Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829 LastLast

Thread: SoSA District

1. Default Re: SoSA District

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    Sounds like you’re just spoiling for a fight. I love Lovallo House.

By the way, there absolutely WAS a controversy. It was covered extensively in the media and included very heated public meetings. And I would deem a protest coming from the people across the street a “neighborhood protest.” Not sure what else it should be called.

For the record I’m glad Lovallo house prevailed and happy to see the architectural changes in the district. I said so much in my post. Perhaps you have chip on YOUR shoulder?
    Sorry… no fight from me.

The “controversy” was the result of ONE neighbor’s incessant pestering. ALL other neighbors supported the design. Technically, you’re right, it was a neighborhood protest. The entire neighborhood protested the one neighbor’s irrational arguments.

I agree with you that SoSA is a positive architectural oasis. I’m glad you like the Lovallo house!

Default Re: SoSA District

Setback in SoSa essentially became an unenforceable issue after Fitzsimmons Architects’ Lovallo House design prevailed vs neighborhood protests. I’ve never heard whether it was the case or not, but I always wondered if the Lovallo design wasn’t inspired in part by the neighborhood nose-thumbing that Frank Lloyd Wright gave Chicago’s Hyde Park neighborhood when he designed Robie house to defy setback rules. I toured Robie house not long before the time of Lovallo’s construction and it really stuck with me during the Lovallo controversy.

Either way, I’m glad OKC has this interesting enclave that’s a neat little architectural lab, and even more glad that it’s not an actual enclave but public city streets in the heart of the community.
    There is definitely still a huge outcry from projects pushing past setbacks. Its literally the one thing that will guarantee opposition. And its kind of a joke in some instances. Sure, you dont want to allow egregious cases of going way farther forward than whats existing. But whats jokey about it is that giant wedge in the home above isnt counted towards the setback because it isnt heated and cooled part of the house or covered patio, which is where you measure to. So while its not counted to the setback, it can still completely block the views. However, its allowed per the rules.

Just seems like a waste of valuable urban land to force someone to not use 25ft (something like 1,250sf) of their property because of some old houses that will likely be torn down anyways. There needs to be a little more wiggle room if you can show you arent harming anyones view or value. This isnt some cookie cutter suburban neighborhood. Its downtown and its perfectly ok for it to show a variety of styles, shapes and sizes.

Update: Saint Anthony's is now called SSM Health

so this district is now known as SoSSM!

Woo Hoo! Welcome to SoSSM!

SoSSM...rhymes with awesome? That's SoSSM!

6. Default Re: SoSA District

I still like Emerson Heights haha

Blog Entries

http://journalrecord.com/2018/12/17/...causes-a-rift/

Anybody know what the setback change is?

Sorry, not a fan.

I still like Emerson Heights haha
    How about LOSA? LOL

12. Default Re: SoSA District

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    http://journalrecord.com/2018/12/17/...causes-a-rift/

Anybody know what the setback change is?
    In Molly’s article… Commissioner Scott Cravens said while he sympathizes with the developers, the Cottage District needs some type of regulation. “This (area) got away from the city in a regulations and guidelines perspective,” he said. “I support this because it brings an end to that.”

BS.

“Under-regulation” of this tiny area hasn’t upset the space-time continuum or glitched the matrix. The city’s urban fabric will be just fine without additional regulation of SoSA. It’s never been under-regulated. It’s had confusing, overlapping, unclear, and stupid regulations…

For perspective, “this area” is the same size as Quail Springs Mall. It’s a tiny district. Leave it alone. Let it happen. It wants to be unique…

Has to do with different setback requirements for single family and multifamily/office uses. Multifamily and office dont have any setback requirements but that was going to change, or not change now. I guess its not official yet. The NIMBYism is high in this neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    In Molly’s article… Commissioner Scott Cravens said while he sympathizes with the developers, the Cottage District needs some type of regulation. “This (area) got away from the city in a regulations and guidelines perspective,” he said. “I support this because it brings an end to that.”

BS.

“Under-regulation” of this tiny area hasn’t upset the space-time continuum or glitched the matrix. The city’s urban fabric will be just fine without additional regulation of SoSA. It’s never been under-regulated. It’s had confusing, overlapping, unclear, and stupid regulations…

For perspective, “this area” is the same size as Quail Springs Mall. It’s a tiny district. Leave it alone. Let it happen. It wants to be unique…
    Yes please. For a conservative state, there is still pockets where people want a ton of regulation. This neighborhood is basically downtown, let there be some variety and density.

Nimbys don’t get much worse than SF or LA.

Deleted a bunch of posts.

Intentional or not, the discussion was getting far too political.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I am waiting on the first really strong windstorm to see how that holds up.

I do not dig that house at all and if I'm not mistaken the architecture firm has moved out of the building next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I do not dig that house at all and if I'm not mistaken the architecture firm has moved out of the building next door.
    At first I thought you were about to say, "the architecture firm has moved out of state...."

Ha, no.

Looks like the business name was removed from the sign

I love that house. It looks so cool in the sunset driving down 6th

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    I love that house. It looks so cool in the sunset driving down 6th
    It feels disjointed and hodgepodge to me. It doesn't look congruent in my opinion.

These district identifiers have gone up on street signs:

One of OKC's oldest homes to see new life as mixed-use project

An ambitious renovation is planned for a Victorian home in Midtown, which dates to before statehood.

Developer Keena Oden recently purchased the house at 614 NW 8th, just south of Saint Anthony Hospital. It is believed to be the oldest existing structure in the neighborhood known as SoSA.

Plans filed with the city show a design by Ken Fitzsimmons of TASK Design which would convert the structure to feature two furnished upstairs apartments, and a meeting room and boutique space on the ground floor.

Although much of the original exterior will be restored, there will be some new space added as well as parking on the rear alley.

The apartments are to be furnished and the meeting space would feature artwork in a gallery setting.

Oden hopes to find a nice boutique or gift shop to take the other downstairs space.

Some original 'gingerbread' elements have already been revealed through careful removal of non-original siding.

The plans will be reviewed by the Urban Design Commission on July 26th. The city's Planning Department has recommended the commission approve the application.

If approved, Oden would invite artist to submit works to the gallery on the theme “What is home?”. Fresh start students from the Homeless Alliance would be especially encouraged to participate. All ticket sale proceeds would benefit the Homeless Alliance and artists would receive 100% of the sale.
    Progress:

^

This little project is still moving along:

^

This little project is still moving along:

Looks like it's on the market for a cool $1.275MM: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...72272800_zpid/

No interior pictures, sadly - but I'm sure that's because they're still working on the property.

Thread Information