Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crest coming to Norman

Default Crest coming to Norman

Sat near Bruce Harroz at lunch today and heard him say that they were getting ready to close on land at I35 and Robinson very close to where Mathis Brothers
    is locating a store.

He mentioned that Mathis Brothers would not have much furniture,
    mostly mattresses. He said it would be pretty much like the 104th & May
    Fresh Market.

He mentioned that they could have purchased land at Tecumseh Rd. but
    that it would have been 3 miles off the highway and that they
    didn't want that.

Apologies if this is old news.

Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

I sure haven't heard of it. Thanks for the info.

The grocery scene really is popping in the metro now with Whole Foods, Sunflower Market, and a new organic Buy-For-Less concept coming to Edmond in addition to this news about Crest. All of these, as well as Target, are such a breath of fresh air compared to Wal-Mart.

We are in the breadbasket of the country; we deserve and should demand better grocery stores, and it appears the tide is finally shifting.

Yes,
    Something I thought was funny that he said was when
    someone asked him:
    So you're probably not really concerned about Whole Foods are you??

His response was:

Anyone in the grocery business takes "something" away........it's just
    a question of how much, but I'm concerned about all of them,
    even the fruit stand on the side of the road..........

Mildly amusing, but very shrewd........

He may have to worry about Whole Foods in the future. I could definitely see a WF in Norman as the second metro location.

5. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

Yes, it has been in the planning for a while and also discussed in another thread. But... Crest HQ treats their employees horribly than Walmart does.

6. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

I guess it comes down to what their prices are like compared to Homeland and such and their coupon policy (doubling?). Yes I'm one of those...but I also enjoy taking a bill from $300 down to under $100. :-)

With Target & Homeland on this same corner, if I'm thinking right. There will be lots of competition for groceries all at this intersection! I wish something nicer would open on the east side of town. Around the 12th/Classen Area

Norman needs a major grocery store somewhere west of the I-35 and Tecumseh area.

Quote Originally Posted by okcfollower View Post
    With Target & Homeland on this same corner, if I'm thinking right. There will be lots of competition for groceries all at this intersection! I wish something nicer would open on the east side of town. Around the 12th/Classen Area
    Yeah, based on what I've heard, the Perfect Swing at Hwy 9 intersection with 77/Classen/12th/Sooner will become a Wal-Mart eventually... plus a Lowe's to be built nearby as well. That may be why no other grocery store is going up in the area yet.

When do those projects expect to begin?

11. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Yeah, based on what I've heard, the Perfect Swing at Hwy 9 intersection with 77/Classen/12th/Sooner will become a Wal-Mart eventually... plus a Lowe's to be built nearby as well. That may be why no other grocery store is going up in the area yet.
    Is Perfect Swing closed completely now? Drove by the other day and it didn't look open anymore.

We definitely need someone new on this side of town besides Walmart and Homeland, especially with how much is being built out on this side of town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States Plenty of options out there...if only someone would finally come here that isn't in the area yet.

The May storms last year about took out Perfect Swing, surprised they didnt just close it down then

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    You are correct, coming soon to the Hwy 9 & Hwy 77 area, Walmart Super Center and Lowe's, the present Walmart on 12th street NE will close, may re-open as a Sam's.

The May storms last year about took out Perfect Swing, surprised they didnt just close it down then
    Perfect has three strikes against it, the storms, opening of Andy Alligators, and an out-of-state owner.

Why would they close the 12th street store! Norman should be able to support 3 stores. By closing the 12th will leave that area of town with nothing!

Why would they close the 12th street store! Norman should be able to support 3 stores. By closing the 12th will leave that area of town with nothing!
    It's less than two miles away, shouldn't be a problem, and Norman is not large enough to handle three stores.

17. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

As others have said, it isn't that far away. Honestly, it would be a blessing to have it moved to an area that can handle the traffic. I only hope that they upgrade Hwy 9 from 77 to 24th SE to make it 4 lanes instead of the current 2. For people that live north of Robinson would just have to drive south a bit more. Similar to those of us who are south of Lindsey currently. The hope at least though...that the location is as nice (or much nicer) than the west side Walmart with increased selection and a better layout.

I do question the ability to have a 2nd Sam's Club in Norman though, that seems a bit overkill. That area though would need something big to go in to keep the area from being hurt too much. All the businesses in the strip mall in that area would be hurt without the traffic from Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    It's less than two miles away, shouldn't be a problem, and Norman is not large enough to handle three stores.
    actually its 3.5 miles aways .. and over 5 miles from the new neighborhoods on the northeast side of norman ..

Any idea exactly where these will be built? I didnt see any land in their names around that area?

20. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

Any official confirmation on the 12 Ave. Wal-Mart Supercenter closing? Not that it matters to me anyway, I don't go there much, the quality of the produce is very bad, and there is a very clear difference in not only the quality. but also the choices between the east and west side Wal-Marts.

Homeland can be expensive, but you get what you pay for. The Homeland on the east side (Alameda) has some of the best produce I've seen in Norman (other than the S-Target). And now we also have the Farm Market, but that's of course seasonal.

I wonder how long that supercenter would remain vacant if Walmart doesn't turn it into a Sam's Club.

I would think Norman would be able to support 3 Supercenters.

23. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I wonder how long that supercenter would remain vacant if Walmart doesn't turn it into a Sam's Club.
    Probably for awhile and the rest of the area would be hurt by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Norman could, but the locations would have to change. If they do a location on Hwy 9, that also supports people in Noble. They could possibly put a new one in North central Norman then say up on Rock Creek or Tecumseh.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    actually its 3.5 miles aways .. and over 5 miles from the new neighborhoods on the northeast side of norman ..
    Don't forget all the new neighborhoods on the southeast side of Norman as well...so it just depends. As I said earlier, the support from Noble as well is also a plus for moving it to Hwy 9.

the distance from hwy 9 to the current 12th...is about equal to the distance between the 35 and 12th. So I think all three could be supported. Like verture79 said, the Noble/South Norman Population will support it. But I agree, the if the 12th street is goign to stay open, it either would need to expand/renovate or do something, It would be the lowest end of the stores causing customers to go to another one juts because of the quality

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    It would be 3 supercenters and a Super Target on the north side side.

Thread Information