Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best/favorite foods in the OKC Metro

Default Best/favorite foods in the OKC Metro

All these different threads about specific foods, lets just discuss it all here.

Can be your favorite bakery/breads

Steak or fast food. Doesn't matter.

Being I still consider myself new to the area (just over a year now), I hope to learn of the great places I could be missing out on so far.

Of the great little places I have discoverd great food at, some are not too far away (I am in Edmond).

So far for me:

Oriental: Lemongrass Thai on 178th and Santa Fe.
    Zen: 33rd and Broadway
    Wongs in Clinton- best eggrolls ever!

I'm still out on where the best steaks are. I do hit Cattlemans on special occasions. Very happy with the steaks, but the rest of the meal is so so. Their dressing isn't all that great. Bland. And the salad is just iceberg lettuce.

I enjoy breads, fresh breads. I don't buy Wonder or any of that national brand gummy stuff.
    Been to Big Sky and although their selction was very limited (bad timing I guess) the bread I did buy was very good. They don't bake rolls for sandwiches however. I enjoy a good Kaiser roll for my lunches. Target bakerys do up some nice crusty rolls that are amazing for a chain store. But their kaisers are small.

I will add more to this thread, unfortunately right now I am off to work.

So, help me out on where the good stuff is in the area. I love to take family/friends out when they visit....plus I just simply enjoy good food.

Default Re: Best/favorite foods in the OKC Metro

Steaks: SaltGrass (Norman)
    Asian: Cha Time Noodle SteakHouse (Norman)
    Burger: Nic's Grill (Oklahoma City)
    Pizza: Joey's Pizzeria (Oklahoma City)
    Cajun: Bourbon Street Cafe (Bricktown)
    Italian: Italiano's (Oklahoma City)
    Mexican: Mama Rojas (Oklahoma City)
    Burritos: Big Truck Tacos (Oklahoma City)
    Fine Dining: Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast (Norman) they are open for dinner weekly from 6 to 8).
    Fast Food: Chick-Fi-La (Anywhere)
    BBQ: Billy Sims BBQ (Norman)
    Brunch: Cafe Nova (Oklahoma City)
    Buffet: Pig Out Palace (Henryetta)
    Bakery: Dara Marie's (Norman)
    Soul Food: A Family Affair (Oklahoma City)
    Movie Food: The Warren Theater (Moore)
    Breakfast Food: Ozzie's Diner (Westheimer Airport)
    Family Restaurant: Red Robin (Anywhere)
    Country Boy Restaurant: Punkins (Pauls Valley)

"So, help me out on where the good stuff is in the area. I love to take family/friends out when they visit....plus I just simply enjoy good food. "
    Steaks, how about Twelve Oaks, Mickey Mantle's, Boulevard Steak House, and The Haunted House? All of those would be in the "fine dining" class.
    I have always enjoyed Jamil's, I have eaten there (and at the Haunted House) almost since they opened in the 60's.
    I think Papa Dio's and Primo's are both very good for Italian restaurants but if you want to get serious, jump in the car and head South East about 140 miles to Krebs to Pete's Place, The Isle of Capri, or Roseanna's Italian food. An old mining area originally populated with Italians. The is also a very good Italian restaurant South West about 80 miles called Giuseppe's.
    I think I will stop there, I don't eat out a lot anymore but these are some of the old standards that have stood the test of time.
    As for my choices, keep in mind that taste, like beauty is in the taste buds/eye of the beholder. Just my two cents worth.
    C. T.

Jettmeister, probably because there are already numerous threads on this topic, they are just buried a few pages back.

I forgot to mention that Giuseppe's is in Marlow.
    C. T.

For breads, check out Prairie Thunder Bakery in Midtown. Delish!

Toby Keith's in Bricktown has very good steaks (tender enough you can cut with a fork, without the "mealy" texture that can happen if a cut is over "tenderized"), tasty too. A surprising find was the steaks at Furrs (great seasoning, but only available after 4pm). Ryan's/Fire Mountain used to have great flavor, still good but overall quality/selection of food has gone down. When Golden Corral has their bacon wrapped filets, they are exceptional. Also great value for the money.

Zarate's in Edmond. Their jerk chicken is phenomenal. A close second though is Charleston's.

Zarates? Haven't heard of it, will look into that one.!

Great mention about Charlstons. I've eaten at the one on NW expressway quite some time ago when doing business at Integris. I noticed there is one in Edmond. Will have to go sometime.

Thunder Bakery? Never heard of it before. will put that on my list to check out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    Zarates? Haven't heard of it, will look into that one.!

Great mention about Charlstons. I've eaten at the one on NW expressway quite some time ago when doing business at Integris. I noticed there is one in Edmond. Will have to go sometime.

Thunder Bakery? Never heard of it before. will put that on my list to check out.

Thanks!
    Zarate's is currently redoing their menu so they've taken it off the site until they do, but you can see the old menu on their site:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/13486...n-Grill-Edmond

The latin/caribbean food is a lot better than the Mexican, but it's seriously tasty.

And definitely check out Charleston's. I think they have the best queso in the state.

Thunder Bakery is pretty good. If you're in Edmond, you might also check out Harvesthyme: http://www.harvestymebread.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    I have personally not had any problems at Charlestons but you might want to look at my recent post here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=25435&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I have personally not had any problems at Charlestons but you might want to look at my recent post here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=25435&page=2
    I'm sorry your friend had that happen. I've been eating there for 20+ years and never had any problems, but I think it's a problem any restaurant that gets their produce local/fresh could have had.

Quote Originally Posted by lawboysam View Post
    I'm sorry your friend had that happen. I've been eating there for 20+ years and never had any problems, but I think it's a problem any restaurant that gets their produce local/fresh could have had.
    That's exactly what I said. I think it had to be as a result of lax inspection before use and I suspect that it has been corrected. They certainly don't want that kind of reputation.

Italian - HANDS DOWN Bela Vista, I really can't stress how good much of their menu is. The red clam sauce is incredible, and all of their sauces have the flavor and complexity that I know for a fact only come from HOURS of prepping and simmering. Honorable mentions, Cafe Pronzo and I have a huge soft spot for the Chicken Parm and Garden Hamlet Pizza (maybe my fav. Pizza) at Flip's

Mexican - Taco Trucks in the N May & 16th area and Taqueria Durango for street style mexican. Durango's Gorditas are AWESOME!!! My favorite regular mexican restaurant is probably Tarahumara's in Norman and Alvarado's in Edmond (the home made flour tortillas there are excellent and they offer cheesy mashed potatoes as a side), OKC is actually pretty lacking in decent "sit down" mexican food (although this will be a source of argument).

Asian - For me, HANDS DOWN (again) Golden Phoenix, they undeniably have some of the highest quality meats and vegetables of any restaurant of any kind anywhere in town. They do their own butchering, and everything there is incredibly fresh and well prepared. They have a flat out amazing Filet Mignon stir fry that is cheap and has some of the best beef you'll have in it. They also have hot pots, great Pho, excellent lemon grass dishes, DELICIOUS Salt and Pepper ribs, and the best spring rolls in town. I also really like Grand House (for a nicer ambiance and very good food), Chow's, Pho Saigon, and Bistro B.

Pizza - Joey's Pizzeria, so sad it moved from just down my street to Film Row, but it is totally great Pizza so I'll still eat there.

Barbecue - It depends, for "white people" barbecue, I like JT's in Midwest City. However, what I really like is delicious, hot as hell, soul filled barbecue from Mr. Spriggs in Midwest city, it's pretty awesome.

Guatemalan - Cafe Cacao for breakfasts on N Classen, for dinner we usually eat at Cocina Guatalinda. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cocina Guatalinda, incredible home style pot roast made with sides and tortillas for around $6, totally can't beat it.

Sushi/Japanese - I LOVE Tokyo in Nichols Hills, they have my favorite Sushi, and above all, they serve the left over bits of fish, so you can actually get a Tuna cheek there, which if you haven't eaten, is a real pleasure. They have specials that change out on their menu and you can actually get some pretty awesome traditional Japanese food there. The Tuna cheek is killer though really. I also love Shiki for both sushi and Hibachi, very good, and kind of rowdy in comparison to most sushi/hibachi places, good place to get drunk with friends and stuff yourself on raw fish!

In Edmond, I love Zarate's, Alvarado's, Cafe 501 / Boulevard Steakhouse, That Thai place in the strip mall over by Iggy's, OHHHHHHHHHHHHH and I totally forgot about Humble Pie. Oh my god, Humble Pie has a CRAZY Good deep dish Pizza. If you don't eat at Humble Pie, please start.

Oh and I eat breakfast EVERY Saturday at VZD's, It may or may not be something that special, I personally think they have the biscuits and home made muffins in town, but, I must REALLY think it's my favorite because I haven't missed a VZD's saturday breakfast in a VERY long time.

Golden Pheonix sounds great. Noticed they have Vietnamese dishes. I loved Siagon's in Wichita KS. They have "crispy noodle" dishes there, LOVED them. Been to a few random Vietnamese places here and none so far had them. Does Golden Pheonix serve them?

Who has a great Mongolian Barbeque? Sunrise in Shawnee used to be incredible. They may still be, but haven't been there in years. Haven't found any around here.

As for Golden Phoenix, they are primarily a vietnamese restaurant that serves a lot of Chinese dishes and they have a MASSIVE menu, so they most likely do have a version of the crispy noodles you are looking for. The owner is VERY friendly and accommodating, so you may want to describe it to someone behind the counter. As for Mongolian Barbecue, I've had it several times at the Golden Palace buffet in Midwest City (I think there is also one on S Meridian). It was very good and the rest of the buffet is pretty great too. It's worth a shot anyway.

Thread Information