Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Onion Rings?

Default Best Onion Rings?

Not talking about size but what are the best tasting ones. Have found several places that have huge ones that look amazing but have no flavor to them at all. As with just about any fried food, the secret is in the batter/breading. When all they do is dip it in flour with out any seasoning etc, it ruins it.

Used to love the blooming onion and the like at the steak places, but they are priced out of reach.

There used to be a mom & pop place over in Norman (ling gone) that had great tasting ones that were affordable too.

Have found some rather decent tasting ones at Western Sizzlin of all places.

2. Default Re: Best Onion Rings?

I love the one's in Edmond at the Cow Calf-Hay. Really good and the sauce they give with them is tasty too.

Default Re: Best Onion Rings?

Charcoal Oven, hands down.

Johnnie's and Charcoal Oven are good. Boomerang has similiar onion rings that are good. There does not seem to be a lot of fresh hand breaded onion rings anymore. Most places seem to use frozen onion rings these days.

Bigray in Ok

Don't laugh until you try it, but the grill at H&H Gun Range. Get an onion fried burger and rings. And a breath mint.

Original Johnnies for sure! I love sonics onion rings as well.

7. Default Re: Best Onion Rings?

I second the Cow Calf-Hay's rings...very good.

Coits has amazing onion rings

Red Robin

Love the thin ones at the stables in Guthrie....incredible flavor and texture....and you get a sht load!!

In OKC...I have to vote for Charcoal Oven as well...

As for the other places reccomended...Now, I have to go taste all theirs....thanks!! lol

Thanks for all the suggestions. Other than Johnnies (which were amazing size) they were completely bland the 3 times I tried them (NW Exprswy), I have never been to the others or if I have, havent tried the rings. LOVE the "Cow Calf-Hay's" name but I don't get up to Edmond very much (knowing that it is from the City Bites crowd and the former "Mad Cow" concept I am sure they are good. I know I should be ashamed to admit it, being a native OKCitian and all, but I have never been to Charcoal Oven (live nearby and drive by it often). Will need to rectify that (maybe this weekend)!

They aren't rings, but I like the fried onions at S&B's Burger Joint.

For rings I have to agree on Boomerangs, but for something a little different try the shoestring fried onions at the BBQ place on Britton just west of Johnnies. They are sliced super thin and battered and fried. I think the name is Dry Bones or something like that. They are worth the price of the meal.

For years I heard how good Johnnie's onion rings were but when I tried them I was very disappointed. Pretty much ZERO flavor.!!!

Even though they are a chain, Whataburger has some of the best onion rings out there.

Lord Helmet Guest

Johnnie's are best. No question. Especially dipped in Johnnie's Sauce.

Charcoal oven also has an amazing cheeseburger. I love their hickory sauce.

chuck house

Try the rings at Steves rib in edmond. They're solid. Everything at johnnies is grossly over rated.

19. Default Re: Best Onion Rings?

I love Johnnie's onion rings, but we ate at Stables Saturday night and their onion rings are to die for, and you get more than you can eat. The place was packed and the dinner was really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by tsou89 View Post
    Everything at johnnies is grossly over rated.
    Well you know what they say opinions are like because everyone has one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Well you know what they say opinions are like because everyone has one. LOL
    I agree - as someone who is not originally from the area and has no nostalgia about Johnnies - it's nothing special. And the service is so deadpan I just don't get why people like the place.

Quote Originally Posted by tsou89 View Post
    Try the rings at Steves rib in edmond. They're solid. Everything at johnnies is grossly over rated.
    I just had them this past week and they were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I love Johnnie's onion rings, but we ate at Stables Saturday night and their onion rings are to die for, and you get more than you can eat. The place was packed and the dinner was really good too.
    Not familiar with Stables. Where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Not familiar with Stables. Where is it?
    It's on Division in Guthrie. Coming on I-35 from OKC, take the first Guthrie exit and head to downtown and you will run across it.

Thats what I was afraid of when I did a google search...extremely rare that I get up to Guthrie

The Stables is worth the drive. I usually hit the place when I go to Guthrie's Territorial Christmas celebration.

Thread Information