Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Academy of Contemporary Music (Okla. Hardware Building)

Bricktown3 Academy of Contemporary Music (Okla. Hardware Building)

[template=]
    development
    |category1=Bricktown
    |category2=Buildings with Retail Space
    |category3=Schools
    |category4=
    |
    |project=
    |address=29 E. California
    |status=
    |owner= University of Central Oklahoma
    |cost=
    |architect=
    |start=
    |finish=
    |contractor=
    |height= 4 stories
    |sq. feet=55,892
    |acerage=.3
    |other=
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]

Description

Enter description here.
    Information & Latest News

Links

County Assessors Record
    Property Website
    School website
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acm3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	1663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acm5.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	1664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acm6.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	1665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acm7.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1666  
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Oklahoma is getting its own school of rock.

The University of Central Oklahoma will open the first authorized U.S. version of Britain’s prestigious Academy of Contemporary Music on the fourth floor of Bricktown’s Oklahoma Hardware Building in the fall of 2009.

Scott Booker, manager of the internationally known Oklahoma City-based alternative rock band the Flaming Lips, will serve as the school’s executive director.

"This is perhaps as creative and exciting a venture as I’ve ever been involved with in my experience in higher ed,” said UCO President W. Roger Webb.

The partnership with Britain’s award-winning academy will enable UCO to offer a range of hands-on learning experiences in the performance, production and business sides of the music industry. Initially the school will be funded through tuition, which will be higher than normal tuition fees, pending approval by the state board of regents, Webb said. Sponsorships from music industry businesses, such as musical equipment manufacturers, are expected to lend additional support in the future, the UCO president said.

Booker, who was instrumental in bringing British ACM officials and UCO administrators together, said the school would be a boon not only to aspiring music professionals, but the growing Oklahoma music scene as well.

"I’ve always been incredibly supportive of trying to do what I can for the music industry here,” said Booker, himself a UCO graduate and owner of Hellfire Enterprises, which manages the Lips and several other national and international acts. "I think it’s good for the state to be seen as internationally minded,” he said.

UCO tops the chart
    British ACM National Business Manager Steve Lavington said other universities were considered for a U.S. partnership, but none were "as forward-thinking as UCO. We need forward-thinking people to adopt this model because it is a little bit out of the norm.”
    "We work very closely with record companies, publishers, artist managers, etc., to place people into industry and have a very high success rate of doing that,” Lavington said.

Webb expects the first class to accommodate 150 students who will be required to audition for acceptance. Scholarships will be available to qualifying applicants. Tryouts are expected to begin in January or February. The initial teaching staff will be made up of about 15 people with professional experience in the music business, he said.

Upon the regents’ approval, the school would offer a two-year associate of applied science degree, the first such degree offered by UCO.

The Bricktown space will be occupied on a lease basis.

Contributing: Staff Writers Susan Simpson and

Steve Lackmeyer.

This should be great for Bricktown.....and the Biting Sow

No pay doesn’t skip a beat for ‘school of rock’ teacher
    Comments 0BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: October 9, 2008

French Hickman is hoping to add music instructor to his resume, even if the gig pays no money.
    The Bricktown’s Oklahoma Hardware Building’s owner, whose alter ego is Doc Blues, "harmonica player extraordinaire,” is celebrating a deal with the University of Central Oklahoma that will result in the opening of the first authorized U.S. version of England’s prestigious Academy of Contemporary of Music. The deal calls for the "school of rock” to open on the fourth floor of Hickman’s canal-front property by autumn 2009.

"I’ve pledged to UCO I will do anything I can to help,” said Hickman, who regularly performs two doors down at the Biting Sow. "I’ve even volunteered to be on the staff at zero pay.”

Hickman said negotiations have been under way for weeks, with representatives of the London school conducting at least two tours. The deal may also include the Biting Sow as a daytime performance stage for the new school’s estimated 150 students.

"The Brits went to the Biting Sow and saw how you could just walk down the sidewalk and perform there,” Hickman said. "They just loved it.”

Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association, was among those surprised by the deal — and applauding it as an important step in the district’s evolution.

"Our long-term goal is to have more businesses and tenants that complement each other instead of competing,” Cowan said. "With this, it’s so unique, it has music and art — it’s really a dream come true.”

Cowan said the district values its tourism trade, but has been looking for additions that would ensure the district remains a year-round destination for locals.

"This just sends a message that we’re not done yet,” Cowan said. "As well as things are going right now, there’s a lot more to come.”

We're going to be giving Austin and Nashville a run for their money in the live-music category it seems.

Oklahomans are, however, going to need to open themselves up to more than just crappy cover bands for this to really take off.

This is really cool. This will make OKC stand out. I am impressed.

6. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by circuitboard View Post
    This is really cool. This will make OKC stand out. I am impressed.
    Really? Cause I'm betting no one really ever hears about it. I have to say I'm not surprised that UCO is the one that went for it. Their school of music tends to go with the options not generally traveled....and it hasn't always served them well.

I think you will hear a lot about it! This is a big deal and if Scott Booker is involved, it will be out there and in the news.

8. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    British ACM National Business Manager Steve Lavington said other universities were considered for a U.S. partnership, but none were "as forward-thinking as UCO. We need forward-thinking people to adopt this model because it is a little bit out of the norm.”
    Not bad. UCO really is doing a lot to move towards being a third major college in the state, and this is huge.

It's on the front page of their website: The Academy of Contemporary Music

And here's some pics of their facility in the UK.

9. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Really? Cause I'm betting no one really ever hears about it.
    Are you saying it doesn't end up happening, or it doesn't amount to anything?

Oh, also, according to BBC, the UK school has 1200 students. That would have a huge impact on downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Really? Cause I'm betting no one really ever hears about it. I have to say I'm not surprised that UCO is the one that went for it. Their school of music tends to go with the options not generally traveled....and it hasn't always served them well.
    Care to elaborate?

Has the jazz lab been a failure in your eyes? I know there has been some upheaval among the faculty at the music school, but that has just been par for the course recently.

This could be big on many levels.

1) The program is well regarded internationally and the organization has a very good track record.

2) This could attract a lot of talent that, even if not retained in the long term, will add a lot in terms of entertainment and music options in the city. These students will no doubt be forming their own groups and bands to play around town outside of the curriculum.

3) This could help retain a lot of the talent we do have as it gives them a choice to pursue the development of their talent at home.

4) #2 and #3 could help make Oklahoma City a recruiting ground for talent, which means they have to perform. This will increase the talent level in our venues, create more interest in the general populace as it becomes a matter of pride, and elevate Oklahoma City's music scene in general beyond what it is today. While Oklahoma City and Norman are full of many bands that do great original work, the interest and support isn't quite what it needs to be to maintain a healthy local industry. How often do local bands have to gain recognition elsewhere before they are respected here? This can change that merely by changing the perception that it's not worth it to take a chance with your $5 cover to see a local band you may never have heard of before.

5) It is being placed in a very conspicuous location that will be a point of interest. Visitors will be asking about it and will elevate our cultural image. What would be even greater is if, as it begins to grow, it began occupying more space around bricktown, making bricktown its de facto campus, much like the historic part of Savannah Georgia is the de facto campus for Savannah College of Art and Design.

6) If it does grow, the students themselves will become an important part of our cultural consumer base. This could spill over into better support for all local arts including film, visual media, and, of course, music. They will actually help us attract and maintain more entertainment and artistic options in the future.

Basically, they want to start with 150 students who have to try out and qualify. These will be skilled musicians who have real aspirations of making a career of their talents. I don't think the positive effect of bringing in an additional 150 skilled musicians to the market can be overstated. And that's just where they are starting.

I just hope they have the foresight to limit French Hickman's involvement to land lord and venue host.

12. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Great post BDP. The location they chose is indeed fortunate. They could have gone with something in the suburbs or elsewhere with little visibility. Hopefully they will have a big sign on the building like the UK location does.

This is amazing! I coudln't be more excited. I've always felt OKC could really be a frontrunner in the music industry - now we are one step closer.

MadMonk Guest

That's a pretty cool idea! Thanks for bringing it to our attention Metro.

Is it going in where the Makers Jazz Club is? I love that bar. Is it still open?

Fantastic idea and kudos for UCO for thinking outside the box.

I immediately thought of Berklee in Boston, as I used to visit a friend that lived near that school and I always thought it really made the whole area feel alive and hip. Lots of students with instruments hanging around at the local coffee shops and restaurants... Was a fantastic vibe.

Would love to see more of this type of thing in the field of design, art, etc.

17. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Is it going in where the Makers Jazz Club is? I love that bar. Is it still open?
    This is going on the 4th floor. Won't affect Makers, except give them new talent for live music nights.

18. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

This project is amazing ... it has the potential to elevate "Bricktown" into much more than a local, regional, or even national status ... we're talking "international" here, if I understand it correctly. Really really big time, and a very substantial "expansion" of the "concept" of Bricktown's perception to a much wider scope, well beyond eats & drinks and movies. Couple this with the hoped for Mickey Mantle Museum and other arts kinds of things and the "entrenchment" of Bricktown just grows and grows.

This is also remarkable, given what is going on with Wall Street, etc. Maybe Forbes was right ... recession proof? I'm keeping my fingers crossed about that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    5) It is being placed in a very conspicuous location that will be a point of interest. Visitors will be asking about it and will elevate our cultural image. What would be even greater is if, as it begins to grow, it began occupying more space around bricktown, making bricktown its de facto campus, much like the historic part of Savannah Georgia is the de facto campus for Savannah College of Art and Design.
    It amazed me that SCAD was scattered all over downtown Savannah, in storefronts all over. The Architecture and Furniture schools were in an old rail warehouse that were pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I immediately thought of Berklee in Boston, as I used to visit a friend that lived near that school and I always thought it really made the whole area feel alive and hip. Lots of students with instruments hanging around at the local coffee shops and restaurants... Was a fantastic vibe.
    The Fenway/Back Bay areas are nice, I know that Berklee holds some classes in The Boston Architectural College building during the day which is pretty close by in Back Bay.

Just had a thought: What if they can intermingle(sp?) the Banjo Museum being put in right now too. I think that would be a great double dose of Bricktown.

22. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

This is soooooo awesome! woot! I'm extremely thrilled about this...

Chances are my kids will elect to stay in OK for college... I've heard rumblings regarding leaving... this is so perfect.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

23. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Not my intention to diss UCO midtowner. Jazz is definitely their thing, they own Oklahoma on Jazz. They struggle in the more traditional music areas. I think they get ignored more than they should because it's not OU or OSU. They're doing MUCH better than TU could ever dream, but the traditional music programs aren't as strong as they should be. The staff has really been working hard to push towards improvement...and have absolutely made progress.

That's why I'm saying it doesnt surprise me that it is UCO taking it on. The other schools are focussed more on the traditional orchestra/choir/band world whereas since UCO is focussed more on Jazz, it's a more natural move for them.

Now we have to be honest though, do we expect 1200 students there, I don't think anyone does. I'm sure we can make a respectible number, but they're going to need to grow into a lot more space to really be a place that makes a name for itself. It's a more fad type endeavour, so I'm going to hold off the super awe struck feeling until it really makes it. Then I'll be cheering them on like crazy.

24. Default Re: UCO to open School of Rock in Bricktown

Well they already have a name for themselves. If they were just starting up something like the Academy of Contemporary Music, I would agree, but this IS the Academy of Contemporary Music USA. Sure it will have to grow over time, but I would expect it to happen pretty fast.

I honestly don't think it needs anywhere near 1200 students to make an impact and I highly doubt that's what they expect, as that's the number at their flagship program.

If they can get 150 their first year, that will make a difference. Honestly, even if it wasn't an ACM project, it could make a difference as long as it had competent instruction.

The music industry is vastly different than it was even 10 years ago. The focus now is on independence. A program like this can not only teach them better skills at their craft, but educate them as to how to manage their craft on their own in order to make it a living.

Now, even at 150 students, that would be a significant influx of talent from across the region. If they get 150 every year as well, that's 300 students at any given point in the two year program. IMO, that would create a significant and noticeable difference in both our local music scene and in the creation of industry businesses. Even if we retain only a small percentage of students year after year, our talent pool will still grow significantly as will the competence of the people involved in our music scene.

Also, our economics play into this nicely. Many may soon realize that Oklahoma City is a nice home base for an artist due to it's cheap living and central location. Honestly, as has been the case with our fair city on many levels, it may only be the perception of ourselves that holds it back. 5 Years ago we did not think of ourselves as an NBA town. Now we sell out season tickets to our own team. If just the presence of this program makes us begin thinking of ourselves as a music town as well... well, then the potential could be great.

We have another thread discussing the lack of a marquee theater size venue to draw in good touring acts. Now we will have people in our own backyard learning how to promotes shows, produce quality performances, and run their own music businesses. This may very well lead to the creation of such a venue of just plain better management of the ones we have with the potential to fill that void. Who knows, maybe even the school will start up a student run venue to give them some hands on music promotion experience. You never know.

Really, right now it is a blank slate backed by a good brand and created by competent and experienced people with solid connections. The only thing that can derail it is lack of support and lack of vision, imo.

Thread Information