Widgets Magazine

Thread: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

Angry lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

I am proposing starting an internet campaign to bring a very much deserved COSTCO to OKC.

If Albuquerque has 3 we should at least get one

Default Re: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

I'm in. Let's send some emails.

...or BJ's. I'm all for another competitor entering the local market, but Costco is a little ridiculous -- 143,000 sq' store and is more of a workout (beating) than shopping trip. But, where else can you buy groceries, browse bedroom sets, and select a casket for you or a loved one's burial?

Quote Originally Posted by cameron_405 View Post
    But, where else can you buy groceries, browse bedroom sets, and select a casket for you or a loved one's burial?
    I suppose IKEA if they could just get around to that last one. lol

I thought it would be a lot longer until a Whole Foods would come, if ever, so I certainly support an e-mail campaign for COSTCO.

5. Default Re: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

They could move into an anchor building at Crossroads Mall.

I like Costco. They have good coffee.

...or BJ's. I'm all for another competitor entering the local market, but Costco is a little ridiculous -- 143,000 sq' store and is more of a workout (beating) than shopping trip. But, where else can you buy groceries, browse bedroom sets, and select a casket for you or a loved one's burial?
    They can get by with somewhat less space, as they canna sell their caskets here. Dumb, but it is what it is.

I think bj is only on the east coast

Once you are in the Costco store it doesn't really matter how big they are

Any body knows the email address for costco that we can send to

Here in California, Costco really rules the market over Sam's Club and Walmart in general. I absolutely love Costco.

But unfortunately Sam's has the OKC market pretty saturated. And I know this is an old topic, but they sell tons of wine, beer and liquor and that wouldn't be allowed in Oklahoma.

Would love to see them come into that market but you can't blame them for choosing other locations first.

10. Default Re: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

I would be happy to support us getting a Costco here. Someone needs to start a Facebook page too.

Why would the country's largest wine retailer come to a location that they can't sell wine at? Ain't gonna happen.

12. Default Re: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

COSTCO don't need to be selling wine and liquor to set up in Oklahoma. Those executives for COSTCO are some of the most idiotic business people ever! All they have to do is set up in Oklahoma, establish and grow, then work toward on changing the laws. It is easier to change laws for an existing company (and for others, too) already residing in this state in addition with mass support from the public. Enough said. COSTCO need to wake up and get their butts here.

13. Default Re: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

Would LOVE to see them here. Their product mix is SO much better than Sam's. I have missed them a lot since moving here from FL two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Those executives for COSTCO are some of the most idiotic business people ever!
    That's certainly backed up by the evidence... they aren't successful at all and there's no one clamoring to bring them to their communities...

[/sarcasm]

Man! I would love a Sam's vs Costco price war!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Here in California, Costco really rules the market over Sam's Club and Walmart in general. I absolutely love Costco.

But unfortunately Sam's has the OKC market pretty saturated. And I know this is an old topic, but they sell tons of wine, beer and liquor and that wouldn't be allowed in Oklahoma.

Would love to see them come into that market but you can't blame them for choosing other locations first.
    They do have a beer/wine selection at the two stores here in Austin, they have a separate liquor retailers attached to the building here with no access between the two in order to comply with Texas law requiring "family ownership" of a retail liquor outlet. Costco could not own the retail liquor outlet attached to their store so it is a lease arrangement like optical or a phone kiosk.

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    Man! I would love a Sam's vs Costco price war!
    Back in Virginia, they had both. Never saw a price war and although I prefered Costco because they carried some things I particularly liked, the Sam's was just as good a store. It was newer than the one I go to on SW 5th - very nice.

SW 5th was one of the very early stores, in fact I think the MWC store was the first Sam's Warehouse Club store.

I've never seen any kind of price war between them either, it's that one has some things the other store doesn't.

Sam's and Costco has a great deal of overlap in the items they carry... I'd say at least 50% from what I've seen, especially on staples.

And since both are out here and in direct competition, I know they use coupons a lot. I'm strictly a Costco shopper and you see a big increase in activity when they send out a new coupon book. With the down economy and all the competition, they've been very aggressive over the last year or two.

And I know there are work-arounds for the liquor issue (the whole thing is so absurd) but certainly if you were them you'd be more likely to concentrate on locations where you don't have to jump through these silly hoops and split profits. I can tell you the wine sections out here are enormous and they offer great deals on some very nice wines. They also sell tons of liquor and beer. It's absolutely fantastic for a party.

The stores here does have a large beer/wine selection, the liquor is "next door", the Sam's have the beer/wine but no liquor.

We use the Costco coupons as well and they have some good sales online as well but for me many of my "preferred items" are at one store and not the other but that even happens between the different Sams locations down here. There are two Costco stores, one in North Austin and one in South Austin whereas there are two South Austin Sam's and at least two that I know of in North Austin. My wife like Topo Chico water, the Sam's on South I-35 (they are moving this store soon) had it for years but the Southwest store didn't carry it until about a year ago so we had to go to the I-35 location every once in awhile or I would just stop in Spec's (in the same big-box mall as the SW Austin Sam's) and buy it there for close to the same price. I tend to just buy my alcohol at Spec's, a better selection than even the large sections at Costco or Sam's.

So does anybody know the email address for the folks at corporate Costco so we can start sending them emails.

Welcome to Costco, I love you. Welcome to Costco, I love you.

23. Default Re: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...15760378443369

I started this group on Facebook. Please add yourself and let's get it started.

Let's bring Costco to OKC...

24. Default Re: lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign

Wish this campaign would get them more interested in moving here. NewOK had a piece a while back addressing some of the issues that has been keeping them OUT of Oklahoma. Number one... The stand on Beer, Wine and Liquor sales is a BIG reason they have NOT come in yet. From the looks of how this issue was TABLED and HIDDEN at the state level with Little to NO Discussion on it. They won't likely be coming in soon.

I'd support them and IKEA both in this state.

Thread Information