Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crest coming to Norman

Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

To add to the debate of Walmart - Broken Arrow supports three walmart supercenters and a neighborhood market, while in close proximity to the coweta and south Tulsa walmarts.

2. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

Quote Originally Posted by EricGarcia View Post
    To add to the debate of Walmart - Broken Arrow supports three walmart supercenters and a neighborhood market, while in close proximity to the coweta and south Tulsa walmarts.
    Yeah...there really isn't any argument that can be substantiated that Norman can't support a 3rd Walmart if the basis of that is population. Of course, someone underestimated the people by over 50% so perhaps people don't really understand that it is is Oklahoma's third largest city of well over 100,000 people.

Any update on any of these stores starting to build?

The area at the corner of SE 24th and HWY 9 appears to have a crop of some sort on it. If that means anything about the "dirt work to start this summer" claim. I hope not, as I really want a south side walmart.

I dont see any property in their name around there yet. Maybe this is normal

I'm told an announcement could be coming within the next 3--4 weeks, Walmart and Lowe's with several out parcels (probably fast food). It has been delayed because the Perfect Swing Property recently became available. Crest is looking at property in UNP.

I hope so! How long does the usual new Walmart construction take?

Quote Originally Posted by EricGarcia View Post
    It surely reflects that Broken Arrow has more families with children than Norman does. Remember, unlike Broken Arrow, Norman has up to 30,000 college students.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It surely reflects that Broken Arrow has more families with children than Norman does. Remember, unlike Broken Arrow, Norman has up to 30,000 college students.
    So college students don't spend money at retail establishments. Out of those 30,000 students only 4,000 have meal plans and interestingly enough just over the city limits of BA and Tulsa a Super Target is located at 71st and Garrett. With communities such as Nobel and points south there would be no problem supporting another WalMart that close.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFiggins View Post
    So college students don't spend money at retail establishments. Out of those 30,000 students only 4,000 have meal plans and interestingly enough just over the city limits of BA and Tulsa a Super Target is located at 71st and Garrett. With communities such as Nobel and points south there would be no problem supporting another WalMart that close.
    I would say having 30,000 students, which I dont think are included in the 110k population since they are temporary residents, would help retail as most of them have a credit card in their parents name...so they feel the need to go on shopping sprees whenever

Quote Originally Posted by okcfollower View Post
    I would say having 30,000 students, which I dont think are included in the 110k population since they are temporary residents, would help retail as most of them have a credit card in their parents name...so they feel the need to go on shopping sprees whenever
    College students living away from home receive their own census questionaires. Who knows how many fill them out or if they get double counted as living at home. They are supposed to be counted as living in their city of residence even if it's temporary.

http://2010.census.gov/campus/

Any new news on the new Crest or Walmart?

13. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

Haven't heard a peep down here.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFiggins View Post
    Let's see how OU students apparently bring the income down in Norman and compared to Broken Arrow:

In Broken Arrow the estimated median household income in 2009 was $64,534. In Norman only $45,143.
    In Broken Arrow the per capita income in 2009 was $27,238. In Norman only $25,244.

In Broken Arrow estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $152,600. In Norman: $145,700. This implies that homes may be bigger in Broken Arrow, further implying more household goods are needed from a Wal-Mart or Target.

(Source for figures: city-data.com)

Let's see how OU students apparently bring the income down in Norman and compared to Broken Arrow:

In Broken Arrow the estimated median household income in 2009 was $64,534. In Norman only $45,143.
    In Broken Arrow the per capita income in 2009 was $27,238. In Norman only $25,244.

In Broken Arrow estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $152,600. In Norman: $145,700. This implies that homes may be bigger in Broken Arrow, further implying more household goods are needed from a Wal-Mart or Target.

(Source for figures: city-data.com)
    The vast majority of students do not count towards this data.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82 View Post
    The vast majority of students do not count towards this data.
    Then what can account for the much lower income in Norman, if it can't be OU students? Is good pay at OU hard to come by?

Then what can account for the much lower income in Norman, if it can't be OU students? Is good pay at OU hard to come by?
    Assuming that US Census data is being used, the students are counted.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1525/cen...-to-count-them

"Where should college students be counted in the 2010 Census -- at their parents' home or their school address? The Census Bureau has a cut-and-dried answer, but this question recurs each decade because census rules and people's preferences are not always in sync.

The 2010 Census operates on the idea that people should be counted at their usual address. According to census rules, people should be counted ("enumerated," in census-speak) at a residence if they:

Live or stay at the residence most of the time.
    Stayed there on April 1, 2010 and had no permanent place to live.
    Stay at the residence more time than any other place they might live or stay.
    That means most college students should be counted at their college address, either on campus or off campus. They should be counted at their parents' home only if they live and sleep there most of the year."

The only comeback to the above would be the assumption that a significantly high percentage of OU students were not counted in the census, because they thought the census form was just a load a pure bs and could not be bothered with filling them out. And this probably also assumes that census workers didn't do much to follow up.

The only comeback to the above would be the assumption that a significantly high percentage of OU students were not counted in the census, because they thought the census form was just a load a pure bs and could not be bothered with filling them out. And this probably also assumes that census workers didn't do much to follow up.
    That could be true of any segment of the population. But I agree that ensuring an accurate count where college students are concerned is iffy. I was just passing along the official position on how they should be counted.

Quote Originally Posted by okcfollower View Post
    Where have you been? College students have been included in a college town's census ever since the year 1950. That was the year when Norman population had skyrocketed from 11,429 in 1940 to 27,006.

Where have you been? College students have been included in a college town's census ever since the year 1950. That was the year when Norman population had skyrocketed from 11,429 in 1940 to 27,006.
    I was referring to the fact that I feel like a lot of them are not counted as they dont turn it in. And sorry I havent been around since 1950 to notice the difference. Ive only seen two decades here

I used to work at PS. Owner basically let everyone go a little while after the May '10 tornado. Driven by a couple of times the past few months, place needs to be cleared for some new development as it looks like it isn't really doing anything other than getting old. Anyone heard any news about new developments in this area?

23. Default Re: Crest coming to Norman

No kidding. Is Crest still coming to UNP? I am starting to think that this is like every other development at that place and Moore has stolen it away.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    No kidding. Is Crest still coming to UNP? I am starting to think that this is like every other development at that place and Moore has stolen it away.
    Yes Crest is still planning on opening a new store at UNP. Have been told they are negotiating a land lease contract and that an announcement should be made very soon.

I'd rather see Norman get a Walmart Neighborhood Market on the SE side than another Supercenter. It's amazing how fast that area is growing especially being so far from 35. Love what they have planned for Cedar Lane with the sidewalks and bike lanes.

Thread Information