Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Senior Wellness Centers

Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

Hopefully they get rid of the Aquatic part and replace it with a water park. Every one knows how much seniors like running through water and they don't have to worry about having a life guard on duty either. It'll be perfect and every know pools for seniors would be under used any way.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    Sadly, anyone on the Senior Wellness Center Subcommittee that doesn't support aquatic centers at all 4-5 Wellness Centers has FAILED the seniors of Oklahoma City, the voters that approved 5 senior aquatic centers and has failed their responsibilities as committee members. Who the hell shrunk the aquatic centers to 1 or 2?

Sounds like the same kind of people who promised sidewalks in all neighborhoods without them to pass our last bond issue and almost totally reneged on that promise!
    The reduced number of pools may have come as a result of the potential partners who will be operating sites all balking at the original requirements of the first RFP.

3. Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

We need many more inexpensive swim centers for EVERYONE!

When I was a boy, I learned to swim at the YWCA on 2nd Street (I was about 5 years old). At 7 or 8, I started swimming at the downtown YMCA. We had city pools at Will Rogers Park, Memorial Park, at a northeast park (where my sisters learned to swim). I believe there were several pools on the south side of OKC. http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-mem...ing-pools.html Currently only 2 parks, Will Rogers and Woodson have swimming pools. My family also swam at Springlake Park, Wedgewood Village, and the Sportsman's Club (when we were invited). Springlake's pool was everyone's favorite. There were 2 high diving boards at Springlake, something that liability insurance won't allow in today's world.

My mom (in the 1920's) would take the streetcar up Classen Blvd from NW 10th Street to swim at Belle Isle Lake where the Belle Isle Walmart is now. One of my uncles was a lifeguard at OKC Golf & Country Club which has always had a nice pool (back in the 1930's) -- and that pool is still there.

If there is not enough money to build the 5 indooor Aquatic/Wellness Centers for our seniors, we should be sure to use the money to build at least 2 great indoor Aquatic, Wellness Centers & promise to build another 3 centers for MAPS 4. We really need one of the initial centers located at Boathouse Row, so athletes training there can use it before 9 am & then we can start senior swim programs & free swim beginning at that time. The pool needs to be Olympic size. We need to insure the new trolley route extends beyond Bricktown to Boathouse Row, so we can insure transit for seniors who don't drive. After the central aquatic/wellness center is built, we should plan a senior aqualtic/wellnes center for each quadrant of the city.

The Boathouse Row pool needs to be Olympic size so it can also be used by our high school athletes for year-round training (early morning) and swim competition. We seniors can share the pool with our public schools for special events. I attended Classen High School (class of '67) and we had an indoor pool that we used for our gym classes and swim meets. OKC public schools no longer have swim pools inside any of our schools (that I'm aware of), even our new ones - Douglas, US Grant, & John Marshall - which is an egregious oversight in my view. I believe Central H.S., Classen H.S. and Captiol Hill H.S. were all built with indoor pools.

One thing we can do now is allow swimming to the public (either free or for a small charge) in the lake proposed for our central park. Since it's a man-made lake, we probably don't have to provide the same purity requirements of a public pool, but the water will have to come from Lake Hefner or Overholser, & not use Oklahoma River water which is too polluted for swimming. We can even share the pool with the proposed paddleboats, canoes & kayaks & the fish! If we need the state legislature to pass a special law limiting OKC's liability, let's get it done. I am sure we could have designated areas for swimming with trained lifeguards.

Oklahoma City Community College does have an indoor olympic sized aquatic center available for special events. But I don't think it is available for public swimming.

I have previously advocated an indoor aquatic park on the north side of the central park near the new convention center which would enable conventioneers to participate year-round in one of Oklahoma City's central park attractions. Oklahoma City needs an indoor aquatic park & our new central park would be a great place to locate it.

Again, if we can't build 5 great senior aquatic/wellness centers with the MAPS 3 money that is allocated, let's build at least 2 great centers. MAPS 4 can build the remaining 3. Also, MAPS 4 could build that public indoor aquatic center for everyone on the north side of our central park. MAPS 4 also should build a whole bunch of public pools in Oklahoma City's parks like we used to have when I was growing up. We need lots of places for kids to learn to swim in the summer. Whitewater is just too expensive for most families. I realize that swimming pools are expensive to operate, but I have a possible solution which I will post in a future thread.

This article is co-posted at OKC Parks (swimming pools) in the Nostalgia section.

As I mentioned in the other thread where you posted this, you're not entirely accurate about the public pools operated by OKC.

City of Oklahoma City | Swimming Pools

5. Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    As I mentioned in the other thread where you posted this, you're not entirely accurate about the public pools operated by OKC.

City of Oklahoma City | Swimming Pools
    Mea culpa!

I previously read that only 2 swimming pools remained in our OKC parks system. I should have reviewed the city's website before posting those comments. It looks like Northeast Park where my sisters learned to swim still exists WITH a pool & still teaches swimming! There are actually 1 indoor pool for use year-round (Foster), 2 family aquatic centers (Will Rogers & Earlywine), and 3 other pools (Northeast, Woodson, and Macklanburg). I plan to walk each of these parks soon and I'll try to swim at the Foster indoor pool on Friday.

Also, since OKC Parks already has the Foster indoor pool facility at 614 NE 4th, we probably don't need a senior pool in Boathouse Row.

From the Oklahoma City Parks website:

The Parks & Recreation Department operates 17 spraygrounds, two family aquatic centers and multiple swimming pools throughout the city. They provide a variety of activities for people of all ages and swimming abilities, and are great way to stay cool in the summer heat.

The Parks & Recreation Department operates 17 spraygrounds, two family aquatic centers and multiple swimming pools throughout the city. They provide a variety of activities for people of all ages and swimming abilities, and are great way to stay cool in the summer heat.

Foster Indoor Program Pool - OPEN YEAR-ROUND
    614 N.E. 4th
    The Foster Program Pool is open year-round for citizens wishing to participate in special programs and classes. Exercise classes and lap swims are a few of the types of programs available. For more information, call 239-6898.

Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 6:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Classes and times:

Water Walking
    Build resistance during this individual adult exercise. No instructor.
    M/W/F 6:30 - 8:30 a.m.
    T/Th 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
    FREE

Adult Lap Swim
    M/W/F 8:30 - 10 a.m.
    FREE

Water Aerobics
    Increase your stamina and burn calories during this instructor-led exercise class.
    Cost: $2 per person
    M/W/F 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Homeschool Aquatics
    M/W 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
    SESSION I: September 10 - 26
    SESSION II: October 8 - 24
    SESSION III: November 5 - 21
    Cost: $20 per person/session

H20 Bootcamp
    Build stamina and get into shape with this amped-up water aerobics class. Advanced.
    M/W/F/ 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
    Cost: $2 per session

SWIM TEAM:
    MWF June 4-July 28 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. Cost: $30 for summer

2012 Summer Schedules and Hours

Schedules posted as of April 12 and are subject to change before the season.
    Call 405-239-6898 for specific program or lesson questions.

Download a copy of our 2012 Pools brochure and schedule

Earlywine and Will Rogers Family Aquatics Centers

Hours Open:
    May 26, 27, 28 noon - 6 p.m.
    June 2-August 12 noon - 9:00 p.m.

August 18, 19 noon - 6 p.m.
    August 25, 26 noon - 6 p.m.
    September 1-3 noon - 6:00 p.m.

Fee: $6 per person; $3 after 6:00 p.m.

Season Passes (Family Aquatic Centers):
    Individual $50 Family Pass (family of 4) $150 ($35 for ea. add'l family member)
    Season Pass holders gain early admission at 11 a.m. Monday - Friday.

Season Pass Purchases:
    Available at Earlywine and Will Rogers Family Aquatic Centers
    May 23, 24, 25 3:00 - 6:00 p.m.
    Or anytime throughout season.

Season Pass holders have 11:00 a.m. entry at Family Aquatic Centers Monday-Friday.

Swimming Lessons - Pre-Season Registration
    Pre-season registration for swimming lessons will take place at Earlywine and Will Rogers Family Aquatic Centers May 23, 24, 25 from 3 - 6 p.m.

For more information, visit our Earlywine or Will Rogers Family Aquatics Center pages.

Northeast Pool, 1300 NE 33
    Woodson Pool, 3405 S May
    Macklanburg Pool, 2234 NW 117
    June 12 - July 29
    Open: Tuesday - Sunday, 1:00 - 6:00 p.m.

SWIMMING LESSONS

Swimming lessons are available throughout the summer months for ages toddler-adult. Call or visit your local pool for a complete schedule of lessons and activities.

Swimming Lessons: $20 Per Session / Per Child

Session Dates - Family Aquatic Centers:

Session I - June 6-16
    Session II - June 20-30
    Session III - July 4-14
    Session IV - July 18-28
    Session V - August 1-11
    Session Dates - Northeast and Woodson

Session I - June 14-24
    Session II - June 28 - July 8
    Session III - July 12-22

Advanced Classes

Summer Competitive Swim Teams - Youth ages 8 – 18 can join one of our swim teams for fun summer competitions. FEE $30

Scuba / Snorkeling Call 405 366-8111 for class dates, times and fees.

Lifeguarding, Jr. Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Classes available.

6. Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

Yesterday, I walked all the way around each one of the OKC Park Department's outdoor pools: Macklanburg, Northeast, Woodson, Earlywine, and then Will Rogers. I was already signed up at the Will Rogers Senior Center, but I additionally signed up at Woodson Park's Senior Center. This morning, I got up early & went swimming at the Foster Indoor Pool at NE 4th in the first block east of Lincoln Blvd.

Oklahoma City's Foster Indoor Pool is one of OKC's hidden secrets. It is located in what was the "Black" YMCA & built in the 1940's to give our east side Black residents comparable facilities to the Central YMCA downtown. In fact, when I mentioned the pool reminded me of the Central Branch YMCA pool where I swam as a youth, I was told it was identical & both pools were designed & built by the same contractor.

I plan to make the Foster Pool a regular part of my morning workouts. It is open Monday, Wednesday & Friday from 6:30 am to 10 am and on those same days from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm. The park offers some programs for a fee during midday and late evening.

PLUS YOU CAN SWIM FREE, mornings and late afternoons -- not just seniors, but everybody!!!!

The outdoor pools of Macklanburg. Woodson and Northeast are also free to the public during the summer season. Because the pools at Earlywine and Will Rogers are considered Aquatic Parks, there is a small charge for these pools.

Take advantage of your tax dollars and start swimming FREE at the Foster indoor pool during the entire year and at the other OKC parks with pools during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    ...If there is not enough money to build the 5 indooor Aquatic/Wellness Centers for our seniors, we should be sure to use the money to build at least 2 great indoor Aquatic, Wellness Centers & promise to build another 3 centers for MAPS 4. We really need one of the initial centers located at Boathouse Row, so athletes training there can use it before 9 am & then we can start senior swim programs & free swim beginning at that time. The pool needs to be Olympic size. We need to insure the new trolley route extends beyond Bricktown to Boathouse Row, so we can insure transit for seniors who don't drive. After the central aquatic/wellness center is built, we should plan a senior aqualtic/wellnes center for each quadrant of the city. ...
    But that is what was essentially promised with MAPS 3...we were going to get 4 to 5 Senior Aquatic Centers..definitely 4 and a 5th if money permitted...think most folks figured each quadrant would get one and the 5th one would be located downtown. If they don't deliver what was promised with MAPS 3, why would folks fall for the same promise with MAPS 4???

Also, if not mistaken, the current Streetcar route doesn't get anywhere close to Boathouse Row

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    But that is what was essentially promised with MAPS 3...we were going to get 4 to 5 Senior Aquatic Centers..definitely 4 and a 5th if money permitted...think most folks figured each quadrant would get one and the 5th one would be located downtown. If they don't deliver what was promised with MAPS 3, why would folks fall for the same promise with MAPS 4???

Also, if not mistaken, the current Streetcar route doesn't get anywhere close to Boathouse Row

they are senior health and wellness centers ... they may or many not be aquatic

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Is that how they were pitched in MAPs3? My memory differs, but there's been plenty of times that happens to me without any real reason.

With a project specifically targeting seniors did they repeal the senior exemption from the MAPS tax?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Is that how they were pitched in MAPs3? My memory differs, but there's been plenty of times that happens to me without any real reason.
    Since it was clear they were not really sure what they were building in the early MAPS3 meetings it would not surprise me if they were advertised as all being aquatic centers. However I distinctly remember not being able to find out from the pre-vote material if senior aquatic center meant it would have more like an Olympic pool, endless swimming/hydrotherapy pool or a 16 x 16 foot pool to do group water aerobics classes.

12. Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post

I decided to post a reply to the streetcar route remark in the Modern Streetcar thread in the Transportation section. It may be a few days (if ever) before I post my thoughts since I want to read that section first before posting anything.

Also, Larry, who knows what will be decided eventually about our Senior Wellness/Aquatic? Centers. Without senior indoor pools, Woodson & Will Rogers Parks provide various programs for seniors. Woodson (and Foster) both have gyms that anyone can use. I have been surprised that only about 30-40 people a day use the indoor pool at Foster (mostly seniors). That's probably due to almost no one in Oklahoma City knowing about it. I also guess that many of the affluent residents living in the new deep deuce housing may already be members of the nearby Edward L Gaylord Downtown YMCA.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    While the City's website has dropped the word "Aquatics". It was there during the campaign and mentioned often. In some recent articles the word Aquatics had been dropped but a report from the sub committee that I saw somewhere still had the Aquatics included in the schematics.

Maps 3 Projects: Other Projects | NewsOK.com

Health and wellness aquatic centers for senior citizens, $50 million
    An undetermined number of the centers would be built across
    the city. City officials have not said exactly where the centers will be located.
    Oklahoma City MAPS 3 Initiatives - Brief History of MAPS, FAQs, Status and List of MAPS 3 Initiatives
    State-of-the-art health and wellness aquatic centers throughout the city designed for senior citizens. ($50 million)
    Mick Cornett - Businessweek
    MAPS 3 projects include a 70-acre downtown park, improved sidewalks and hike and bike trails, a modern streetcar system, a new convention center, senior wellness/aquatic centers, and other amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    With a project specifically targeting seniors did they repeal the senior exemption from the MAPS tax?
    Yes, if memory serves the Senior Tax exemption/rebate was only for the original MAPS and has been absent since MAPS 4 Kids

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Since it was clear they were not really sure what they were building in the early MAPS3 meetings it would not surprise me if they were advertised as all being aquatic centers. However I distinctly remember not being able to find out from the pre-vote material if senior aquatic center meant it would have more like an Olympic pool, endless swimming/hydrotherapy pool or a 16 x 16 foot pool to do group water aerobics classes.
    The Aquatics part was rather vague as what that would mean, but we did have some indications as to what they had in mind. Never did understand why the Senior Centers book chapter (given to the Citizen Oversight Committee) literally was void of ANY information. The book was held up during a Council meeting where some members were expressing their concerns that the Senior Aquatics Centers would get lost and forgotten. Have to remember they brought in the Mayor of North Little Rock to speak at one of the Chamber's "Breaking Though" luncheons...

A closer look: Breakdown of Maps 3 projects | NewsOK.com
    Health and wellness aquatic centers for senior citizens, $50 million
    City leaders plan to build four or five large senior centers with pools across the city.
    Mayor Mick Cornett said each will cost $10 million to $15 million, and they will be located north, south, east and west, though exact locations haven’t been chosen.
    The centers should resemble one built recently in North Little Rock, Ark., which has two pools, a walking track, exercise equipment, a computer room, a small library, a puzzle room and gathering spots for people to sit and talk. About 700 people use the North Little Rock center each day, and members pay a $25 annual fee.
    And this from Doug's blog (about 1/3 of the way down the page)
    Doug Dawgz Blog: All The News About MAPS 3
    The mayor's [Patrick Hays] presentation consisted largely of slides showing various rooms in the facility, including the following: puzzle room; aquatic pool; lap pool; walking trails; exercise rooms with lots of state of the art equipment; visiting areas where people just chat and "decide the problems of the world"; a pool room with 4 pool tables; a ping pong room; classroom areas; a small library; a computer room donated by AT&T at a cost of $50,000; and ballroom which can be rented. He said that about 1/3 of the center's operational costs are generated from rental, presumably during off-hours.

per next weeks Senior Health and Wellness center Subcommittee agenda they are being asked to authorize the city to negotiation of contracts with 2 possible Operating Partners.

1. Oklahoma City-County Health

2. Healthy Living, Inc. (a Non-Profit Subsidiary of Putnam City Baptist Church)

OKC Civic Affairs

MAPS 3 senior center advances

By William Crum

Published: March 18, 2014

The Oklahoma City Council on Tuesday approved a design contract and programming agreement for the first of the MAPS 3 senior health and wellness centers, which will open near NW 117 Street and Rockwell Avenue.

Healthy Living and Fitness Inc., which is affiliated with Putnam City Baptist Church, is to operate the center.

The “term sheet” approved by the city council outlines requirements to assure seniors can afford to use the center. It sets a minimum of 65 hours — including four hours on the weekend — that the center will be open each week.

The city will retain the center’s naming rights, but Healthy Living will be able to sell “sponsorships,” for instance, for the pool.

The senior centers were approved by voters in 2009 as part of MAPS 3. Plans called for four to five to be built, at a total cost of around $50 million, with community groups taking the lead in running the centers.

Community groups have been slow to come forward. Negotiations currently are underway for just two centers — Healthy Living’s center in northwest Oklahoma City and a second in south Oklahoma City to be run by NorthCare.

GSB Inc. is to design the first of the MAPS 3 senior centers. That contract — also approved Tuesday by the city council — is for $933,120.

MAPS 3 senior center advances | News OK

117th & Rockwell??

I suppose they had to go where they could get a partner to operate.

What happened to City-County Health Department as a partner?

Blog Entries

Just curious... let's say we wait for community groups to come forward until the last penny is spent on every other project but nobody comes. Do we reallocate the funds or just build some buildings nobody wants to operate, or???

3 unbuilt centers = $150M unspent = dare I say streetcar phase 3 and 4?

...or, knock on wood, convention center cost overruns (i.e. it's really a $400M CC after all)...

...or, gasp, convention center hotel???

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Just curious... let's say we wait for community groups to come forward until the last penny is spent on every other project but nobody comes. Do we reallocate the funds or just build some buildings nobody wants to operate, or???

3 unbuilt centers = $150M unspent = dare I say streetcar phase 3 and 4?

...or, knock on wood, convention center cost overruns (i.e. it's really a $400M CC after all)...

...or, gasp, convention center hotel???
    I've wondered the same thing shawnw.

The days of seniors moving to Florida are going away. Most want to be close to there families and are opting for Retirement Villages or moving in with their children like Mom is about to do because Dad just passed and she does not want to live on her own. She wants to be in a house with other people she knows and loves. In interact with a lot Seniors are retirees at work. They tell me they like OKC because the pace of life is just right. They like the new things that are going on the city but, they don't want to live in the urban core where people running over each other. They want the slow pace of life and they can get that in the suburbs and in the retirement villages that are opening in the suburban areas of the city.

Blog Entries

I could argue that people are running into each other just as much at 117th and Rockwell as in the core. But the chief problem is still more operators stepping up.

I know there have been a mentions of Woodson Park at SW 29th and I-44 on this thread. I saw that the entire west portion of the park has been raised and it looks like they are doing some drainage and dirt work. It looks like the City of OKC still owns this site. Anyone know what they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    The days of seniors moving to Florida are going away. Most want to be close to there families and are opting for Retirement Villages or moving in with their children like Mom is about to do because Dad just passed and she does not want to live on her own. She wants to be in a house with other people she knows and loves. In interact with a lot Seniors are retirees at work. They tell me they like OKC because the pace of life is just right. They like the new things that are going on the city but, they don't want to live in the urban core where people running over each other. They want the slow pace of life and they can get that in the suburbs and in the retirement villages that are opening in the suburban areas of the city.
    Opinions of course vary, my grandma moved into a retirement neighborhood in an urban center from a suburban house about a year or two ago (stayed in the same metro), loves it and has said many times since she wished she had done it years earlier. Reflecting on my other grandmother I wish she would have considered it, she spent the last ten years of her life rarely leaving the house due to having to get someone to pick her up because she could not drive any more but was still fit for her age and was capable of walking long distances up until the last few weeks before she passed.

Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

I edited the article at the top to reflect new plans and renderings for the first senior wellness center.

Thread Information