Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

Default Re: Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Couple of your Tulsa Now postings:
    If your gonna post my responses then you need to post what prompted those post!GOT IT

I also started a thread for Russian Sam on The TulsaNow forum so he could post his model updates there!You forgot to show that Thread and posts'!Did you get butthurt by my post?LOL

Here are the two post by an unamed TulsaNow forumer who prompted my response---------Yep...my analogy for what OKC is going through right now?

"You can bronze a turd, but it's still a turd" (bronze=pro sports franchise, turd=OKC). Agreed.

OKC is a 'chit' hole..

LOL! both posts' can be seen on TulsaNow in The NBA in Tulsa thread page two!

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    If your gonna post my responses then you need to post what prompted those post!GOT IT
    Sir, yes sir!

I also started a thread for Russian Sam on The TulsaNow forum so he could post his model updates there!You forgot to show that Thread and posts'!Did you get butthurt by my post?LOL
    No. I only wanted to show what a wonderful ambassador you are for our city, is all. I don't understand why they banned you, either.

Back to topic!!!! I don't think Tulsan's are butthurt,I just think they wanted to be included in the States first pro team and they felt a little shafted!

Sounds like your a troll in your own forum YOU CHIT HOLE! GET A LIFE YOU JEALOUS donkey TROLL!
    This thread has become so epically stupid it's funny. Come on dmoor, I think you're a cool poster, but this is embarrassing, no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    It's pretty obviously a snide remark. The fact that he (falsely) claims the entire state is paying taxes to have the thunder here is indicative of the butt-hurtness. He calls it "a team in Oklahoma City".

I mean....c'mon...
    Um..yeah. Obviously it's a snide remark. I have an appreciation for things like sarcasm and snide remarks, even if they're about me or my team. Oh, and actually it's true that the state is paying for the Thunder. In case you are unaware, they somehow magically qualified for the state's economic development tax rebate program.

I am a huge Thunder fan, and I've been to at least 20-30 Thunder games, which should say a lot because I am only in OKC for a few months here and there, anymore. And I also have an economic development way of looking at things, but even I can admit that the argument of an NBA team as economic development is baloney. It relates to other things, and it's worth a tax rebate if that's what it takes, although I don't think the tax rebate made a difference in us getting the team honestly. Perhaps I am even against that, just because come on, let's admit that they're just professional athletes at the end of the day, and we've all had enough of society's special treatment of professional athletes, and I say that as a huge sports buff. Played 3 different sports in high school and have always been a huge OU fb and bb nut, to go along with the Hornets for a while, and now the Thunder.

Oh, and it also is "a team in Oklahoma City." Or, at least I suspect that is where the Oklahoma City Arena is.

Typical sibling rivalry, but in tough times Tulsa never comes around to support big brother...

[QUOTE=Spartan;425503]This thread has become so epically stupid it's funny. Come on dmoor, I think you're a cool poster, but this is embarrassing, no offense.

No offense taken!They have their fair share of embarrassing forumers also,and I'm sure you have made posts' in the past you werent proud of either!This is all in The past and like I said earlier I will not stand by and let some idiot put down OKC and not get an ear full,childish and stupid as it may be we all have are not so bright moments!

It honestly reminds me of the constant bickering between OU and OSU fans. OU is OKC and OSU is Tulsa. Some may argue it's the other way around. One always wants what the other doesn't have...

poor tulsa, is the big bad okc picking on ya again oh yeah and for the one who said okc is a bronze terd, ya so okc is the poo, take yourself a big long wiffffff

Looks like there is enough insecurity to fill both cities. Jeeezus, give it a break!

Quote Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    It's pretty obviously a snide remark. The fact that he (falsely) claims the entire state is paying taxes to have the thunder here is indicative of the butt-hurtness. He calls it "a team in Oklahoma City".

I mean....c'mon...
    It isn't completely false. The State is giving the Thunder a significant amount of tax money (they rewrote the Quality Jobs Act so pro sport teams could qualify). In that since, the entire state is contributing to it. But it is primarily the taxpayers of OKC that paid for the Arena and the improvements. One could also argue that OKC as the largest population also contributes the most tax dollars into the general fund, so while certainly people outside of the area are paying some of the taxes too, most of it probably comes from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus View Post
    Typical sibling rivalry, but in tough times Tulsa never comes around to support big brother...
    Not sure exactly what you meant by that but Tulsa's mayor was here as part of the State representation for the relocation committee(included Stoops, Switzer, Gov Henry and many others). She was in support and the Tulsa World was in support.

But getting back to the rivalry thing...have heard it is a Capitol Envy thing too (heavy concentration of government/State jobs are here) and with OKC being the largest metro area and the seat of government, there is a perception that OKC gets more than its fair share of government allocations.

Always thought Tulsan's did indeed think they were in a different state since they have the Tulsa State Fair (we have the State Fair of Oklahoma, NOT the Oklahoma City State Fair)...LOL

I am definitely not a Tulsa hater and used to drive up there frequently. Being closer to the Ozarks that are of the state is hillier and often greener. They were often considered the more progressive and trendier of the two. Tey would frequently get national chains in Tulsa first, and then a few years later, we might get them here in OKC.

Here is the deal. It's certainly not the average citizen who makes much of the Tulsa/OKC thing. If we are competitive, it's simply because it's pretty natural to look at a peer and evaluate how one is doing in comparison. What I think is amazing about OKC right now is not Bricktown or the Thunder, but the apparent good will and civic pride that the public has about the city. OKC has had great corporate support/boosterism from two or three of its most visible companies, and that sends a message to the community that things are good. The interesting thing to me is that both cities have enjoyed similar resiliency during the downturn, with low unemployment rates (compared to the rest of the nation), stable real estate prices, and good economic ratings from unbiased outside organizations and publications. So why the vast psychological difference? No question that Tulsa has suffered from a myopia that OKC hasn't... I think the reference to the bombing was that the event served as a benchmark, a low point in OKC's history, that caused the community to rally around a 'rebirth', and your community leaders capitalized on it.

Tulsa, on the other hand, didn't have a low point, so to speak. Our economy was diversifying, we had Tech and Telecom companies growing at exponential rates, massive growth in Southeast Tulsa, low cost of living, and an idea that downtown was something that needed some attention, but not an alarming retreat from the urban core.

Suddenly, it changed. MAPS passed. Project Tulsa failed (due to apathy). OKC's oil and gas sector grew, The telecom/Tech bubble blew up in Tulsa. 9/11 all but shut down the Aerospace industry (American Air is still Tulsa's largest employer). It was a perfect storm. Tulsa has just had a harder economic road to haul over the last decade or so. I don't see anyone here wishing Bricktown was in Tulsa rather than OKC. Tulsa has plenty of good energy in terms of midtown revitalization, and downtown. I do think people here look down the road and see Devon/Chesapeake/SandRidge and can't help recalling Tulsa's Oil glory days. But envy isn't the right word. We need good jobs, that is all.

The one major thing I envy is OKC's connection with OU. Tulsa doesn't have an established four year research institution...TU is a wonderful school, with a huge endowment (larger than OSU's) but its student population is small, and doesn't have the impact that OU does. Boren's leadership is a big part of that. The Medical Research that takes place in OKC is huge. OU-Tulsa has the edge in clinical medicine, but it's the research side that companies evolve from.

As far as the Thunder are concerned...I like the players...no reason not to. I do agree though that there were State tax incentives used to get the team here. It is a fact. It is also a fact that Kathy Taylor assured David Stern that Tulsa would support the team, and that Tulsa's proximity to OKC and that vote of support was a major part of swaying his decision to allow the move from Seattle. He is quoted left and right saying that. So, the team should be called "Oklahoma" and they should play 2-3 regular season games at the BOK. Not to mention, it's just stupid to alienate Tulsa from a marketing standpoint. NE Oklahoma has damn near half of the states population. When there are only 3.5 million people in the whole state, you can't afford to do that. There will be a time when they aren't a playoff team, and they will be needing to fill the stands. Just ask the Indiana Pacers or the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chautauqua View Post
    It is also a fact that Kathy Taylor assured David Stern that Tulsa would support the team, and that Tulsa's proximity to OKC and that vote of support was a major part of swaying his decision to allow the move from Seattle. He is quoted left and right saying that.
    When did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    When did this happen?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3361374

"It really puts Oklahoma on a national map, and that's what's important, and it continues to grow the economy of Oklahoma City, which helps Tulsa," Taylor said of the Sonics' impending move. "We are the two most significant contributors to the state economy. Anything that we can do to help Oklahoma City's economy expand is good for Tulsa."

Tulsa and Oklahoma City are connected by an 86-mile-long turnpike, but the state's two largest cities have long had what sometimes has been a not-so-friendly rivalry. Both Taylor and Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said that 20 years ago, it would have been unlikely for leaders in one town to support a major initiative of the other.

But Taylor, who grew up in Oklahoma City, didn't hesitate when officials from Oklahoma City and the SuperSonics asked her to be a part of the team's March 25 presentation to members of the league's relocation committee.

Her presence -- and the role Tulsa-area residents could play in supporting an Oklahoma City franchise -- was noted by NBA commissioner David Stern. During a press conference following last Friday's vote, Stern mentioned Tulsa a half-dozen times.

Stern said the owners learned "how close Tulsa is" to Oklahoma City "and how many citizens of Tulsa will consider the team to be, and did consider the [New Orleans] Hornets when they were there ... a state franchise."

Cornett said 10 to 20 percent of the Sonics' ticket sales in Oklahoma City will come from the Tulsa area, and Taylor noted that it's "90 minutes door-to-door" from Tulsa to Oklahoma City. Those numbers are why Cornett said it only made sense to include Tulsa leaders as part of Oklahoma City's presentation to the NBA.

"When you talk to NBA owners, the idea of people driving 1˝ hours to an NBA game is something they're comfortable with," Cornett said. Including Tulsa as part of the team's sphere of influence meant the owners would "see a larger metropolitan area that they're more comfortable with."
    I mean, it could not be more blatant. I know she said that she didn't mind the name of the team....but she did.

Also:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3353270

The rights to those could be a bargaining chip in Bennett's negotiations with the city, with Seattle possible retaining them for a future team. Stern suggested that calling the club Oklahoma, instead of Oklahoma City, might be desirable because it reflects the importance of other parts of the state such as Tulsa in the franchise's viability.

Go OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do think people here look down the road and see Devon/Chesapeake/SandRidge and can't help recalling Tulsa's Oil glory days. But envy isn't the right word. We need good jobs, that is all.

The one major thing I envy is OKC's connection with OU. Tulsa doesn't have an established four year research institution...TU is a wonderful school, with a huge endowment (larger than OSU's) but its student population is small, and doesn't have the impact that OU does. Boren's leadership is a big part of that. The Medical Research that takes place in OKC is huge. OU-Tulsa has the edge in clinical medicine, but it's the research side that companies evolve from.
    Tulsa has just as many large companies headquartered or with major operations in the city, but they are not as big of boosters as Devon/Chesapeake/Sandridge. Tulsa-based ONEOK is the largest Fortune 500 company in the state (#189) and Williams is the third (#257). Devon is #231 and Chesapeake #263. Both have a similar number of Fortune 1000 HQ's as well. Energy companies large and small have offices in both cities with one usually having a larger presence in one than the other; for example Halliburton has a larger OKC office than Tulsa while Tulsa has a larger Apache presence than OKC, and many other examples.

Where OKC has a distinct advantage, like you said, is that it's in close proximity to OU which is a major economic engine. It's also home to the OU Medical Complex which has spurred a growing biotech and research sector. Tulsa doesn't have the same built-in advantages in that area but could if the state better funded OSU, which has a small campus and medical center downtown. I think that's more of OU leadership doing a better job of funding its university and medical programs (due to President Boren) than OSU rather than the state screwing Tulsa. I'm an OU grad and even I think OSU should focus more of its development in Tulsa with more programs, more facilities, more students, and a better-funded medical and research center. Oklahoma (the state) needs both metros to be economic engines for growth.

19. Default Re: Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

Go OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    OKC OKC OKC OKC!Lets go Thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Tulsa has just as many large companies headquartered or with major operations in the city, but they are not as big of boosters as Devon/Chesapeake/Sandridge. Tulsa-based ONEOK is the largest Fortune 500 company in the state (#189) and Williams is the third (#257). Devon is #231 and Chesapeake #263. Both have a similar number of Fortune 1000 HQ's as well. Energy companies large and small have offices in both cities with one usually having a larger presence in one than the other; for example Halliburton has a larger OKC office than Tulsa while Tulsa has a larger Apache presence than OKC, and many other examples.
    That is precisely my point. What Larry Nichols, Tom Ward and Aubrey do in terms of vocal leadership is huge. In terms of generosity, Tulsa is unparalleled. It has the largest Community Foundation in the country, George Kaiser Family Foundation, Zarrow, Schusterman... Yet, it feels different. It's more of an button down, conservative financially business sector here. In OKC, people are making 'deals'...I see it in the commercial real estate a lot. In Tulsa, it's all about who you know, where you went to school, who is your dad, etc. In OKC, it's, 'Let's make a deal". That is the best way I can describe it.

Where OKC has a distinct advantage, like you said, is that it's in close proximity to OU which is a major economic engine. It's also home to the OU Medical Complex which has spurred a growing biotech and research sector. Tulsa doesn't have the same built-in advantages in that area but could if the state better funded OSU, which has a small campus and medical center downtown. I think that's more of OU leadership doing a better job of funding its university and medical programs (due to President Boren) than OSU rather than the state screwing Tulsa. I'm an OU grad and even I think OSU should focus more of its development in Tulsa with more programs, more facilities, more students, and a better-funded medical and research center. Oklahoma (the state) needs both metros to be economic engines for growth.
    Boren's leadership is enormous. As an OU grad, I don't know how Brad Henry is going to fill those shoes when DB steps down...

As far as the Thunder are concerned...I like the players...no reason not to. I do agree though that there were State tax incentives used to get the team here. It is a fact. It is also a fact that Kathy Taylor assured David Stern that Tulsa would support the team, and that Tulsa's proximity to OKC and that vote of support was a major part of swaying his decision to allow the move from Seattle. He is quoted left and right saying that. So, the team should be called "Oklahoma" and they should play 2-3 regular season games at the BOK. Not to mention, it's just stupid to alienate Tulsa from a marketing standpoint. NE Oklahoma has damn near half of the states population. When there are only 3.5 million people in the whole state, you can't afford to do that. There will be a time when they aren't a playoff team, and they will be needing to fill the stands. Just ask the Indiana Pacers or the Minnesota Timberwolves.
    By this analogy, would it also be fair to say that they should play in Enid too? That'd be like saying that the Mavericks should be called the DFW Mavericks and that they should play at least 2 to 3 games in the Ft. Worth Coliseum, lol. Yes, Ft. Worth's proximity to Dallas is much closer but I don't hear them complaining. You seem like a reasonably smart fellow--except for the last paragraph. If you can't deal with it, bring your business and your family here. If you're unmovable, then just enjoy the games on FSOklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    By this analogy, would it also be fair to say that they should play in Enid too? That'd be like saying that the Mavericks should be called the DFW Mavericks and that they should play at least 2 to 3 games in the Ft. Worth Coliseum, lol. Yes, Ft. Worth's proximity to Dallas is much closer but I don't hear them complaining. You seem like a reasonably smart fellow--except for the last paragraph. If you can't deal with it, bring your business and your family here. If you're unmovable, then just enjoy the games on FSOklahoma.

The Dallas Metroplex has 6.5 million people in an area the size of OKC and Tulsa combined, twice the population of the state of Oklahoma. Dallas is the economic center and the primary identifiable community of the area. Tulsa and OKC are equals in that regard, unlike Dallas and Fort Worth, so that is a terrible analogy. Furthermore, are you actually comparing Enid (population 50,000) to the Tulsa Metro (Population 989,000)? Does Enid have arena the caliber of the BOK Center? Does Fort Worth, for that matter? This appears to be the issue. In your deluded mind, Tulsa and Enid are the same. It's absurd.

Look, the owners can name the team whatever they want, but I reserve the right to think it is stupid, and not to mention poor business, to alienate a million potential fans in a state of 3 million people. And the Commissioner of the National Basketball Association agrees with me. It is hubris at it's finest.

24. Default Re: Why is Tulsa so butt hurt?

... to alienate a million potential fans in a state of 3 million people. And the Commissioner of the National Basketball Association agrees with me. It is hubris at it's finest.
    When there are only 3.5 million people in the whole state...
    I'll keep this simple...

Oklahoma state population (2010 Census): 3,751,351

By now it is likely close to 3.8 million. And the state will pass the 4 million mark later this decade. Time to let go of the 20th Century estimates.

As far as sharing the team between two cities, it doesn't work. No city in the NBA practices that model. Kansas City tried it with Omaha years ago, and it was not successful. As far as calling the team the Oklahoma Thunder, that is something we are all going to have to agree to disagree. The team was bought and is sponsored by Oklahoma City's business community. It is an Oklahoma City team. I appreciate Tulsa's support.

Think about this... naming the team after the city keeps the door open for Tulsa to name it's future pro team the Tulsa xxxx.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Look, the owners can name the team whatever they want, but I reserve the right to think it is stupid, and not to mention poor business, to alienate a million potential fans in a state of 3 million people. And the Commissioner of the National Basketball Association agrees with me. It is hubris at it's finest.
    I seriously doubt that a million fans are anything close to alienated because of the name. I have been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys for over 40 years. I never once thought about turning my back on them because they didn't call themselves the North Texas and Oklahoma Cowboys. LOL

Thread Information