Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Oklahoma City Phone Numbers

Default Re: Old Oklahoma City Phone Numbers

I do remember some of them. JA was Jackson. WI was Windson. (I don't rcall that there was a VI.; for one thing it would have been too easily cofused with WI.) CE was Central. ME was Melrose. I don't rcal others right now, but telphone directories for that period are available at the main library. This system for phone numbes was common across the country at that time

Quote Originally Posted by redland View Post
    I do remember some of them. JA was Jackson. WI was Windson. (I don't rcall that there was a VI.; for one thing it would have been too easily cofused with WI.) CE was Central. ME was Melrose. I don't rcal others right now, but telphone directories for that period are available at the main library. This system for phone numbes was common across the country at that time
    VIctor was a Northside excahange, around John Marshall/Nichols Hills area I think.

WIndsor would be 94, VIctor is 84.

Moore was SWift and Spencer was PRospect

We had a 4-party line, but you could only hear the ring for 2 parties (216R and 216M) We listened for 2 rings and the other party had one. My Aunt had an 8 party line, and calls for 4 different phones would ring at her house. Her number was 228J4, and we listened for 4 rings. This was in Nicoma Park, and we didn't get a private line until we got dial (GLendale exchange).

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    We were on a four party line but it was in town and you didn't hear a ring unless the call was for you. You could hear other people if you picked up the phone and they were on a call. Private lines were hard to come by in the fifties but one of the parties cussed my teenage sister out because she was on the phone. When my mother reported that it happened (she didn't know who it was) we received our private line within a week. I moved to far Northeast OKC in 1975 and we had a four party line till the late 70's or early 80's.
    C. T.
    Last edited by UnclePete; 03-26-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    Hey, CT, was that the place at 89th and Portland where we used to have "gang" fights?
    There were a few fights there. Do you remember Johnny getting shot? I believe that is where it happened. My girlfriend's home was about a half, maybe three quarters of a mile South of 89th on the East side of Portland.
    C. T.

There were a few fights there. Do you remember Johnny getting shot? I believe that is where it happened. My girlfriend's home was about a half, maybe three quarters of a mile South of 89th on the East side of Portland.
    C. T.
    I forgot to say the last name, it was Johnny Rogers and he was killed out there.
    C. T.

It was also near there where Roy Fort was shot, if my memory serves. This got discussed on the Southside memories thread 2 or 3 years ago. I don't recall a Johnny Rogers incident.

Surely you remember Rogers....it was later on after fort was shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    & what does this have to do with old phone numbers? I'm sorry. Forgot you guys are really old, and tend to stray.

Edmond had PL which stood for Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    & what does this have to do with old phone numbers? I'm sorry. Forgot you guys are really old, and tend to stray.
    Sorry, when thoughts start flowing, other memories seem to just naturally happen and USG'60 and I got sidetracked. I won't promise it won't happen again, but I will try to remember the thread I am on.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    Edmond had PL which stood for Plaza.
    I Don't remember any Edmond prefix other than 34(1), and PL (75) is an exchange in Northwest OKC isn't it? What areas in Edmond had PL?
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I was trying to send you an email and I received the message " * Generals64 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
    Let me know when I can answer your email.
    C. T.

14. Default Re: Old Oklahoma City Phone Numbers

The 75x numbers in Oklahoma City were actually SKyline.

Incidentally, Victor, Skyline and Greenfield (478) were considered Britton, rather than Oklahoma City, for toll purposes; through the early 1970s, calls from other communities on the fringe of OKC were long distance. (The woman I married told me that when she worked at Penn Square and lived in Midwest City, it was a toll call from home to work, or back again.)

Sorry, when thoughts start flowing, other memories seem to just naturally happen and USG'60 and I got sidetracked. I won't promise it won't happen again, but I will try to remember the thread I am on.
    C. T.
    I was not being serious. When you got involved with this group you offered yourself wide open.........

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I was not being serious. When you got involved with this group you offered yourself wide open.........
    I'm pretty thick skinned but kidding or not, I really didn't mean to start a new thread in this one.
    C. T.

In 1961, I remember
    Edmond having only one exchange: PL=PLaza.

I Don't remember any Edmond prefix other than 34(1), and PL (75) is an exchange in Northwest OKC isn't it? What areas in Edmond had PL?
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    In 1961, I remember
    Edmond having only one exchange: PL=PLaza.
    Well, I left the state in 1960 and returned in 1968 and the only person I knew in Edmond in 1960 was my older sister attending CSC and how many little brothers called their sisters. You have straightened me out, now if you can, help me a little more. I moved to Edmond in 1968 and my exchange was 34 and that's the only one I remember. Was PL still there then?
    Thanks,
    C. T.

From 1961 to 1974 we lived at 24th and Villa. Our phone number was WI6-4125. I loved the old Windsor. I cannot remember when it was changed to just 946-4125

My grandparents lived in Edmond way back in the 40's. For years their phone number was just 3 digits. Then sometime in the 60's (?) they added 341-0 plus their three digits. When I was a student at Central State COLLEGE back in '67 if I called home to OKC from Edmond there was a long distance charge.

It was so much easier to remember the numbers when they had a name prefix. My mother now lives in the 63.... prefix area, but I still think "MElrose... when I dial it.

I will never forget my childhood number, ME2-2228. Being a bit of a rebel, during the 90's when I liked in Midwest City, I recorded my phone message as, "you have reached Riverside 1-6155. . ." I am pretty sure Midwest city never had such a named exchange as the 741 prefix was not added until the late 80's (IIRC). For those of you still inclined, there is a website dedicated to exchange numbers, and a table of "Ma Bell's Officially Recommended Exchange Names" at:

http://http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html

The page, with a little history is available at:

http://http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENproject.html

Regards,
    Wesley H.

I grew up in GArfield and VIctor.

SUnset was far west, as a previous poster suggested.

My dad was at the OKC Fire Station at 36 th and Meridian and that number was SUnset9-7666.

25. Default Re: Old Oklahoma City Phone Numbers

Anyone know what the name for the 34x Edmond exchange was? As an aside, I grew up on Lakeside Drive west of May and South of Hefner and we had a SKyline-1 (751) number.

Thread Information