Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clay Bennett

Default Clay Bennett

Just read on Clay Bennett's wiki page that he was named chairman of the NBA's Relocation Committee in April 2011.....hmmmmmm....now all those Seattle fans who cursed him, better be kissing his feet now, because now he has major power granting a city an NBA franchise! He was in Sacramento recently re the King's relocation issues...

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...ion-committee/

Default Re: Clay Bennett

Well, his franchise seems to have set the standard for doing it right.

Thinking back on all the things Sonics fans have said in the last three years, this just makes me laugh.

4. Default Re: Clay Bennett

I sure hope Seattle are denied a team for a thousand years and more.

Seattle gets a team when they get a new arena, it is that simple...maybe hard to figure out when you rarely see the sun...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I sure hope Seattle are denied a team for a thousand years and more.
    Why would you hope that? I'm certainly glad their team moved here but I have nothing against the city based on a few jerks who made stupid comments. I haven't heard of any great clamoring for a new team there but I think if they ever got a new team that would make a great rivalry for OKC.

7. Default Re: Clay Bennett

It seems Seattle has moved on and really hasn't cared for getting a new franchise except for the select few that still want to whine about OKC. Its whatever. I like Seattle a town, so I'm not going to judge the whole city because of a few fans that want to hold a grudge because more people didn't show up to games when the team was there.

Since Clay Bennett has major pull now in the NBA, hopefully he can sway Stern and friends to have OKC host NBA All-Star weekend in 2013!

Not enough hotel rooms in OKC for an All Star game. I believe they require 30,000.

Thunder?Why would you say that about Seattle?I for one hope one day they get another team,The ones from The Pac NW who have attacked and are attacking OKC and Thunder fans are in The minority!

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Not enough hotel rooms in OKC for an All Star game. I believe they require 30,000.
    Really? That's too bad, it will be sad when we host an NBA Final series, and win a championship, but can't host a NBA All-Star weekend...what is our hotel rooms at right now? are we even close?

I don't think Bennett being on a relocation committee gives him a bunch of pull in NBA matters. He probably was selected for that spot because he was the last guy that had to move a franchise. And we are no where near hosting an all star game. We are at least 15 years and a new arena away from hosting it.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Since Clay Bennett has major pull now in the NBA, hopefully he can sway Stern and friends to have OKC host NBA All-Star weekend in 2013!
    Really doubt OKC is or will be seriously considered to host an all star game. Just today, Sportscasters on Washington DC sportstalk were lamenting the possiblity of having a finals in OKC or Memphis. OKC does not offer the wealth of upscale anything to make celebrities or the affluent from the coasts want to spend 4-5 days partying (ha,ha)here. Wish it weren't true, but OKC is simply not ready for that kind of prime time and won't be for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I don't think Bennett being on a relocation committee gives him a bunch of pull in NBA matters. He probably was selected for that spot because he was the last guy that had to move a franchise. And we are no where near hosting an all star game. We are at least 15 years and a new arena away from hosting it.
    I heard it was also since he has been active in developing/being in public-private partnerships from the 89 Olympic festival through MAPS, but any owner outside of the five largest cities that are not billionaires doing it as a vanity play should have experience with that too.

We've gone through this argument numerous times, OKC has nowhere near enough hotel rooms, amenities, retail, entertainment to handle it.

16. Default Re: Clay Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    We've gone through this argument numerous times, OKC has nowhere near enough hotel rooms, amenities, retail, entertainment to handle it.
    I disagree. We have plenty of all that. As for entertainment, those can easily be planned and set up on the streets downtown.

Thunder, disagree all you want, but you don't live in reality. Have you ever been to a major city outside of Oklahoma?

18. Default Re: Clay Bennett

What cities recently hosted the NBA All-Stars other than L.A. and what do those cities offer in upscale amenities? You guys need to be more granular in detail. Don't just say upscale anything. I mean, based on that you've just disqualified every city in the country except for LA, Chicago, NYC and Miami. Maybe Dallas.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    What cities recently hosted the NBA All-Stars other than L.A. and what do those cities offer in upscale amenities? You guys need to be more granular in detail. Don't just say upscale anything. I mean, based on that you've just disqualified every city in the country except for LA, Chicago, NYC and Miami. Maybe Dallas.
    Notable small markets that hosted NBA All Star Game, Salt Lake City 1993, Oakland 2000, Denver 2005, New Orleans 2008, compared to the big 3 L.A., Chicago, New York, these are small markets.

OKC can do a lot in two years to bring it up to par to host an NBA All Star weekend, we already have momentum just need more hotels and amenities which are all in the works.

21. Default Re: Clay Bennett

Notable small markets that hosted NBA All Star Game, Salt Lake City 1993, Oakland 2000, Denver 2005, New Orleans 2008, compared to the big 3 L.A., Chicago, New York, these are small markets.
    Okay DCSooner and metro, time to chime in. What upscale and entertainment amenities do Salt Lake City and New Orleans offer that would make your celebrities and affluent from the coasted (as if affluent people don't exist in Oklahoma as residents) want to stay in those two cities and party for 4-5 days?

Okay DCSooner and metro, time to chime in. What upscale and entertainment amenities do Salt Lake City and New Orleans offer that would make your celebrities and affluent from the coasted (as if affluent people don't exist in Oklahoma as residents) want to stay in those two cities and party for 4-5 days?
    Pulse, I understand your point about Salt Lake City but don't understand how you could ask that question about New Orleans. Have you been there? It's one of America's major party cities and has a great number of cultural and historical attractions as well. It was devastated by the hurricane but not wiped off of the map and is still a big attraction for visitors.

Ok, first let me say that OKC is improving rapidly. Having said that, cities that host major sporting events are generally blessed with great weather (Phoenix, LA, Miami), natural landscapes (ocean, ,mountains, rivers, etc)(LA, Miami SF Denver etc), vibrant downtown areas (NY,Chicago, Boston), great cuisine (meaning varied). New Orleans is not a big city but New Orleans has a distinctive cultural identity based around food and music, to some extent Memphis also has a food and music identity but is not percieved as an upscale place primarily due to its crime statistics and generally less than affluent demographic. OKC has none of these features (consistently great weather, vibrant DT, positive distinctive cultural identity, natural landscapes.

Generally Super Bowls and Final Fours and NBA Championship Series appeal to not only the super fan, but the high rollers who want to be seen at the event not particularly for the sporting event itself. Televsion ratingsnmatter, OKC is the 45th largest TV market larger that only Memphis and NO. SLC + Ogdan UT pop=1.7M.SLC has major resort hotels and ski resorts.

OKC is not now nor has it ever been known as a "destination city". People do not come to OKC necessasarily for leisure and relaxation (outside of when I visit my mother in Lawton). These events requires major convention hotels like W and others not Days Inn, etc. I venture to say OKC has the smallest airport of all the the NBA cities. (Memphis and SLC are mini hubs) NO is a tourist destination as well as SLC. It is not easy to get to OKC.

Where would anyone coming in for the finals Shop for high end merchandise? Nowhere. In OKC we are still trying to get upscale "chain stores". Heck, you can't buy alcohol in a grocery store. Do you know how backwards people on the East Coast think that is? 3.2 beer ha!

Listen, I love OKC and Oklahoma, BUT I am not delusional, but realistic. We still have a ways to go to move from the both percieved and real image of a "slow, uneducated, flat wasteland". As I said in the beginning, Things are changing but as you no doubt are aware in Oklahoma change moves like syrup.

24. Default Re: Clay Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Ok, first let me say that OKC is improving rapidly. Having said that, cities that host major sporting events are generally blessed with great weather (Phoenix, LA, Miami), natural landscapes (ocean, ,mountains, rivers, etc)(LA, Miami SF Denver etc), vibrant downtown areas (NY,Chicago, Boston), great cuisine (meaning varied). New Orleans is not a big city but New Orleans has a distinctive cultural identity based around food and music, to some extent Memphis also has a food and music identity but is not percieved as an upscale place primarily due to its crime statistics and generally less than affluent demographic. OKC has none of these features (consistently great weather, vibrant DT, positive distinctive cultural identity, natural landscapes.

Generally Super Bowls and Final Fours and NBA Championship Series appeal to not only the super fan, but the high rollers who want to be seen at the event not particularly for the sporting event itself. Televsion ratingsnmatter, OKC is the 45th largest TV market larger that only Memphis and NO. SLC + Ogdan UT pop=1.7M.SLC has major resort hotels and ski resorts.

OKC is not now nor has it ever been known as a "destination city". People do not come to OKC necessasarily for leisure and relaxation (outside of when I visit my mother in Lawton). These events requires major convention hotels like W and others not Days Inn, etc. I venture to say OKC has the smallest airport of all the the NBA cities. (Memphis and SLC are mini hubs) NO is a tourist destination as well as SLC. It is not easy to get to OKC.

Where would anyone coming in for the finals Shop for high end merchandise? Nowhere. In OKC we are still trying to get upscale "chain stores". Heck, you can't buy alcohol in a grocery store. Do you know how backwards people on the East Coast think that is? 3.2 beer ha!

Listen, I love OKC and Oklahoma, BUT I am not delusional, but realistic. We still have a ways to go to move from the both percieved and real image of a "slow, uneducated, flat wasteland". As I said in the beginning, Things are changing but as you no doubt are aware in Oklahoma change moves like syrup.
    I have to say I agree with all but what you had to say about not being able to buy alcohol in a grocery store. It may seem backwards to people on the West Coast, but people on the East Coast (in the NE) are used to alcohol laws as stringent as Oklahoma, i.e. Massachusetts, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. In New York you can buy beer in a grocery store, but not wine, and also in New York liquor stores cannot open additional locations, which bans liquor chains, just like Oklahoma.

Yes, New Orleans is known for jazz music and great cuisine, but outside of Mardi Gras cities like Boston, Chicago and San Francisco still stand out over New Orleans.

There are qualities that Oklahoma City could be known for, but those get quickly overlooked. But, like we both agree, it's improving quickly. I can't count how many times I've met people from other states that are shocked to find out there is more to OKC than BBQ and churches. Heck, one of my colleagues is still surprised Oklahoma City has lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I venture to say OKC has the smallest airport of all the the NBA cities. (Memphis and SLC are mini hubs) NO is a tourist destination as well as SLC. It is not easy to get to OKC.
    You would be right. Amongst the NBA cities, OKC has--by far--the lowest amount of airport passenger traffic. Not only tough to fly to, but expensive.

Also, having only ~2,000 hotel rooms in the downtown area (including the motels at I-40/35 and Eastern) isn't even remotely close to being adequate for hosting an All-Star game.

Thread Information