Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Name the Boulevard

Default Name the Boulevard

It seems the Mayor is suggesting the name of the new boulevard to be Oklahoma City Boulevard. I hope that is an attempt to get people talking about the name becasue that suggestion is a non-starter.

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...ity-boulevard/

To find a name maybe we need to eliminate certain categories.

1) Do not name it after anyone. If they want to buy naming rights they need to pony up some money,

and

2) Don't name it after anything to do with the State. No Rose Rock Blvd or Mistletoe Street.

The street should lend itself to marketing of not just the City, but the street itself. OKC needs an iconic name to go with an iconic street. This should become the address that everyone in OKC wants to live on, shop on, and do business on. When people in Des Moines, Omaha and Sacramento think of OKC, this should be the street they think of. It needs to be our Peachtree, our 5th Ave, and our Michigan Ave.

I would like to suggest the name 'Energy'. It is a positive, powerful, and inspiring word. It is our past and it is our future -it is Oklahoma City.

Default Re: Name the Boulevard

In any case it will probably be designated and signed i40 business route which will dwarf the name somewhat.

like here at el reno, just saying downtown instead.
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...113.59,,0,-4.7

One of the first names that comes to my mind is Renaissance Boulevard but then again it's really cliché.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    One of the first names that comes to my mind is Renaissance Boulevard but then again it's really cliché.
    The Renaissance Hotel would love that. LOL

Park Place Ave. and Humphrey's can name one of his streets on the river at his development Boardwalk Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    In any case it will probably be designated and signed i40 business route which will dwarf the name somewhat.

like here at el reno, just saying downtown instead.
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...113.59,,0,-4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Park Place Ave. and Humphrey's can name one of his streets on the river at his development Boardwalk Ave.
    Oddly enough that is what then mayor Humphreys suggested (after the relocation was announced), that we keep the elevated crosstown and use it for the business route. Even though he had stated we couldn't afford the $1M/year maintenance cost on the crosstown!

I liked some of the suggestions over in the article thread

Oklahoma Station Blvd. Steve mentioned it was the original name of OKC (didn't know that).

Land Run Blvd. Since the Land run monument is very nearby. Might even be able to reconfigure some of the existing pieces or the ones still to come to "cross" the boulevard or even be "running down the median or along side it. Get the monument back up to the original designed 77 pieces (think the current plans have cut that in about half). There was to be one piece representative of each county.

Rodeo Drive/Blvd. With the correct Okie pronunciation of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Oddly enough that is what then mayor Humphreys suggested (after the relocation was announced), that we keep the elevated crosstown and use it for the business route. Even though he had stated we couldn't afford the $1M/year maintenance cost on the crosstown!

I liked some of the suggestions over in the article thread

Oklahoma Station Blvd. Steve mentioned it was the original name of OKC (didn't know that).

Land Run Blvd. Since the Land run monument is very nearby. Might even be able to reconfigure some of the existing pieces or the ones still to come to "cross" the boulevard or even be "running down the median or along side it. Get the monument back up to the original designed 77 pieces (think the current plans have cut that in about half). There was to be one piece representative of each county.

Rodeo Drive/Blvd. With the correct Okie pronunciation of course!
    Business routes are mostly not controlled access except for where they interchange with the interstate, just signed like a highway to inform those not familiar with the area how to get back to it, often they were an old highway the interstate replaced like 66 that go through the cores of downtown areas that were already built up and would not be able or chosen not to be made into controlled access but connect to the interstate on one or both sides of the road. Though several are either controlled access or have elements of that in parts of it. It may even help with funding.

I kind of liked the Ellison Blvd and Ellison Ave(after ralph ellision) even better.... Im not a fan of anything about the Thunder, The Sooners, The cowboys.... I think this is an chance for Oklahomans to think outside the box and come up with a name that is not only unique but classic. I dont think it should be Oklahoma City Blvd.... thats way to easy and simple to come up with.... Renaissance Blvd or Glendale Ave.... I dont know keep the Ideas coming!

As I mentioned in Steve's Blog, I like:

Red Bud Parkway
    Capitol Boulevard

Maps Boulevard

Regarding Capitol Blvd, if we're making a reference to the State Capitol Building then Capitol would be the correct term however the Boulevard does not run along the State Capitol. If we are referring to OKC as being the capital city of Oklahoma then the proper name should be Capital Boulevard. There's a difference.

Blog Entries

Pioneer Parkway

Gateway Boulevard

Freedom Way (with a series of statues and memorials honoring Oklahoma soldiers, states-persons, etc. Move the 45 Inf. museum by it, etc.)

Redbud Parkway...lined with redbud trees of course. That shouldn't offend anyone.

I liked the suggestion of Ellison Blvd.. It'd be nice to celebrate some Deep Deuce history, and show that Oklahoma literature isn't all Cowboys and Indians. Not that there is anything wrong with Western literature, though.

Anything beyond Oklahoma City Blvd. I would be fine with, really.

I would suggest Urban Preservation Trail to honor the urbanist and preservationist that have given so much of their time in the valliant effort to save our historically significant downtown core.

Core Blvd.

Riverside Boulevard or Riverside Drive? I'd even prefer the cliche Renaissance Parkway or Millenium Drive over most of the hokey names mentioned, people need to think bigger. again, I give Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly as our inspiration.

Big league ave or Fresca street would be wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Riverside Boulevard or Riverside Drive? I'd even prefer the cliche Renaissance Parkway or Millenium Drive over most of the hokey names mentioned, people need to think bigger. again, I give Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly as our inspiration.

I didn't want to be the first say it, but nearly every name already mentioned is completely devoid of imagination and none lend themselves to marketability. No regional company is going to choose to move to downtown OKC so they can have a Redbud or Ellison street address. The street name needs to project an image that companies locating along it are going to want to adopt.

If I had to vote right now it would go like this:

1. Energy
    2. Land Run
    3. Crack Dealer Ave
    4. All the other suggested names tie for last.

Good thing your vote doesn't matter, Floridian.

Anchor.
    Beacon.
    Access.

Bold, firm names with strong meaning.

....Emerald.

There's already a Land Run street over by the fairgrounds. How about Stampede Parkway or better yet, Cattle Drive? Get it?

Just stick with the numbers and make it S. 2¾ St....DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    ...The street should lend itself to marketing of not just the City, but the street itself. OKC needs an iconic name to go with an iconic street. This should become the address that everyone in OKC wants to live on, shop on, and do business on. When people in Des Moines, Omaha and Sacramento think of OKC, this should be the street they think of. It needs to be our Peachtree, our 5th Ave, and our Michigan Ave.

I would like to suggest the name 'Energy'. It is a positive, powerful, and inspiring word. It is our past and it is our future -it is Oklahoma City.
    Not saying the marketability is a bad idea, but were any of the bolded names you mentioned intended/started out to be iconic that everyone wanted to "live on, shop on, and do business on"? Or did they become that over time? I don't see anything particularly inspiring about the names you mentioned in and of themselves (have never even heard of Peachtree). While the ULI folks didn't go as far as to not recommend building it, they did come to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be what was envisioned for a myriad of reasons (hmmm, their is a name).

Thread Information