Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ho-Ho the Clown

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ho-Ho the Clown

Recently the PBS-TV station here in Dallas ran a mini-series, "Pioneers of Television" spotlighting local kids' shows such as Bozo and Howdy Doody as well as lots of regional shows. In their photo montage that opened each episode was a pic of Foreman Scotty, which got me remembering Ho-Ho.

Has there been any collection of clips from Ho-Ho's show? Either as a retrospective from KOCO after Ho-Ho passed away, or even better, a DVD or VHS?

In my opinion Pokey was the greatest clown sidekick ever. I remember they were reading fan letters one time and someone asked what kind of animal Pokey was. "I'm a baby ibex," Pokey replied. "My horns just haven't come in yet." They both cracked up so badly that I think the producers started a commercial.

They also had a feature where they showed clips of old screwball comedies while they commented (off-screen) about what was going on. Sort of a proto-MST3K. I remember Ho-Ho mentioning several times how much he liked comic character actor Edgar Kennedy in these movies.

Oh well, that's my trip down Memory Lane for today. Gawd I feel old!

Default Re: Ho-Ho the Clown

Ho-Ho and pokey were definetely one of my childhood faves. Seems i came across a vid or 2 of him on youtube a while back. Also recall a show from the tulsa/eufaula area called uncle zeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Ho-Ho and pokey were definetely one of my childhood faves. Seems i came across a vid or 2 of him on youtube a while back. Also recall a show from the tulsa/eufaula area called uncle zeb.
    I hadn't thought of trying Youtube. Thanks ALS!

Try checking with the Oklahoma Historical Society. They may have something there. The executive director at OHS is my cousin - his mom is Ida B (The Ida B Show) & I know they're friends with the guy that played Pokey. Kind of a special place in their hearts for the old local tv shows.

Yeah, I watched those. I was hoping for something from the '60s with Pokey, Mr Misto and some of the old bits.

I liked the wry humor of Hollywood Harry while introducing the "movies." "It's a cliff hanger, Ho."

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    I liked the wry humor of Hollywood Harry while introducing the "movies." "It's a cliff hanger, Ho."
    I forgot about Hollywood! The upside down chin man!

Ab-so-lute-ly! :d

I LOVE how the introduction (at :20 on Part 1) is essentially a test pattern for the graphics equipment that 5 had back then, exhibiting nearly every iota of capability available from the control room.

Too bad kids today do not get to experience a show as simple as this. Deff. a great memory!

When I was in elementary school, Ho Ho used to appear at birthday parties. I went to two parties he appeared at. They were a lot of fun and he was a very nice man.

Bigray in Ok

The guy that played Pokie and the unside down chin man were one in the same. Bill Howard. Bill is still with us and he is an old family friend. Still lives in the same place as when his kids and I hung out together. And Bill is still one of the funniest guys you could ever meet. Every time I am with him, I leave with my sides hurting. The Oklahoma Historical Society has one of the Pokie sock puppets. I loved HoHo. Got to go and see the taping of one of the shows once. It was so cool. You know, we had a lot of great ones back in the day. Foreman Scotty, DD, HoHo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    The guy that played Pokie and the unside down chin man were one in the same. Bill Howard. Bill is still with us and he is an old family friend. Still lives in the same place as when his kids and I hung out together. And Bill is still one of the funniest guys you could ever meet. Every time I am with him, I leave with my sides hurting. The Oklahoma Historical Society has one of the Pokie sock puppets. I loved HoHo. Got to go and see the taping of one of the shows once. It was so cool. You know, we had a lot of great ones back in the day. Foreman Scotty, DD, HoHo, etc.
    I remembered his name was Bill "something"... Howard, that clicked right away. Thanks for that!

I remember meeting Ho-Ho at one of the Cerebral Palsy or Muscular Dystrophy telethons back in the early 70s. What a great man he was, to devote his life to entertaining kids.

Thread Information