Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage Center

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stage Center

Agencies like CDC are in a no-win position. If they fail to correctly and adequately notify of dangers then the public will accuse them of being another do-nothing agency and be enraged they didn't foresee a problem. If they do make a warning then they get the accusations you just made. We all hate these kinds of organizations until we want them to protect us.

On this issue, CDC was not my definitive source of info. I did a lot of research over a period of about 2 years and there was a fair amount of corroborating clinical research and case study as to the dangers or potential dangers of black mold. Is it a bigger issue than terrorism...no. Is it something to be summarily dismissed..no to that, as well.

Eradicating black mold can be simple or hard depending on how deeply it has penetrated and where it is. If it is pervasive in drywall and wood studs, it may be necessary to tear out and replace. Ceiling tiles usually are scrapped if mold is found in them. However, sometimes just a good bath with Clorox does the trick. So, the remediation can be simple or extensive. I have no idea in the case of Stage Center. What I do suspect is that the city would err on the side of caution and that would be the position of any insuring agency as well.

I have been under the impression that most of the mold was on the concrete walls in the basement so if that is true I would imagine that it should be relatively easy to remove it or "fix" it in place. I'll keep on a hopin'.

I was there today and spoke to workers and they gave me the impression it was over.. No real confidence in saving this place. I hope it stays, but my gut and area sentiment is not good.

4. Default Re: Stage Center

dead man walking...

5. Default Re: Stage Center

Met with some architects last night. they're not happy

6. Default Re: Stage Center

That's a shame. I've always loved that building. Frankly I think it's more important than the Gold Dome was.

It needs a large corporate sponsor otherwise it's probably a goner.

On the bright side, perhaps the best spot in town for high-rise residential or maybe even a hotel/condo combination tower.

I'm thinking the new convention center hotel will be built on this site!I'd rather see the Stage Center alive and well but it's not and I dont see any investors willing to dump money into it!

9. Default Re: Stage Center

Say...could the Stage Center buildings themselves be RELOCATED? I mean, its design is somewhat modular...

That could be an incredible project for a school of architecture or the like...

That is true for most of it, but the main stage is actually a lot bigger than it looks on the outside. If this is lost, wow...

Blog Entries

Welcome back Spartan.

12. Default Re: Stage Center

Mostly concrete though? I mean, perhaps THAT is where you could get a corporate sponsor. I think you'd have a hard time getting a corporate sponsor to get involved in saving a building in the current location without Devon being directly involved. I don't know if Devon is for or against saving it, but it seems as if they would have already spoken up for doing so if they were. I mean, they're remaking that whole portion of downtown. So, if they aren't motivated, why would another corporation want to get in the middle of it? But, it wouldn't offend anyone if someone assisted in relocation. Heck, maybe even Devon would help pony up for that, if they had other plans for that site. Win for everyone. I don't think the location itself has anything to do with the significance of that particular building.

Blog Entries

It will be a shame to lose this. Unfortunately, it has been on life support for a lllloooonnnngggg time with no white knight. We need to learn that the time to save what is precious is BEFORE the plug is being pulled. The "Save Stage Center" effort needed to start 10 yrs. ago. Now, it looks like it is too late. Updating things and putting them in good repair is much easier and cheaper if it is done regularly. If there are other buildings out there in this situation, we need to identify and do something about them NOW instead of crying when they are gone. It takes a long time to educate everyone on why something is culturally important and why it needs to be saved. When asking for help at the 11th hour, the answers are almost always no.

That said, are there any potential white knights out there for this project? Is anything being done at a grass roots level?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    dead man walking...
    Hate to hear you say this Steve. I think the building is a wonder. I had a friend from New York City visit back in the 80s. He said "you must be very proud to have such a building in your city." OKC received much publicity in architectural circles when the building opened. I'm sure architects will be absolutely dumb-founded if they hear we've let this splendid piece of brutalism architecture be demolished. This building is ten times more important to the architectural fabric of this city than the gold dome, and I "love" the gold dome!

15. Default Re: Stage Center

Agree wholeheartedly.

Agreed. Total shame to let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    dead man walking...

Sadly, I feel even this might be overly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

On the bright side, perhaps the best spot in town for high-rise residential or maybe even a hotel/condo combination tower.
    I wouldn't mind replacing the children's building blocks and hampster tubes Stage Center with a hotel/conduminiums tower the likes of The Omni in Fort Worth. That would look good downtown and would compliment the area very well, not to mention, get rid of the bums--excuse me, urban campers. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

Devon is the only one that would fit that bill, and I just don't see them saving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Devon is the only one that would fit that bill, and I just don't see them saving it.
    Devon isn't the only white knight in the kingdom, but sadly, if a shining knight were to step forward, that would have likely already occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Devon isn't the only white knight in the kingdom, but sadly, if a shining knight were to step forward, that would have likely already occurred.
    ohh there will be someone stepping forward to this property,just not to save the Stage Center sadly!I see a mixed use area or a convention hotel of or sadly even a parking garage!

Maybe someone could get in Sandridge's ear. I think they'd benefit from the PR, considering the India Temple debacle. Steve...?

23. Default Re: Stage Center

Um yeah... you do know I'm really just a guy with a pen and a notepad, right?

Well, a guy with a pen and a notepad that a fair bit of people listen to. That was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, anyway.

Don't worry, though, I have no illusions that this forum is much more than a collection of Virginia Woolf style stream of consciousness ramblings about our fair city.

If it is truly not looking very good for the Stage Center, that doesn't prevent any of you guys from having your say about it and taking the issue up. I have yet to see this issue taken up publicly, although I'm well aware that it has been analyzed at the higher echelons.

Did the study come back yet, or is it still being compiled?

Thread Information