Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 79 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage Center

Default Re: Stage Center

think it is delayed but should be completed soon?

Dear Powerball Random Number Generator,

We could be heroes if your dials spin right.

Just Sayin',

Odd Theater Fan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    If it is truly not looking very good for the Stage Center, that doesn't prevent any of you guys from having your say about it and taking the issue up. I have yet to see this issue taken up publicly, although I'm well aware that it has been analyzed at the higher echelons.

Did the study come back yet, or is it still being compiled?
    Is there an analysis forthcoming? Cost of remediation, update, potential cash flow analysis, etc.? Any chance that would be made public?

Yes, the city commissioned it back when it was first damaged by the flood waters..I forget how many months ago. I was still in OKC.

Think the study was mentioned either in Steve's Oklahoman article or over in the Gazette, but I don't have the links to either.

This April 2011 KFOR article says the new Stage Center study should be completed within five months.http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-...0,319058.story

I was told by someone who worked on the feasibility plan that it would take $26 million to get Stage Center up to date. He also said his group who will be partnering with a group out of Atlanta were trying to get the listing and that if they received the listing they would aim at bull dozing the place and building again. My friend is a strict preservationist but he said this is a case of where its just way too much money to try and preserve the building and the best thing to do is just bull doze it and start over. Will see what happens but it sounds like there is a real interest in making this lot something grand.

If it does get scraped, it might make sense to relocate the theater center and find the highest and best use for that land.

It would be a fantastic site for high-rise condos.

Blog Entries

While I think high-rise condos would be GREAT there, it would be nice if the future developer were sensitive to that locations integration into the arts festival and included a space in the site plan that could be utilized by the festival when it comes around.

I mean, referencing your picture from the myriad thread, which clearly shows the arts festival booths being setup...

Can you imagine if the whole block that Stage Center sits on became unavailable to the festival? Would really mess up the "floor plan"... although, perhaps in a few years the festival is moved closer to central park and it doesn't matter? Just thinking out loud about this...

Quote Originally Posted by oakhollow View Post
    I was told by someone who worked on the feasibility plan that it would take $26 million to get Stage Center up to date. He also said his group who will be partnering with a group out of Atlanta were trying to get the listing and that if they received the listing they would aim at bull dozing the place and building again. My friend is a strict preservationist but he said this is a case of where its just way too much money to try and preserve the building and the best thing to do is just bull doze it and start over. Will see what happens but it sounds like there is a real interest in making this lot something grand.
    The problem is that it is already something grand. And unique. It is totally insane that this is even happening.

The reason it is likely to be razed is that there isn't anyone with money and influence to take up it's cause.

I don't even sense the same type of grass roots concern that surrounded the SandRidge demolitions.

Seems some are passionate about the place but most are indifferent at best.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    While I think high-rise condos would be GREAT there, it would be nice if the future developer were sensitive to that locations integration into the arts festival and included a space in the site plan that could be utilized by the festival when it comes around.

I mean, referencing your picture from the myriad thread, which clearly shows the arts festival booths being setup...

Can you imagine if the whole block that Stage Center sits on became unavailable to the festival? Would really mess up the "floor plan"... although, perhaps in a few years the festival is moved closer to central park and it doesn't matter? Just thinking out loud about this...
    I wouldn't be surprised if Preftakes or Devon buys this land when the city approves for the Stage Center to be demolished, and it would be a great location for mixed-use development.

If the Ford site group was serious about doing a development on their property (soon to be commandeered for the convention center) this site would be a good substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The reason it is likely to be razed is that there isn't anyone with money and influence to take up it's cause.
    Which is good news because people with money and influence will probably use that site to actualy make money and turn it into something desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    If the Ford site group was serious about doing a development on their property (soon to be commandeered for the convention center) this site would be a good substitute.
    Except it is about 1/6 the size of the Ford site.

It's still over 3 acres and plenty big enough for a substantial development of any type.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Except it is about 1/6 the size of the Ford site.
    Good. That way they must go UP, not OUT.

But, I don't think the Ford Site group was serious as they had no real plans, just thoughts about what MIGHT go there. If they would have actually had plans, I doubt the CC would be going there.

18. Default Re: Stage Center

I can't believe this conversation is seriously taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Good. That way they must go UP, not OUT.

But, I don't think the Ford Site group was serious as they had no real plans, just thoughts about what MIGHT go there. If they would have actually had plans, I doubt the CC would be going there.
    I'm all for up, not out (or down) - but if given the choice between spending and risking millions, or doing nothing and collecting $50 million, I'll take the $50 million.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I can't believe this conversation is seriously taking place.
    LOL - Do't tell me you are worried about shadows killing off the plant life the MBG.

21. Default Re: Stage Center

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    LOL - Do't tell me you are worried about shadows killing off the plant life the MBG.
    No, I can't believe we're talking about the destruction of this building with such a cavalier attitude.

22. Default Re: Stage Center

I can't believe we're talking about the destruction of this building with such a cavalier attitude.
    Agreed.

23. Default Re: Stage Center

"I heard..." "I have a friend..." "I was told..." We hear all of that a lot on this forum and that's to be expected; however, I cannot accept that a "strict preservationist" (worth his salt) would claim what you wrote about this particular unique structure. We are talking $30,000,000 to move a power station - but can't match private dollars with a dollar to dollar matching program to reinvent this existing building? Or - anything?

On April 11th of this year you actually started a thread titled "Historical Buildings" and wrote the following:

I am a young guy that absolutely has no attachment to historical buildings downtown. The question I ask is why do people get so upset about historical buildings being torn down? You have blocks of old historical buildings that sit empty and when someone comes in and wants to tear it down and build something new everyone freaks out. What is the big deal?
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...725#post420725

Honestly, someone who doesn't understand the significance of architecture in a historical context - especially in the fabric of the urban environment - loses all credibility on these matters. End of story. That's nothing personal, it's just based on your own posting admitting your lack of understanding.

Johansen's building is not going anywhere as long as some of us have a voice.

Arts Council and others who had a vested interest in the building more or less had their sights set on saving it, until the disastrous floods added another $9-$10 million to the project, and that is just to get the building up to code since the entire electrical system was shut.

Prior to the study I was hearing estimates of about $20-$25 million for a renovation. That is half the cost of the Civic Center overhaul, and for a building that has less than 10% of the seating capacity, and extremely limited event rental space. In other words, little to no means of making money.

As I have always heard, the purpose for that land is to help create an overall "arts" campus so cultural groups and the Gardens can have an interconnected space. The land as I know it is still owned by the Kirkpatrick family and/or Foundation. I am certain they will have a great opinion as to what finally happens to it, IF they choose to sell.

My understanding of the new theatre study was to see if a "new" theatre would be feasible. You can build something from scratch in the same space for less money that you can renovate Stage Center as is.

Like other architectural designs of the time, it is very much an example of "function follows form." An icon, for sure, but an operational nightmare from the bottom up.

We'll have to see how this plays out. If a high-rise ends up there, I'll be very, very surprised. (Just an opinion based on nothing more than a gut feeling. No inside knowledge in that - AT ALL).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    No, I can't believe we're talking about the destruction of this building with such a cavalier attitude.
    It might be an interesting complex to some people, but it is bad urban design no matter who you are. That is probably why there isn't much interest in saving it. It is out of place in a downtown environment.

Thread Information