Widgets Magazine

Thread: How Much Did You Pay for Rent?

Default How Much Did You Pay for Rent?

Got married in 1976. The apartment we rented cost $149.50 per month. We thought it was robbery for someone to charge that much for rent. How much did you pay for rent?

Default Re: How Much Did You Pay for Rent?

I rented a one bedroom (w/study) at The Gables in the mid-90s at $650. Moved to Crown Martin Park in a one bedroom for $675 around 2001.

Lived downtown at Sycamore in the mid to late 00s. I paid between $850 and $950 (rent went up every year).

$180 in the '70s for a 1 bed apartment in Bethany.

...first apartment was at The Invitational on 122nd -- in 1998, paid $415/month for a 'premium' one bedroom.

6. Default Re: How Much Did You Pay for Rent?

My first one room apartment when I moved out and still in high school was $100/month. My last apartment before I got married was a 2-bedroom 2-bath condo at Sycamore Square I rented from the owner for $900 all bills paid.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron_405 View Post
    ...first apartment was at The Invitational on 122nd -- in 1998, paid $415/month for a 'premium' one bedroom.
    That meant the front door actually locked.

Rent a condo in Midtown and pay $900/month. 1 Bedroom "loft" style thats approx. 750 sq ft. Includes water, trash, sewer, and a large portion of my cable service.

Before that I lived in Prairie Springs II off Council and NWX for a year until last July. Paid $770 for a large 1 bedroom with a detached garage, and was fairly new. But rent only included trash. Everything else was separate.

1972 - NW 22nd & Bauer - duplex - $65 mo.
    1973-74 - 804 1/2 NW 17th - duplex (upper floor of Mesta Park home pre-gentrification) $95 mo.
    1974-84 - 2552 S. Murray - 3 BR house - $140 mo. 1974-80; $250 mo. 1980-84.
    1984-85 - Oxford Way (Village) across from PD, off Britton- 3 BR house - $550 mo. (too steep for me at the time)
    1985-88 - NW 25th between Independence and Land - 2 BR house - $325 mo.
    1988-today - Arlington, TX - don't ask!

Chateau de Ville apartments. Was one of the first to move in, in 1958 (I think that was the year) and paid $220.00 (all utilities paid) and had two roomates in a 2 bedroom apt.

How times change... Now, I live in a 700 sq ft Apt in San Francisco, near UCSF and pay $2,100.00 per month and pay all utilities including sewer and garbage monthly fees. (BTW, I live in one of the lower rent areas) :-)

While in college at OU (1999-2005) I lived at the Emerald Green Apartments in Norman (Constitution & Dewey). 1 bedroom (600 sq ft). Rent started at $300 and was $400 by the time I left.

12. Default Re: How Much Did You Pay for Rent?

How do people like bucktalk and skyrick remember what they paid for rent in the 70s. I first got my own place in 77 and I have no idea how much it was. But then everything in the 70s is a bit fuzzy for me!

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    "...We thought it was robbery for someone to charge that much for rent. How much did you pay for rent?"
    ...love The Gregory Brothers

"In the future, all political debates will be moderated by a DJ in a spaceship, and the debaters will sing and rap their way to glorious victory. Jimmy McMillan of The Rent Is Too Damn High Party demonstrates this utopian vision with a roaring rendition of his party's eponymous theme"

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    How do people like bucktalk and skyrick remember what they paid for rent in the 70s. I first got my own place in 77 and I have no idea how much it was. But then everything in the 70s is a bit fuzzy for me!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXJe5...eature=related

The reason I remember is I only had a part time job and money was soooo scarce. Coming up with $149.50 each month was a huge task....whew....

You took the wrong drugs. Psychedelics don't affect the memory as much as Quaaludes and alcohol.

17. Default Re: How Much Did You Pay for Rent?

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    You took the wrong drugs. Psychedelics don't affect the memory as much as Quaaludes and alcohol.
    That would be the problem.

First apt (late 80s?) was an all bills paid place 1 bed/bath 500 sf for $300/month

Current 2 bed/bath 960 sf (including water/sewer/trash) is $550/month. The apt I had before it had more sf and better layout for about the same price (10 years ago) but maint. was really bad.

Thread Information