Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Default Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

I keep a list of restaurants that I want to hit in case I happen to be in different parts of town or when my wife and I get a date night. I'm wondering which ones are not worth the effort.

I'll start - I was disappointed in Nona's in Bricktown and judging by the crowds, I think others are disappointed as well. I think in theory, it's really cool to sit on the balcony upstairs....but, the service and food have not been so great and all at really inflated prices. Just my opinion.

Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

My friends talked up Kyles 1025 (formerly Charlie Newton's) so I gave it a try last Friday night. I found it to be extremely average at best.

Pachinko Parlor and Opus.

This thread may have some info for you too: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=22726

I would say Teds but the few times I've been there recently have been really good.. The food is still RIDICULOUSLY expensive but the food has been worth it lately. Keeping it mexican, Abuelos is NOT worth it. Both locations suck, the one on memorial and the one downtown...

Nomad, ate there a long time ago before moving to the area. From my experience there, I can't believe it's still open. Worst Italian food I ever tasted. This one was on May. Isn't there a Nomad 1 2 and 3? ugh!

I agree that Nomad is not great Italian food, but their pizza is pretty freaking good. That's all I ever eat there.

As far as disappointment in restaurants, I'll say Ted's.

I actually like Teds, but I have only been to the one on Danforth in Edmond. May not be the best, being I am no expert on Mexican food, but I like it. But I will tell you this, I have never had better service anywhere. That Teds is awesome in the service department. Make me feel like a celebrity every time I go.

Iguana. For the most part the food is good but the service sucks pretty much 80% of the time.

9. Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Nonna's was a big disappointment for me, and it's not a good value either. Went to Pachinko once, WANTED to love it, but barely liked it. Haven't been back.

Another disspointemnt was Falcones. Their Subs have Mayo (True Italian subs aren't served with mayo) and everything tasted old like it was all pre prepared. This was the location on May. The one in Midwest city was just barely okay with their Pizza. I will never go back.

Falcones had maybe one or two shining years, the original May location and I believe Falcone himself was there making the pizzas.

Then they were taken over by Chuck E Cheese and the rest is history.

Classen Grill, it was rated very high on Urban Spoon, it was a very dirty and overpriced and the food was nothing to brag about compared to Ihop.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Classen Grill, it was rated very high on Urban Spoon, it was a very dirty and overpriced and the food was nothing to brag about compared to Ihop.
    I totally disagree that it is overpriced... There are plenty of items on there menu where you can get out for a breakfast for under $5.00. However; yes, their specials are more pricey...as they should be...

I ALSO totally disagree that it is dirty... From my friends & clients that I have run into there... It must not be that bad. and judging from the cars in the parking lot, you are way more into the look of the outside of the establishement than the actual food.

And if you have any thoughts whatsoever that IHOP is even in the same category as Classen grill then you have no business commenting on ANYTHING that resembles a serious thread again....

I like Classen Grill but it ain't much to look at inside or out

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I like Classen Grill but it ain't much to look at inside or out
    I'm not judging a place by the way it looks... I go to a resuarant to eat food...

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    I'm not judging a place by the way it looks... I go to a resuarant to eat food...
    I agree that food is the focus, Puppet. But many people also enjoy eating at a place with a nice atmosphere. It just depends on what your purpose is. If you're only looking for a good meal for yourself or your family, the surroundings may not be that important. If you're trying to impress a date or a business client the atmosphere of the restaurant can be just as important as the food.

I LOVE CLASSEN GRILL! Best nachos in Oklahoma. Chicken fried steak is better than Ann's IMO too.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    Same here...just trying to stick up a little for the poster that called it dirty

Some of the best restaurants in the metro are *dirty*

19. Default Re: Which OKC area restaurant disappointed you the most?

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I agree 100%. I actually bought three of their $25 Bite of OKC gift certificates. I hadn't been there in years but had fond memories of it being a great local spot for breakfast and fresh squeezed OJ.

On our first trip with another couple we all agreed it was mediocre at best and the OJ was served room temp to warm with no ice (yuck). The couple with us had no desire to return.

We went back with our teenager a few weeks later thinking maybe we just had an off moment. Nope - service was terrible, and the food was pretty bland to bad.

Tried to give our last coupon to the kid thinking he might take his girlfriend or something for a free meal. He didn't want it, saying she definitely wouldn't have liked it. I'd rather let it expire than go through another visit.

I wouldn't call the place dirty - old maybe.

And yes, I'd go to IHOP before ever returning to Classen Grill. At least they have 1-2 items I can choke down.

Some people may like it just fine, but I compare it to Cattleman's. People flock there because they don't know any better and they are buying into the nostalgia.

Interesting discussion.

I would strongly disagree with anyone defending Classen Grill as being anything more than a shadow of its former self at this point. It doesn't surprise me to see a poster calling it dirty, because it is. It's a greasy spoon, so I don't expect clinical orderliness, but on the few occassions I've been over the past couple years, I've noticed enough problems that I've removed the place from my personal list. If I'm going to pay for mediocre breakfast food, I expect at the very least to be eating from a clean plate with clean utensils.

Comparing it to the IHOP across the road is not some great travesty. In all likelihood, the kitchen staff busting their ass in that IHOP are good cooks doing the best they can with what they have. I have left Classen Grill with the opposite impression every time I've gone in the past two years. It's local, and with the right people it could be great, but let's be honest - it sucks.

Places that have good reputations, but don't do much for me:

-Big Truck Tacos

The tacos get bigger every time I visit. It's unappealing, and difficult to eat as a result. They may as well start serving cups of taco filling with an optional dish of tortillas. I had a great short rib taco here last year. It has all been downhill since.

-Sushi Neko

People, we can do better than this.

-Redrock

Has the feel of a chain - from food to service.

-Zorba's

Everyone I know thinks this place is a travesty, yet it goes on, day after day with a full dining room.

-Saii

Run away.

It's name isn't all that important I suppose. But it's not far from the Oklahoma City Arena and just a bit off the new Oklahoma City Boulevard, not very far from the Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It had something to do with some diet the Oklahoma City mayor was on. Not near enough meat and cheese in that taco. But I guess maybe that's just some Oklahoma City thing.

Teds was a big let down, There signiture dish is a cheese enchilada with rice and beans lol, that is more like taco bell food, there is really nothing mexican about this place except the overly produced mexican-american decorations

My friend's and I are kind of foodie's... the other day we were wondering why we never think to go to Rococo. Went there last week and remembered why I always forget about it. They're priced like Metro but is way below the level of Metro, Stella, Cheevers etc.

Am also not impressed with 1492.

Ted's - Tastes like every other "Mexican" joint in OKC (the potato side dish is pretty tasty though).
    1492 - Food was just OK, nothing special.
    Queen of Sheeba - A bunch of friends rave about this place, but I find it nearly inedible.

I will echo the Ted's nomination and add Chileno's to the list (my coworkers really talked it up).

Also, Earl's. Ugh.

Thread Information