Widgets Magazine

Thread: WRWA Photos

Default WRWA Photos

...spent a little time at Will Rogers yesterday (Saturday - 19 March 2011) and took a few photos.

Flickriver.com - Cameron_405 - Will Rogers World Airport

PS Thanks for the advice for viewing area, SkyWestOKC. {:+)

Default Re: WRWA Photos

the teller you took a pic, is betty, i will have to let her know lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    the teller you took a pic, is betty, i will have to let her know lol
    ...had snapped off two shots before she noticed the camera, then she winced and exclaimed, "Whoa! Whoa! What are you doing?!?" (pretty sure she thought it was a weapon of some sort). I allayed her fears, took another shot and was on my merry way.

Tell Betty I said hello and that I didn't mean to startle her! {:+)

So the "viewing area" is actually one of the five-story garages correct?

I wish there was an official viewing area at OKC, I would go to the airport to actually do some spotting on days when I had nothing to do in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    So the "viewing area" is actually one of the five-story garages correct?

I wish there was an official viewing area at OKC, I would go to the airport to actually do some spotting on days when I had nothing to do in the summer.
    ...was referred to the parking garage area (where I went), another spot near the post office on Air Cargo Rd (the narrow stretch of grass along the fence line) -- avoid the side streets next to the perimeter of the fence.

There was an observation deck inside of the airport years ago -- would like to see the return of something like that.
    Last edited by cameron_405; 03-21-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: (added 'see' to last sentence -- it's clearly a Monday)

6. Default Re: WRWA Photos

ya, too bad they got rid of the 'control tower' viewdeck. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Fantastic pics! I've always thought our airport was the best as far as looks and feel are concerned.

Did you get harrased by security? I've heard that even taking pics from the outside can catch the ire of the TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Fantastic pics! I've always thought our airport was the best as far as looks and feel are concerned.

Did you get harrased by security? I've heard that even taking pics from the outside can catch the ire of the TSA.
    ...thanks! A man in a golf cart approached me whilst on the parking garage. I said, "howdy!", and he just gave me a funny look and puttered off (no 'hi', no smile -- but no hassle).

That was our courtesy patrol guy named ron. lol he usuaslly is a friendly guy, speak loudly though when you talk to him lol

there is cameras all around that video tape. We have tons of people/customers/traverls who take pics out here, they are followed by security cameras, but we dont bother them unless there is a sign of something else or causing problems with customers and employees..

You guys probably see me a lot on your cameras lol I am up on the garage all the time, at least once a week.

12. Default Re: WRWA Photos

So if I want to do some spotting I can just come to the airport for a few hours and park on the rooftop of the garage?

At IAH, they have an agreement where anyone wanting to do spotting from one of the garages has to call parking enforcement and just let them know that they are going to do some spotting, and then give them their license plate number and car make and model. And of course which garage they're going to be at. That way the police know as well what you're doing and they won't come to ask you questions.

Here is pretty much how it will go, The courtesy patrol will monitor what you are doing and if he or she thinks there is more than just friendly picture taking they will report it to parking office, then parking office will contact airport police, the airprot police use cameras that are set up around the airport as well, so they probably have already been monotoring you as well.. will rogers is a safe airport, they are even making it safer by adding almost 1,000 new camera in the next year!!! The garage is safe because as the previous post mention by skywestokc, a lot of employees for the airport and parking walk around in that garage,some of us employees use it as a excercise walking area lol. So mainly back to subject, people do take pics of the airport and the area around it, a lot of times they are approached by airport employees and sometimes they are not, just because they are not being appraoched doesnt mean that they are not being watched.. creepy i know but its for everyones safety at mind.

14. Default Re: WRWA Photos

^Ahh ok, thanks for that explanation Jesseda. I routinely take photos of planes when I go flying, but I wasn't sure how it works here when someone wants to take plane photos just for fun. Aviation photography is a hobby of mine (yes, not many people get that, but some have a fascination with cars, for me, it's planes :-)). I have no problem in being watched though.

Thought some of the aviation photographers on this board might find this interesting/useful. It is a listing of your rights as a photographer (written by an attorney). Might be nice to have on you if you get questioned by security.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Thread Information