Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land South and East of Everest Center

Default Land South and East of Everest Center

Does anyone know what exactly is happening west and south of the duck pond? I know the Lindsey is going to be expanded to 4 lanes, but why were properties demolished?

2. Default Re: Land South and East of Everest Center

To the east the old Islamic Center was demolished along with the house behind it to make way for a new Islamic Center. OU owns the land to the south of that (across Lindsey from the Duck Pond). OU demolished the Parkview Apartments there and I think they plan to build "retirement" apartments for alums wanting to retire back to Norman.

Default Re: Land South and East of Everest Center

There is a proposal for a medium density townhouse development there called Legacy Village. You can see the plan on the McKinney Partner's website under Planning projects: http://www.tmparch.com/

I don't know the current status of the project though. It would be great to see this start along with the OU housing at Lindsey & Jenkins. Lindsey is also being widened with new landscaping and sidewalks through that area.

Whatever they built there eventually, the old Parkview Apts. needed to go, just like the old Yorkshire Apts did. They were all merely passable, roughly, twenty years back.

The Lindsey location could be rather nice with a new development there, alum based or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Whatever they built there eventually, the old Parkview Apts. needed to go, just like the old Yorkshire Apts did. They were all merely passable, roughly, twenty years back.

The Lindsey location could be rather nice with a new development there, alum based or otherwise.
    It's great to see renewed interest and investment in the areas east of OU. That area for a long time has been kinda rundown. They really should extend the Legacy Trail that goes from downtown to Robinson by the tracks, and currently ends at Duffy St, south past Boyd to Lindsey where it would connect with the Duck Pond park. It would also be nice to see actual bike lanes along Brooks between Jenkins and Classen as that is a popular bike route going into campus from the east, and could connect to the trail along the tracks for access into downtown. There are two infill developments currently going up near where the trail would go north of Boyd: one on Monnett (small apartment building) and one by the Mont (401 Lofts).

A year or so ago the mayor of Norman expressed a desire to extend Legacy Trail trail to the south.

I would very much like to see Lindsey Street 4 laned all the way to I-35

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    A year or so ago the mayor of Norman expressed a desire to extend Legacy Trail trail to the south.

I would very much like to see Lindsey Street 4 laned all the way to I-35
    Me too. Do away with the center turn lanes and make it 4 lanes the whole length with bike lanes and new sidewalks on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Me too. Do away with the center turn lanes and make it 4 lanes the whole length with bike lanes and new sidewalks on both sides.
    Needs to happen ASAP, however, I doubt the stretch from Jenkins to Barry is never widened.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Needs to happen ASAP, however, I doubt the stretch from Jenkins to Barry is never widened.
    I'm not familiar with Barry. Did you mean Berry Road? Or maybe it's been renamed for Switzer? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not familiar with Barry. Did you mean Berry Road? Or maybe it's been renamed for Switzer? LOL
    I wouldn't be suprised....hahaha.

But they wont ever be able to widen it to 4 lanes in the section named above. Too many houses, and i really doubt that eminent domain could be used for convenience of a 4 lane road instead of 2.

those old farts in the old historic area of campus would SCREAM if you try to 4 lane that residential segment between berry and campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    My bad, besides if it was named after Switzer, they would probably call it God Ave.

13. Default Re: Land South and East of Everest Center

The Lindsey situation west of Campus is the perfect reason for an improved northern gateway to campus. It would be nicer if Main Street and then either University or Jenkins were used to be a new northern entry to campus that was redeveloped and heavily landscaped.

Lindsey Street west of campus stays so congested so much of the time that it hinders police and fire dept. traffic.
    It also hinders commerce.
    For the greater good of all,,,, buying a few houses to 4 lane Lindsey is completely justifiable.

Improved access to OU and Norman is needed from the OKC area but also from the south.

Here’s my solution from the south.

4 Lane Jenkins from Lindsey to HY 9. From HY 9 south build a new road to interstate standards. The road would continue in a southerly direction until it meets I-35.
    Norman really needs another bridge over the river. The growth of OU and Norman would justify its construction

16. Default Re: Land South and East of Everest Center

What would be nice is a just a new east side north/south limited access highway. The easiest option would probably be to just update Sooner Road/12th from OKC/Moore and then create a new east side loop that would go between 36th and 48th until Highway 9. Then from Highway 9 south along US 77 upgrade that some and then create a new diversion just before Noble that goes to the west to cross the river and intersect 35.

Another option could just be doing a loop around Norman. Where 77/Flood breaks off from I-35 on the north, create a new highway that would continue off to the east around the north side of Norman until the area I mentioned above and then loop back around. Still won't do much for traffic on I-35, but it would definitely offer quicker access (and more options) to OU.

Lindsey Street west of campus stays so congested so much of the time that it hinders police and fire dept. traffic.
    It also hinders commerce.
    For the greater good of all,,,, buying a few houses to 4 lane Lindsey is completely justifiable.
    there is plenty of right of way to build the road to 4 lanes with no turn lane

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Yep, no need for a turn lane. You can please the neighborhood by providing nice sidewalks (non-existent now), replacing any lost trees and planting twice as many as there are now, and putting in lighting that fits in better with the neighborhood (not the glaring acorn lights you see on the OU campus). Bike lanes would be a nice touch too as there are already quite a few bike commuters on Lindsey, at least have them from campus to Berry.

Totally agree that Lindsey from I-35 to campus, and Main from I-35 to University and University from Main to Boyd need upgrades as they are the main gateways to OU and are pretty pitiful in their current state.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    You are right I drove down Lindsey Street Friday and as you say there is enough room to build a 4 lane without a center turn lane.
    They would need to cut down or move several very big old trees, but it would be well worth it.

The City of Norman and OU need to make this a priority IMHO.

You are right I drove down Lindsey Street Friday and as you say there is enough room to build a 4 lane without a center turn lane.
    They would need to cut down or move several very big old trees, but it would be well worth it.

The City of Norman and OU need to make this a priority IMHO.
    Just a few, probably no more than 5 or 6 in the area around Flood and Lahoma that are too close to the road. If they do it 4 lanes I would hope they would build the road with curb and gutters (current Lindsey does not even have that west of campus) and then keep a 3-4 ft. strip of land on each side and plant trees all along it from I-35 to campus with the sidewalks on the other side. It would be really nice coming down Lindsey from the highway with trees lining the street all the way into campus, similar to what they have done with Lincoln north of the state capital.

OU and Norman really need to improve their street and parking capacity.
    I would like to see a Commuter rail station with a short spur located just north west of the duck pond
    With enough capacity it could help with large events and cut down on daily congestion.

I would like to see a Commuter rail station with a short spur located just north west of the duck pond
    With enough capacity it could help with large events and cut down on daily congestion.
    Commuter rail for local events and congestion ?, seriously, it's what, 6 blocks from the duck pond to the major event locations on campus.

Yes, you and I have had a discussion about that before. I totally disagreed with you about having a rail station in that nice park setting adjacent to the campus. I grew up in Norman,went to school at OU, and have been attending football games since the early 60's. Traffic can be very congested at times but it's that way at any major college and football stadium on game days. I'm sure it can be improved but a rail station by the Duck Pond should not be a priority.

Like most locations, there are no real parking issues unless you insist on parking within 40' of an entrance or insist on arriving last minute. When even a tub like me can enjoy a leisurely stroll, or use the available but oft ignored transit modes from places like Lloyd Noble, there is really no rail solution needed for any event in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Commuter rail for local events and congestion ?, seriously, it's what, 6 blocks from the duck pond to the major event locations on campus.
    I’m talking about a regional commuter rail system than would serve the needs of Norman & OU along with the rest of central Oklahoma. There are many people coming from other area community’s to OU on a daily basis. For large events they could add additional trains just like other major city’s do.

Thread Information