thought the burger was really good and while I enjoyed the fries my husband thought they were to well done. Maybe it is just me though but it seemed like the prices were a bit steep. It cost $45 for my husband, myself and my daughter and my daughter and I shared fries.

Ate there yesterday for the first time. Had the Mother Tucker. It was awesome. I thought the prices were reasonable.

Ate there a week ago and loved the burger. The crispy peanut oil fries I think will be controversial. A lot of people won't like them. They reminded me too much of those Durkee shoe-string potatoes my mom used to put in my school lunches. They could also use more items on the dessert menu--they should to go more with the "Eat Local" idea and offer a root beer float with the Pops root beer. That would help with the diner theme. Also they should turn down the lame techno music. Didn't go with the theme at all. This place isn't supposed to be uber cool, just retro kitschy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Wagon View Post
    Ate there a week ago and loved the burger. The crispy peanut oil fries I think will be controversial. A lot of people won't like them. They reminded me too much of those Durkee shoe-string potatoes my mom used to put in my school lunches. They could also use more items on the dessert menu--they should to go more with the "Eat Local" idea and offer a root beer float with the Pops root beer. That would help with the diner theme. Also they should turn down the lame techno music. Didn't go with the theme at all. This place isn't supposed to be uber cool, just retro kitschy.
    Sin Wagon: Sounds like your FF were a bit overcooked; our fault, we are working on making these perfect! Music is being changed to a more mainstream classic choice. Next time your in, ask for a root beer float. We'll give you a full cup of Blue Bell ice cream; you can add pops Round Barn Root Beer from the fountain. Several guests are already doing this; it's fantastic. Try adding Orange Fanta for a great dreamsicle float as well. Thanks for the feedback...

YES! Any place that has Orange Fanta is a winner to me!

Thread Information