Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

Keep Calm and Swim On, lol.

I like it!

3. Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

This looks awesome!

4. Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

Architecturally, it's a nice building.

It seems like they could have shared the parking with the church instead of building their own. Unless the church needs additional parking and will be using this new lot.

EDIT: I took a closer look and it appears there was parking going there in the master plan anyways. Nm.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post

It seems like they could have shared the parking with the church instead of building their own. Unless the church needs additional parking and will be using this new lot.

EDIT: I took a closer look and it appears there was parking going there in the master plan anyways. Nm.
    Probably parking requirements for each building.

Panda, not only are these good places for older women, you can perhaps hang out there and meet one or four. Men are in high demand with that set, I'm led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Panda, not only are these good places for older women, you can perhaps hang out there and meet one or four. Men are in high demand with that set, I'm led to believe.
    Oh come on.... how did you know that was my plan??

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Oh come on.... how did you know that was my plan??
    I am wise to the ways of men. Because I am an older woman.

9. Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

it looks great. im very glad the city is investing in its citizens. NOW, I couldn't help but thinking while viewing the renderings, that it's too bad this is just for seniors. I think the children need community centers like this - remember those of old, where you could swim, work out, and so on? I think more community centers (f0r youth) could make the city a safer place and give youngsters something to do. I especially like the arts/craft area, imagine that at a youth oriented center?

nonetheless, kudos on the existing plans.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Pete - do you know which architecture firm is doing this first wellness center?

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    Pete - do you know which architecture firm is doing this first wellness center?
    Glover Smith Bode

Oklahoma Architects Glover Smith Bode are Architects in Oklahoma City | gsb

I know that FSB is doing one of the Senior Wellness Centers. However, I do not know which one.

From newsok:

Oklahoma City's MAPS-funded senior center to feature 'hybrid' pool

Designers of Oklahoma City’s senior aquatics center have incorporated features to promote socializing, fitness and healthy habits.

by William Crum
    Modified: August 28, 2014 at 2:00 pm
    Published: August 27, 2014

The first MAPS 3 senior aquatics center is being described as a socially engaging space that will be “light, bright and energetic.”

Architects and consultants on Wednesday gave a MAPS 3 advisory committee a look at plans for the 40,000-square-foot center, to be built next to Putnam City Baptist Church at NW 112 and Rockwell Avenue.

The centerpiece is a warm-water “hybrid” pool about half the size of an Olympic swimming pool, fit for activities from water aerobics to lap swimming.

See the rest of the article at: Oklahoma City's MAPS-funded senior center to feature 'hybrid' pool | News OK

From Newsok.com:

MAPS-funded senior center projects on track in Oklahoma City

Design work for a senior wellness center to be in northwest Oklahoma City is “in the home stretch,” an architect said Tuesday.

by Silas Allen Published: December 31, 2014

Design work for a senior wellness center to be in northwest Oklahoma City is “in the home stretch,” an architect said Tuesday.

Ryan Eshelman, of Oklahoma City-based architecture firm GSB, told the Oklahoma City Council on Tuesday that architects expect to break ground on the project in May. The center is expected to open in 2016.

The center will be at NW 122 and Rockwell Avenue, next to Putnam City Baptist Church. The project is being funded by the penny MAPS 3 sales tax Oklahoma City voters approved in December 2009.

Read the rest of the article at: MAPS-funded senior center projects on track in Oklahoma City | News OK

Why is this being built so far up North? Where are the other ones going to be located?

Edit* Whoops, I see the next one is in the Capital Hill area.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post

So are we building the church a new parking lot??

The South Walker project is a great design and location, but I'm afraid the site plan needs a tweak. It doesn't come up to the "sidewalk", and this is an area with a ton of pedestrian traffic despite the proper facilities for that. It would be nice to use this project to add more dignity to this area. My grandparents live in Western Heights behind the park, which is an area that would surprise most people on here.

Between Capitol Hill High School and the park is a church. I can't picture any available land unless it is being built on park land?

Good question. Could be a good way of assuming operating funding?

The Wellness Center #2 on South Walker will be on school property in what is now a parking lot south of the tennis courts. I am pleasantly surprised by the location selection.

I agree, that's a great location and helps to offset the first center being on the far northwest side.

I really love the Capitol Hill area.

It's behind the pay wall but this can't be good news MAPS 3 senior center partner seeks additional $500,000 | News OK
    It seems every project has ran over budget and is proving to have higher expenses than originally thought which is worrisome for the later, larger Maps projects.

Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

As each M3 project us over budget and is/was off schedule, this is not a surprise. And it isn't just M3 projects. Project 90, er, um, the Project amusingly still called Project 180, is another big glaring example of over promise and under deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    It's behind the pay wall but this can't be good news MAPS 3 senior center partner seeks additional $500,000 | News OK
    It seems every project has ran over budget and is proving to have higher expenses than originally thought which is worrisome for the later, larger Maps projects.
    You also have a large money grab, on the part of one subcommittee in particular, and vendors who smell money. To the credit of the city's laid back style of project management, the city has made itself very attractive for those types of vendors and contractors..

A controversy has arisen.

Oklahoma City advisory panel opposes money shift for MAPS 3 senior wellness center | News OK

An advisory committee on Wednesday opposed a recommendation that $400,000 be shifted within the MAPS 3 senior health and wellness centers budget to close a funding gap for the first center.
    MAPS managers had proposed shifting $400,000 from the budget for the fourth senior center — which is not scheduled to open for another five years at the earliest — and applying it to the funding gap.

It seems to me that if city staff defer to the subcommittee's guidance a controversy would be averted...

Thread Information