Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

Default Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

What exactly is the municipal code for Billboards in Okc?

I have searched for info and it seems there is a great degree of vagueness to the Billboard advertisers.

Also what is the latest ruling for Billboard placement along the new stretch of I-40?

Default Re: Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

Billboards were banned along the new route of I-40 and most of I-235. I don't think that's changed.

Also, I know they stopped issuing new permits a few years ago for six months, but not sure what happened after that.

I remember the moratorium for new permits, but I believe that ended.

I am curious to know if there are any plans to remove existing billboards around town. Consider it some type of Project "clean up", or Keep Okc Beautiful. I remember billboards being discussed a couple of years ago, but I think everything is back to normal.

There are new billboards going up all over Okc and then there are the huge digital billboards.

The last I heard (think it was over in Steve's blog) that the ban/moratorium is still in place for bill boards along the new I-40 BUT there is a grandfather clause so it doesn't mean there won't be any (just those that existed prior to the ban).

There is a new billboard just N of Chesapeake's main campus, on the NE/C of 63rd & Classen, just west of 909 N.W. 63. It was erected this week, but isn't finished. It's a monster. I can't believe that CHK would do this themselves, and on the other hand, I can't believe that they don't control that property or would allow it to go in.

Anybody know anything about this?

That property is owned by CHK but there was a billboard there before.

Sounds like this is just a replacement and therefore wouldn't necessarily require a new permit.

7. Default Re: Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

Good questions...

The planning commission clearly hates them and pole signs.

9. Default Re: Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

There is nothing wrong with the billboards. There are a lot of useful info to discover.

But if it make everyone happy, lessen the amount of traditional billboards and replace with digital, that way several ads can be displayed.

Could someone tell me what this spite for billboards is? I actually like the digital billboards. Don't mind 'em at all.

Personally, I find them of interest and value on metropolitan highways, but not on rural highways or metro sidestreets.

I like the digitals also. Dislike ones that have been allowed to disintegrate or are religious or anti-abortion.

Are there really more billboards in OKC than other metropolitan areas?

It really doesn't seem like it to me.

I like billboards. They add to the character of a city, believe it or not.

This should answer all of your questions as to why billboards are actually a bad thing - http://www.scenic.org/billboards

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    I like billboards. They add to the character of a city, believe it or not.
    I've spent countless miles playing the alphabet game as a kid and now as a parent with my own children. Billboards are a part of the road trip experience. That said, there does need to be a balance. Too much of anything is no bueno.

Billboards are eye pollution and an assault on being able to see the surroundings of the city. Travel to Maine, Vermont or Canada and when you return you will notice how unsightly they are. That said, if they are going to be allowed they should be regulated with stricter size and placement allowances.

In too much quantity, yes they look bad. But as I said, they can add to the character of a city. Every time I drive through a new city or state I haven't been, I look at the billboards. What stores, restaurants, attractions, etc. does X have that isn't in OKC. I might not stop at every one of them, but you can get a feel for the city. Not to mention, they are great for passing time on the road.

19. Default Re: Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

SkyWestOKC is the winner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    ...but you can get a feel for the city.
    It's interesting to note how many medical/illness related billboards we have, which is reflective of the recent ranking of OKC as the 50th most unhealthy city out of the 50 largest in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordizm View Post
    I've spent countless miles playing the alphabet game as a kid and now as a parent with my own children. Billboards are a part of the road trip experience. That said, there does need to be a balance. Too much of anything is no bueno.
    Unless you are at Taco Bueno, then more bueno is a good thing...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    It's interesting to note how many medical/illness related billboards we have, which is reflective of the recent ranking of OKC as the 50th most unhealthy city out of the 50 largest in the U.S.
    At least we all know now that you can plan your emergencies in advance and book a reservation online with Saints ER. So, if you're planning on cutting off your finger, you can call and book your ER appointment first.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    At least we all know now that you can plan your emergencies in advance and book a reservation online with Saints ER. So, if you're planning on cutting off your finger, you can call and book your ER appointment first.
    If your a resident and cut off a finger, you should already know where to go for treatment, if your driving through OKC and cut your finger off, what in the hell are you doing.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    If your a resident and cut off a finger, you should already know where to go for treatment, if your driving through OKC and cut your finger off, what in the hell are you doing.
    Yeah, but at least now with the billboards, you know that you won't have to wait to be seen, because you can schedule you're emergency appointment in advance.

25. Default Re: Okc and it's Love for Billboard advertising.

But it requires a credit card with a $1 charge. What to stop them from charging your credit card with medical bills.... BEWARE!

Thread Information