Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tucker's

1. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Since its named after a special Mastiff, does that mean the patio is dog friendly?

Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

I am apparently the only local person in my twitter feed who has not eaten at Tucker's.

had dinner at Tucker's last night and it was very very good .. you can tell that they use high quality meat and produce and that their fries are fresh cut.

i had the "Mother Tucker" w/ cheese which is a triple onion burger... it was huge and juicy and wonderful ... fries were crisp and hot and fresh ...

it will be a regular spot for me and i'm sure it won't take very long for them to extend their hours past 9

4. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

I also was lucky enough to eat there last night, and also meet tuck. The burger was bomb. No joke. Great meat, great toppings, great onions, awesome bun. I don't know that it's just the best burger I've ever had ever all-time, but it's top 10% based on the sheer quality of it. And the price points are AWESOME. You can even get a can of beer for under $3. At those prices, it's worth hanging out for a bit!!!!

Great, great job tuck.

Ate lunch there today, had the double onion with jalapeños, shared some fries and a strawberry shake. Also had a strawberry limeade to wash it all down. To no surprise, everything was top notch, as is everything with the good egg group. Lackmeyer will disagrree with me, as he thinks im a restaurant critic, but this is how restaurants are supposed to open. Burger was one of the best I've had, on par with Nics, but as I suspected before we came in, would be a different flavor/style. The buns are brioche from Prarie Thunder and are top notch! It's nice to have a bun that holds all the burger mess in. Portion sizes and prices were spot on. fries were hot and with sea salt. Strawberry shake was the best strawberry shake I've had, and so was the strawberry limeade. Wife had the turkey burger and it was fantastic, and I'm not a fan of turkey. Definitely will be a regular stop.

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

I was in Grandads as well as Tucker's today. Tucker's was very good. Similar type idea to 5 Guys, but better.

Grandads is hoping for a mid October opening.

The owner of the Hotel Motel Liquidation is apparently wanting to sell his land/store badly. That is good news for the area.

TUCKER'S TUCKER'S TUCKER'S !!!

OH WOW!!! THE BEST BURGER & FRIES, I HAVE EVER HAD ANYWHERE!!

I received the special invite yesterday (thank you Tucker's) and I was super excited all day. My stomach couldn't wait for a Tucker's Burger and my expectations continued to rise as I kept hearing from other people that had dined at Tucker's prior to me. Being that I love hamburgers so much, I only hoped that my build up wasn't to much and after my first bite I knew it definitely wasn't!

Tucker's has hit a home run on their first at bat!....... This place exceeded my expectations with every detail. The menu and ingredients are simple but extraordinary in quality. The choice of meat is perfect with flavor, along with just the right amount of grilled onions and jalapenos. Next I have never had a burger where the bun stands out with special flavor while being made to hold up to the very last bite of a juicy onion burger. Fries were perfectly crisp, with a touch of sea salt, and hand cut just to my liking. Strawberry limeade was a nice touch to wash it down with and I love the "refill the community" concept along with the souvenir cup. I could go on and on, but my mouth is watering and stomach is growling. I will be a regular here, probably once a week if not more.

TUCKER'S is a little slice of Heaven!! Thank you so much for the dinner invite last night, I can't wait to dine there again.

Just a FYI to those that might have missed it .. Tucker's open's today at 1030AM

I was already excited to eat there, but these reviews are driving me over the edge. I won't be back in OKC for 2 weeks, but I can assure you that it will be my first meal upon arrival. Sounds like a great addition for OKC and 23rd street.

it's perfect.

went tonight and had a double /w cheese, pickles, tomatoes & mustard along with an order of fries and a cherry limeade. the burger had good quality meat with just the right proportion of grilled onion and gooey cheese. the tomato had flavor and the pickles were nice and thick cut. the bread was the perfect density (i know that probably sounds weird) and flavor so that it stood up well to burger and toppings. all the flavors were well balanced and complimented each other. the fries were cooked to perfection and were flavored with coarse salt and (i'm pretty sure) a hint of sugar. the limeade was great, too... just the right balance between sweet and tart. friendly, courteous staff as usual. if i had one gripe, and it's hardly a gripe, it's that the credit card receipt didn't have a place for me to add a tip.

loved the place. -M

11. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Of all the Good Egg restaurants, this is the one I suspect could easily be duplicated if they so choose. Tuck's is an example of how an experienced restaurant operator can truly get it right when doors are first opened. Not every restaurant person has the ability or experience to do so ... but Keith and Heather Paul, along with Robert Black, know what they're doing.

12. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

My wife and I went out at dusk Friday evening to get some quick food ... and, while driving toward KFC, I said, "Hey, I think Tucker's is now open, let's give it a try," and we did.

The menu is shown below:

We ordered conservatively, deciding to split a milk shake and an order of fries. Mary Jo had the turkey burger and I had a single onion burger. Here's the tab totaling, with tax, $17.95, for a conservative dinner for two.

Here are my observations:

1. The facility. The place was conservatively well-appointed (nothing fancy but nice) with ample indoor and well arranged seating and a smaller amount of outdoor seating facing NW 23rd. A prominent neon sign, "Buy Local," added the only pizazz and color of note. As I recall, the tables were made of varnished wood planks placed together (probably pine, maybe maple), sized very adequately, and the seats were comfortable. A single bar-type row faced the north side which looked fine, as well. The outdoor seating was the same. Most tables accommodated 4 people, and the tables are fixed to the floor and are not movable. Each table is equipped with a bottle of ketchup, salt and pepper shakers, and napkins. Since it was a very pleasant night, we sat at an outdoor table and enjoyed doing so. The street ambiance was quite pleasing ... right across the street is the restaurant's parent, Cheevers, and a sizable lawn buffer exists between outdoor seating and NW 23rd. There was a pretty sunset on this particular evening.

2. Ordering. On entry at the west side, customers wait in a cafeteria-type single column which progresses to the ordering and cooking area at the east end. Despite the fact that the place was packed (and I was delighted to see that) and we were at the end of the column upon entry, the orders were obviously taken efficiently since the column's progress ran quickly. Paper menus (like that above) were available on entry so that you can make up your mind before you reach the ordering counter. When you reach the ordering counter, more than one (I don't recall how many) positions were available to take orders. They had a form with check boxes to take your order (e.g., include mustard, mayo, pickles, whatever). The lady who took our order and money did so politely and efficiently.

3. Food Delivery. Shortly after leaving that area, drinks were given first. One waited for the food to be delivered in sacks, but the wait wasn't long at all, perhaps 5 minutes.

4. Food. As you can see from our tab (above), we didn't order very much. Mary Jo, ordering the single turkey burger, had difficulty telling it from beef and I don't know if that was a mixup or not. My single onion burger was almost more than I could eat ... the bread was great (tasty, not flimsy and did not fall apart), the burger meat was larger than I expected (see below about my favorite onion burger), cooked very nicely, and the burger was quite juicy and tasty. I'm kind of a "purist" when it comes onion burgers and, in addition to the meat and onions and mustard, I only added pickles. The fries are cut "skinny" (about 1/4-1/3 inch rectangular) and were tasty and needed no additional salt, perhaps since they are cooked in peanut oil. The one order of fries was just about right for two people to share. The chocolate shake we shared was very good but was fairly small ... probably large enough for one person but not really large enough to share, even though we did). Drink size options are not available (although, as you can see from the menu, if you order a fountain drink you get free refills if you want).

5. Onion Burger Ranking. This part is subjective and it will vary upon what each onion burger lover sees as the epitome for the same. Personally, I like (love) the smashed-burger, smaller meat-quantity of onion burgers served at Chickasha's ancient J & W Grill at 501 West Choctaw Ave. which gets my 5-star onion burger rating, and against it I compare every other onion burger that I eat. At J & W, the burgers are smashed up so much that the meat is barely and literally held together by the fried onions which are smashed into them, and, even with a smaller volume of meat, the burger portion exceeds the size of the bread. I've been eating onion burgers there since in high school, probably beginning in 1958 but not later than 1960.

It is different with the more meaty onion burgers like those served at Tucker's and Bricktown Burgers (which are very similar) -- the fried onions, while smashed into the meat, isn't smashed nearly as much since there is more meat. When done, the meat doesn't extend beyond the borders of the amply-sized bun. The photo below shows what I mean by smashing (from the 2010 annual onion burger festival in El Reno). As you can see, with a lot of meat and the burgers truly smashed, the meat would far exceed the size of the bun if smashed as thin as are the J & W onion burgers in Chickasha.

Anyway, given my preferences, Tucker's didn't topple my Chickasha favorite, but I give the burger a 4-star rating which is very good and I'll be going back for more.

I didn't have a camera with me but I may go back tomorrow to take a few pics.

Tucker's has a website but it doesn't presently given any information like a menu and prices (like that shown above). It's Facebook page is more descriptive.

Thank you all for the great support and kind words for our newest concept: Tucker's Onion Burgers!! We have been very happy with the finshout of the buiding, the hospitality of our staff and the quality of of every food item. We still have a long way to go! I hope I get to see you you all at Tucker's soon!

There is no lawn between the outdoor seating an 23rd, just parking.

an interesting article on the logo:
    http://www.theokcegotist.com/news/lo...rs-vs-steubens

16. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

My students and I definitely enjoyed our meal there. The table looked like it had exploded napkins, fries, burgers, and milkshake samples. A teeny-tiny little sophomore girl almost ate an entire Mother Tucker. We were proud.

We will be writing a review (their first restaurant review ever) and I'll send it along when it's finished!
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    it's perfect.

went tonight and had a double /w cheese, pickles, tomatoes & mustard along with an order of fries and a cherry limeade. the burger had good quality meat with just the right proportion of grilled onion and gooey cheese. the tomato had flavor and the pickles were nice and thick cut. the bread was the perfect density (i know that probably sounds weird) and flavor so that it stood up well to burger and toppings. all the flavors were well balanced and complimented each other. the fries were cooked to perfection and were flavored with coarse salt and (i'm pretty sure) a hint of sugar. the limeade was great, too... just the right balance between sweet and tart. friendly, courteous staff as usual. if i had one gripe, and it's hardly a gripe, it's that the credit card receipt didn't have a place for me to add a tip.

loved the place. -M
    I'm pretty sure they only serve strawberry limeade, also the coarse salt is sea salt

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    an interesting article on the logo:
    http://www.theokcegotist.com/news/lo...rs-vs-steubens
    Interesting article. I don't think the general public in Oklahoma cares, as they steal good design all the time, but this is definitely a sin in the advertising/design world in which I work in.

19. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Of course. I don't know what I was thinking.

just goes to show ya ... never underestimate the power of a good chocolate shake to muddle the mind.

I did not mean to be overly critical of your analysis.

I think a real lawn would be better than the current lawn/blacktop parking lot as it is pretty ugly. Too bad the outdoor seating does not go all the way to 23rd that would have also been a better looking option. I was expecting more landscaping like what is in front of Market C.

There are definite similarities, but differences as well. Is it enough? In other words would the general public confuse one business for the other? Would folks from Denver visiting OKC think it was the same place? See instances in packaging where deliberate attempts are made (esp by no name brands to look like the name brand) and wonder how they get away with it. Then the other question is, did the person that came up with the design ever see the other or as the article put it:
    Tucker's defends themselves by saying Korn "pulled from the same inspiration our designer did: vintage signs/ads & vintage autos.."
    I am not disagreeing with what metro said. But there is very little out there that hasn't been already done by someone, somewhere. In an advertising design class, one of our end of the year assignments was to turn in a "Swipe File". Not in the literal sense, but ads etc that you liked/disliked to use as inspiration. Use of color, design elements, layout, type, images etc.

Saw something recently where a burger place was filing suit against another for copying their menu board. They had the side by side pics and honestly there weren't that many similarities. One of the noted similarities was Coca-Cola was on the menu? Really?

23. Default Re: Tucker's Onion Burgers

Don't care about the sign. Just give me the burger.
    Still corrupting young minds

It reminded me of the Tucker automobile badge. That is what I thought of when I first saw it and a long defunct company.

I see that Steuben's sign on their web site but it doesn't appear on the building or some of the other photos.

Thread Information